“Loved some things, but with room for improvement!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa

Save Saved
You added Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa to your Saves list
Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Waterfront, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
“Loved some things, but with room for improvement!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

When a quick phone call on a Saturday morning revealed that Issimo was willing to give me a junior suite for $89 which was half of the off-peak rate, I immediately gave my credit card details to seal the deal. I regretted my decision when I saw signs outside various high-end hotels in the area advertising space and walk-in rates. I wished that I had held off to do an ocular and make a comparison.
Marketed as a honeymoon hotel with no children allowed, Issimo lived up to expectations in terms of setting: a breathtaking view of the Pacific from the room's balcony, rose petals scattered on the bed, complimentary bottle of champagne and breakfast coffee delivered at your doorstep.
Prices were excellent: The 50-minute massage special was a good deal at $29 and food and drinks were at 50% off during happy hour at 1-5pm. The included breakfast was delicious and consisted of combined buffet (fruits, sausage, breads, coffee) and a la carte (Continental or American).
This is where the honeymoon ends. The servers take FOREVER to do anything (30 minutes to get my bill even after i followed up and I was the only customer), only 1 or 2 can converse in English. The receptionists don't pay much attention to the guests and with the exception of one server named Alex and the masseuse, everyone needs a lesson in customer service with a smile. Some utensils had stains.
The room looked pretty at first but on closer inspection, towels were frayed, the safe didn't work and the jacuzzi spewed water like crazy when I tried to turn it on. The bed was comfortable. Btw, the shower/jacuzzi has no partition whatsoever from the room so the place is definitely not for staying with anyone other than your significant other!
It was my bad not to check if the hotel had beach access. Apparently, only 3 or 4 hotels in the area had it. So I had to drive my car to another area and hike 10 minutes through a jungle to get to the beach. It was nice enough, but I like my beach to come with beach chairs and restaurant service hehe. So I much preferred our stay at Arenas del Mar. The pool was nice and had a view.
All in all, not bad for the low, low price that I paid. I'd feel sorry though for anyone who pays the full price. I think management should focus efforts on training the staff, fixing stuff that don't work and replacing those towels!

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

539 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We arrived at night in the rain and the staff was very polite and greeted us. We could not see that the place was under construction. The pool was closed being retiled. The deck was GONE.... (hazardous).... in our room the worker was working on getting the power on as it had blown a fuse. This happened again 20 min later. Let me say had we been told this before hand, we would have booked another property. We booked online through TINGO so of course NONE of the construction was mentioned the price was not even that great.

Forward.... I kinda think the rooms are cheesy... a little too open. One chair.... not two.... the windows seemed to have mirrors inside so we could not see out at night even with the lights out. DAYLIGHT, it was a gorgeous view. The bed was very soft and comfortable. The staff outstanding. My only complaint was the property was under construction. We walked down to the beach and back for breakfast. Our waiter was amazing. He was there to make everything just as we wanted. We left after breakfast and continued on our journey.

All in all, I am neutral. Would have enjoyed the place had it not been in the state it was.... but the staff was exceptional.....

Room Tip: ask for a porch with chairs better than the top room that has no porch.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My boyfriend found this place from a recommendation from a friend. It's small, definitely a honeymoon kind of place. The rooms are awesome and the staff is very friendly. We were only going to stay one night but ended up staying two. It's always the little things that make the difference. We had flower petals on our bed when we checked in and the staff sent us up a bottle of sparkling champagne. It was also really nice to have a hot pot of coffee waiting at our door when we woke up. The entire stay was awesome, I only wish we could've stayed longer. Super romantic.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Issimo for 5 nights and it was fantastic! The room was awesome, food was delicious, service was great, and all of the staff were friendly, polite, and accommodating (especially our server Dixon). They also have great views from the rooms and the pool is very nice. We even had cute little monkey visitors. The room price was terrific and the food was all 50% off.

• Stayed October 2012
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This place is absolutely beautiful. So serene and romantic. We loved it. The service was also incredible. The views from our suite were amazing. We also felt safe with their security guard always at the gate. I would go back there anytime. The jacuzzi was filled with fresh flowers and candles everytime they cleaned our room. We witnessed one of the best sunsets of our life on our very own balcony. Of course, can't forget the fact that our bed was super duper comfy!

