“Good location, average place to stay” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Babaloo Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manuel Antonio National Park
Hotel Babaloo Inn
Manuel Antonio Hwy | in front of Mar Luna 50 mts North of school, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good location, average place to stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

The location of the Babaloo Inn is great- within walking distance to the bus stop that can take you to Manuel Antonio National Park and the beaches. The bus also goes past all the restaurants on the main street.

There wasn't anything good about the rooms, but a place to sleep. There was a dead gecko outline on the bathroom door which was a little freaky-- didn't seem like anyone tried to clean it. You are in the jungle so geckos are everywhere, but they were a little too everywhere for my liking.

The pool is awful. Very small and not worth going to. If you're looking for a cheap place to stay w good location and no amenities, its ok.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Red Hook, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Just got back from a great trip to Costa Rica with a friend . I booked this hotel based on Lonely Planet and recomendations from here. Upon entering our room it was VERY musty. Since it had A.C. I figuered it would clear up when we got back from the beach.
After the beach we came back and showered ( No hot water). O.K. it was hot and humid so a cold shower wasn't that bad. We then went to dinner. Got back around 7:30. Found the A.C. was too noisy to run, The door to the balcony had no screen so only a small wondow was available for airflow. After 15- 20 min trying to read my book under a very harsh ceiling light, with the musty smell we asked to see a different room. it was the same. When i inquired about how much the room was for the night and he said $ 69
I knew we needed to find something else. We packed up to leave and while putting our things in the car the night guy called us over. He called the owner who offered to take off $10 dollars and move us to a suite. They were better but still a bit musty. the women Fay,
I found to be very rude. We left and found another place closer to the beach that was much nicer. ( It was a $120 room we got for the same $ 70 inc. breakfast). The bar at the place had a band and pool tables. Was a much better experience.

Summary.
Room was VERY musty, loud A.C. with wires hanging off, no Hot water, Glaring overhead light.
If you go during summer, ( rainy season) there were lots of vacancies so you can go
without a reservation and look around for a good deal.

To the owner,
Tear out the carpets- they are the problem
Put in a screen door for the deck
Make sure the hot water is on
Replace ancient A.C.
Put in a small reading lamp
lower price during low season

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

We were in Manuel Antonio one of the busiest weeks of the year, over Easter! We were lucky to find a room at Babloo Inn. Our room was great, I think #6. We over looked the woods and if you sat quietly on the porch you could a large amount of wildlife. We saw at least a dozen monkey eating the mangos early one morning. Iguana's throughout the day. It was great. Be careful at night the bugs will fly into your room if the lights are on in your room and it is dark outside when coming in from the porch! The refrigerators in the room are GREAT to have along with the coffee maker and Cafe Milagro coffee. Cafe Milagro is within walking distance for breakfast, hightly recommended! There is also a super market with in walking distance (Super Josef) where you can purchase drinks for the beach, etc. The restaurant across the street is very good, as is the tapas restaurant down the street near cafe milagro. All within walking distance. You can take the public bus to the beach.

While at the Babaloo Inn I left some things in a drawer, and THEY CONTACTED ME TO TELL ME!!! I have left things in other hotels and they have never been found again. They were happy to hold on to the things until I could have someone pick them up for me. THANK YOU SO MUCH! The staff is quiet friendly and helpful, but this was going out of the way. Watch out for falling mangos, they are delicious however!!!!

We went horsebackriding on the beach with iguana tours, would highly recommend this. Went on the vanilla farm tour, also very enjoyable if you like gardening or are a foodie!

• Stayed March 2010
Ferndale, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

For what it was, this hotel was too expensive. The location is not great. It really isn't by anything and it's a 5 minute walk to the bus stop which comes every half hour, then a 5 minute bus ride to the beach. There is no restaurant in the hotel (the only hotel we stayed in that did not provide a complimentary breakfast) and while the room was clean, we did find a dead cockroach in the bathroom. There is a little pool I think but the hotel is surrounded by trees so no sun can shine through. The owner was very friendly and we had a nice little porch where we could see lots of cute monkeys but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

I see the negative reviews mentioning the road noise (which stopped between midnight and 7 AM) and the rooms being small. For a budget hotel, those things were not important to my friend and me, as long as we had two beds, which the Babaloo had for its basic rooms. Our top priorities were cleanliness, saftey, and good location, which we felt the Babaloo Inn offered. Also, the owner, Faye, was very knowledgeable about the area and CR in general. There were many great restaurants nearby as well.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

Very nice little place, clean rooms with a balconey. The upper rooms above the office have a great view. Other rooms have a view of the forest which is good too.
Friendly people, nice clean pool, small and deep. $48 a night this time of season.
The Mar Luna across the road entices you with aromas of food cooking but it was misleading as the food was not good. Fantastic view from this restaurant though.
The problem with the hotel as with many places near the road was the noise from the trucks and buses climbing the hill. This was constant and took away from what was a good place to stay. I think there are hotels in the area without this problem and with better access to the beach so I will prbably not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
pompano beach, fla
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

Stayed for the 4th time @ the Babaloo with Dave & Faye. But why do I and my friends keep coming back to this hotel? Because the staff makes it a safe & friendly experience - i feel very at home & relaxed - no worries once I get there. Everything from setting up tours & transportation to washing my laundry - just ask. The back yard is the rain forest where you can sip coffee in the morning and watch the wildlife on a rocking chair - monkeys, sloths, and other creatures. The front side has a magnificent ocean view from the suites. This is a small quaint family run hotel near the top of the hill between the small town of Quepos and Manuel Anotonio Beach - a 5 minute $4. cab ride to either. Yes, the pool is small, but it's perfect to cool off in under the lush landscaping and sit with a beer. Personally, I want to spend my money on tours and activities - not on an Americanized snooty hotel for $300. per night - so the Babaloo is right for me. On the down side - it is close to the road with some road noise.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Babaloo Inn? Share your experiences!