“Exceeds Expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa

You added Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa to your Saves list
Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Waterfront, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
“Exceeds Expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I booked my December trip to Issimo Suites in July. My fiance and I liked the price, the free breakfast, the possibility of seeing monkeys at breakfast, the great spa deals, and the raving reviews of the staff.

The free breakfast was amazing. Chocolate croissants, fresh fruit, hash browns, an omelet station, rice and beans, yogurt, and more. We actually did see monkeys at breakfast, and at lunch and at dinner! Meals were 30% at the hotel. And because the food was good, we took advantage of that numerous days. We were told the food in Costa Rica wasn't worth writing home about, but we enjoyed it.

My fiance and I had two, hour-long couples massages for 69 dollars each.

When I had to print out and fax paperwork for my job, the staff was more than willing to help me with that. They also helped us book activities such as ziplining, ATV tours, jet skis, boat tours, etc.

I was worried when we first arrived. I was in jeans and hot. The AC in our room wasn't on and the florescent lights weren't flattering. And there were two lizards on our wall. By the time I cooled down, noticed we had some non-florescent lamps, and decided to ignore the lizards, I felt a lot better about Issimo. The bed was incredible. If I hadn't been so tired at night, I would have flipped the mattress over to see what kind it was and bought one for myself. There were also really comfortable "couches" or bedded lounge areas in the room which were nice to rest on when you came in hot and sweaty from an a walk in the national park.

The beach was a bit of a hike but it wasn't a big deal to me because we did so much besides go to the beach. Also, we saw lizards, sloths and monkeys on the way to and from the beach. I enjoyed that walk more than the $10 per person walk in the national park.

What I liked about Issimo, is that what we saw was what we got, and in some cases, it exceeded expectations. So often, websites make rooms look bigger than they are, make deals look better than they are. But with Issimo, there were no disappointments only pleasant surprises.

The week convinced me that if I were to return to Manuel Antonio, I'd be returning to Issimo as well.

Room Tip: We had a junior suite and it had stone floors. It felt sort of like a gym locker room. I'd go wi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I recently stayed at Issimo Suites for my honeymoon. My husband couldn’t have picked a better place to spend our week. The Issimo website didn’t prepare me for the amazing views we had from our room and the incredible hospitality we experienced. We’re not typically early birds but while there we kept the curtains to our two glass walls open and woke up with the sun (around 5am) every day. The first morning we were amazed to find several monkeys (white-faced capuchins) playing in the tree outside. Many of them jumped on to one of the roofs of the hotel below us and were running around playing – not a bad way to start the morning. We could also hear the howler monkeys off in the distance. This didn’t happen every morning but almost every day we did get to see monkeys either in the morning or in the afternoon (some would even climb around in the pool or restaurant area trying to nab some food).

We also really enjoyed the little things the staff did. We would always have a tray of coffee waiting outside our room by 5:30am. Our room was decorated with flower petals, washcloth animals and candles when we arrived. We also had champagne glasses and a bottle of champagne waiting for us. We were on our honeymoon, though, so I’m not sure if we got extra treatment as a result. Lastly, the staff members were genuinely driven to please us. They would make our eggs to order with breakfast and wanted to make sure we had anything and everything we needed at all times. All the while wearing a smile on their face.

In addition to the staff, I can’t say enough good things about Issimo. The open-air restaurant was amazing – food and ambiance. The rooms with their gorgeous views, balcony, Jacuzzi and even a refrigerator and microwave made us feel like we had all the luxuries we could want. The proximity to a small beautiful beach (8-minute walk) was nice as well. I guess the only downside is that the main strip of restaurants was a bit of a hike but you can easily get a taxi for about 4-5 colones ($8-10). A small price to pay for the seclusion and beauty provided at Issimo.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 106 and loved it.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed in a penthouse suite here with a great ocean view for what I thought was a very affordable price. One of the nicest parts was the secluded beach that was walking distance. It was great to escape the crowds at the national park. I would recommend driving into town for
dinner. Very friendly, helpful staff.

We dropped off some post cards but I don't think they ever mailed them out. Overall a very pleasant a stay.

• Stayed December 2012
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

My wife and I spent our 25th wedding anniversary here for 6 nights in Dec 2012, room 105. We were extremely pleased with our stay. EVERYONE WAS SO FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL! The huge picture window and balcony over looking the cliff and ocean was beautiful. White face monkeys greeted us on our balcony 3 mornings. There was a pot of coffee at the door every morning, but if you want more than 2 small cups, you have to ask for more. The food was very good. Drinks were expensive at the bar but they had a long happy hour. The spa and massage does need some improvement. It was more of an oil rubdown than a massage. Elizabeth at the front desk was amazing! She was exceptionally helpful and we felt that it was "her" hotel and she was there to take care of US. My wife does want me to suggest a golfcart ride to the beach. We will definitely stay here again.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stayed here with my sister for 3 nights in November 2012. Although this was more of a couples resort, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel staff was very accomodating by helping to arrange many of our tours, cab pick-ups, spa apointments, etc. The room was beautiful and clean. I read a few reviews prior about this place being under construction, however we did not experience any construction while we were there and honestly didn't even see any signs of construction on or around the property. The pool is quite large and the hotel is realxing and quiet. It's a great location - close to the beach, near the National Park, and close to Quepos. Would definitely visit again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights here in penthouse 104. the hotel is older as compared to the pictures on the website but is clean and well kept. Pool area get a great amount of son and is great for tanning. pool is large and fun to cool off. The vibe of the hotel places you in a very relaxing mood. We did not have any insect or lizard issues in our room as others mentioned. Our room had a beautiful side few of the ocean and I loved the large balcony and high ceilings. The bed/mattress was very very soft and comfortable. Staff was amazing!! Always genuinely wanting to make your stay better (Alex at the bar and Dixon at the restaurant). Drinks were 1/2 off at happy hour ($5) from 12-6pm, although not very strong. Breakfast selection was not very large but plenty to satisfy your hunger. Coffee pot was left at our front door every morning at 6AM, which was a nice. We had a car so drove to the beach (the one up the road and then down the unpaved road- needs 4x4 for this); we did not like the one where you walk down the road, as the bay has a lot of rocks as you walk into the ocean. We also did not eat dinners at the hotel and drove out for local cuisine- less than 5 min drive (highly recommend The Garden Falls and Agua Azul).

Capelle aan den IJssel, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed at the hotel in november 2012. It was a very good hotel with very friendly personell, nice clean rooms with a perfect view on the rainforest near the beaches. The dining in the evening is also very good, very nice open restaurant with view on the rainforest, good service and DELICIOUS food. Every evening was a joy with perfect service of Mr. Dixon. We'll be back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!