Room Tip: Awesome stay!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Osos, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed at Issimo October 3-13 2012. We arrived at the hotel at 1:30 am after a three hour tour, he he, from San Jose airport. The front desk personnel, bellhop and security guard all met us smiling and ready to help. I Couldn't wait to write this review as this hotel is off the hook. From the stunning view as we open the drapes and reveal floor to ceiling glass looking right at the Pacific Ocean, monkeys that joined us while enjoying our delicious included breakfast, very nice pool with 12 foot deep section,10 minute walk to the beach complete with iguanas, warm ocean water, afternoon trade winds and an occasional rain shower to cool off, Manuel Antonio SP 2 km away, everything you could possibly dream of doing close by and the warmest most accommodating and happy people that make Costa Rica so welcoming and unforgettable!!!!!
Greeted each dayfor breakfast by either Dixon or Alexander, we enjoyed fresh tropical fruit, fresh squeezed juice, banana pancakes, muffins and the best coffee on the planet. After this for an appetizer you are handed a menu to order your breakfast:
Local (Gallo Pinto, {Rice and black beans}, eggs, fried plantains and toast)
American (Eggs, bacon, hash browns and toast) or
Healthy (Granola, yogurt, fresh fruit)
All food was served hot, pleasingly presented, and we were taking care of like royalty. The staff is wonderfully attentive and very friendly. We also enjoyed two dinners while there and they were just as good if not better. Fresh fish is out of this world, Steaks were good too. Edgar was our waiter, again, happy, polite, warm caring and attentive.
The room was absolutely stunning!!!! Greis was our room attendant and every day we had different sculptures created from our towels, fresh flower petals all over our bed, the hot tub and the sink. King sized bed with fabulous memory foam, whirlpool hot tub, daybeds by the front windows, great lighting, fans and AC that really worked. Open floor plan with plenty of room to move about, including a primo deck that also looks at the ocean, open shower, walk in closet, safe, fridge, microwave and wi-fi so I could post daily photos and notes to all our family and friends back home, rubbing it in just a bit, poor working stiffs!!!
At one point after hearing how the northern area of Costa Rica was so beautiful and offered all the zip lining and cloud forests we just jumped in the rental truck and drove 7 hours to the wonderful towns of La Fortuna and Monteverde. We left in such a spur of the moment rush we didn't even tell the staff at Issimo. We returned 3 days and two nights later to meet with Tim, the owner of our castle away from home and the staff at Issimo waiting and truly concerned for our welfare, at 1 am!!!!! The concern for their guests and their welfare, on top of pampering us beyond imagination is unheard of. Apologies don't suffice but afterwards the running joke was to hide our eyes as we walked by as the staff laughed and Tim told them to put a GPS tracker on us. These people truly CARE about their guests, like I have never experienced. Sorry again Tim!!
Our days were filled with the beauty and splendor that defines Costa Rica. Everywhere we went we were warmly greeted and welcomed, this was a large part of what made the trip so pleasant. We zip-lined, walked the suspended bridges, visited the butterfly garden, massive insect collection, 3rd largest in the world, and snake and frog exhibition. We visited the breathtaking La Fortuna waterfall and swam in its pool. It poured rain all the way down then cleared up for the walk out. Visited Arenal Springs where they have pools filled with the water that is heated by the Arenal Volcano, again verrrry beautiful. We kicked it on fabulous beaches and hiked through unimaginable jungles. We wandered through quaint little towns and stopped at unbelievable vistas, we saw monkeys, sloths, iguanas, crocodiles, birds of every color, butterflies that defy imagination, tropical fruits growing wild and flowers so mesmerizing they seem almost fake, and stunning sunsets, this country is truly exquisite. The thing that amazed me is I missed Issimo and was glad to drive back in the middle of the night.
I currently live in Los Osos on the Central Coast of California, in its own right a slice of paradise. I have lived here most all my life and regularly say that I don't really see any need to live elsewhere, this was before I had the pleasure of visiting Costa Rica. If you want a vacation filled with adventure and excitement, a destination that will amaze you with beauty and nature, a place where you can go all day or relax to your hearts content then Costa Rica is for you. If what you want is all of these and on top of it all, to stay at a place that will make you NOT want to go home, the Issimo Suites must be your destination. To EVERYONE, at Issimo Suites please accept my deepest appreciation, what you do is above and beyond my wildest expectations. What you do and how you do it is a big part of what made this the vacation of a lifetime, one I will never forget and that I will not be able to get back soon enough to do again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 112. It faces the ocean, shares an outside deck with 111. Room was perfect!!!!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

This review is long overdue. We stayed at Issimo in November 2011. Without a doubt, this is my most favorite place we have ever stayed. The floor to ceiling windows in our room revealed a gorgeous view, and we awoke to the sounds of monkeys every morning and were sometimes greeted by them at breakfast. The bed was extremely comfortable, and I loved the spa-like bath. The food and customer service was the best part. Breakfast and dinner were both fabulous. The fresh fruit, coffee, juice, and fish were so satisfying. We ate other places for the adventure of it, but my mouth would have been perfectly happy dining nowhere else. The waitstaff was filled with great people. They were fun-loving and attentive and could all speak English, but it was more fun to practice Spanish. I very much look forward to staying there again!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!