“Absolutely fantastic!” 5 of 5 stars

Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica   |
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Absolutely fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed here for a week and had a really brilliant stay. When we got out of San Jose airport, the taxi Mike (the owner) had arranged was ready and waiting for us. The journey took about 3 hours and we stopped off to see Crocodiles and have some fresh fruit which was great! When we got there Jonathan was there to meet us and within half an hour we had seen our lovely room (The Parrot Room), booked our tours for the week and given an overview of everything in the area. Throughout our stay Jonathan was brilliant always ready to help with anything and very friendly and easy to talk to.

Our room was brilliant, the close proximity to the Park, beach and restaurants was perfect. The pool was great to have an hour in the afternoon to read our books in between tours, going into the park and to the beach. We saw a deer, agoutis, monkeys iguanas and loads of birds all from the grounds of La Posada. Our breakfast every morning was great especially the pancakes! We had dinner one night and pizza one night both very well priced and very delicious.

As much as the accommodation was brilliant it really was the staff that added that extra edge. Jonathan, Mike, Estevan and everyone else there were so helpful, friendly and accommodating during our entire stay that we are already looking at booking to stay there again next year!

Room Tip: The Parrot Room was brilliant
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

655 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Tempe, Arizona, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

La Posada Private Jungle Bungalows was exactly as advertised. We rented The Villa which is a two-story house. It has a bedroom upstairs which is more like a loft (no wall) with its own bathroom. Downstairs has 2 single foutons and another bathroom and kitchen. Wifi is available and there are two TVs and DVD players in the unit. The best part about this hotel is far and away the staff. They are unbelievably friendly and helpful and they all worked their tails off. We ate spaghetti one night ($7each) which is incredibly cheap in Costa Rica. It included a bowl of spaghetti, green salad and brownies with ice cream. It was yummy. The staff was working so hard I almost got up and helped clean the dishes. The rooms are no frills, but clean and reasonably priced. There isn't a beach view, but it's only about a 5 minute walk. They have boogie boards you can borrow as well as a TON of DVDs to watch after dark. You can also call the US for free which was a nice touch. I gave this hotel a 3 star rating because based on the 5 hotels I stayed at in Costa Rica, this one was my least favorite as far as our particular accommodation itself. The location is literally right next to Manuel Antonio Park, and The Villa backs up to the road where all the tour buses drop everyone off early in the morning. It is extremely noisy. There is also quite a bit of street lighting. If you are looking for a peaceful, serene setting, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for more of a budget location with opportunities to mingle with the staff and guests, this might be a good fit. The pool is also very small. Most backyard pools are larger. I didn't really care about that because I didn't go to the beach to hang out at the pool. My kids loved it, but I wouldn't stay here again just because it was so noisy.

Room Tip: The Villa backs up to the main road and is very noisy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

2 night stay, family of 3, stayed in Fishermans Dwarf bungalow. Very pleasant hammock/patio/room/hot shower etc. Nice pool. Excellent breakfasts daily and great evening meal one of the nights. Right outside the entrance to MA. (Don't forget to check in your passport number at the park in order to get in again later on the same daily fee. Fantastic scenery in the park - go on a guided tour to see the most wildlife) Free computer use and NA phone calls, great! Mike and Jonathon are wonderful hosts, highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Located right near the entrance to Manuel Antonio national park and steps from the beach, this small hotel is delightful. The staff (Estevan, Johnathan and the others) are friendly, helpful and very hard working. You want something? Just ask and they will ensure that your desires are fulfilled. The hotel offers meals on select evenings for $7 per person. Not only is the price great, but they put together home made meals that are tasty and filling. If you don't feel like going to a restaurant for lunch, no problem. They will call a restaurant or pizzeria for you and have something delivered. The staff took us into Quepos one evening to visit a Mexican restaurant called Dos Locos. The food was fabulous (along with the many pitchers of Margaritas) and the live entertainment consisted of 70's and 80's music. This was the highlight of our six days in Manuel Antonio. One thing... The hotel has a limited capacity of about 34 people. While we were there, 20 of these individuals were children under the age of 11 which created a noise and nuisance factor that we had not anticipated.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Could only get 3 nights booked here during my 5 night stay. I'm so glad I took the 3 nights. This place is awesome. I inquired about kayaking prior leaving and was told no worries....can be booked once I arrive. No pressure to book. My grandson wanted to zipline and although I had done it in MA 1 time before I was just reluctant to book a trip. A day before my stay at La Posada I walked over to the hotel ( was staying the other 2 nights down at Verde Mar). Esteban was so helping in recommending a zipline company I had never heard of. El Santuario. It was awesome. Great for my 8 year old grandson. Highly recommend this tour. He offered us fruits and could use the boogie board and even go for a swim if we wanted. We hadn't even checked in... how lovely this was. So hospitable.

Once we arrived the next day Jonathan (another sweetheart) welcomed us. The room was not quite ready but he allowed us to leave the luggage in the room and use the safe which is comforting. There was no paper signing or passport showing. Very informal. You felt welcomed right away.

Location is great as previous posts state. Next to the park and many restaraunts. Their breakfasts were awesome. Francine made the best gallo pinto I ever tasted. Had one of their great dinners. Was awesome and pizza one day for lunch was wonderful also.

We had the bungalow for 2 nights which was lovely and the monkey room for the last night. Loved both rooms. There was a pretty bad review prior us leaving on the monkey room. Mike (the owner ) took everything that was said to heart & updated the room. It's simply lovely. We were going ziplining at 10:00 and they made sure the room was ready for us. Bonus - ice machine. How great this was. I saw the 2 story villa... amazing.. and the price is so cheap. I researched many hotels and really these people can get away for charging alot more.

The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The pool is cleaned regularly. Monkeys came by for a visit. Blancitta the little jack russel dog is a sweetie also. She escorted us to the beach one day.

The day I was to leave I was taking a tour to Tortuga Island that include transfer to San Jose. They were to pick me up at 6:00..Esteban came around 7:00 and knew something was wrong. He made a few calls and found out the tour was cancelled. (nice of Calypso Tours to let me know) Now I was stuck without travel arrangements back to San Jose. Esteban made many calls trying to find a shuttle and recommended a taxi which I ended up taking. Allowed me to leave at my leisure and spend more time at this gem of a hotel. I didn't book this tour from La Posada but they were so helpful.

To sum things up... this is the only place I would ever consider staying at when I do return to Manuel Antonio.

Room Tip: Any room is good here.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

The staff was great - very helpful with anything that you need! The pool was fun, and it was just steps to the beach and the park. The breakfast is great - made to order and the fruit was amazing!
The rooms were cute, the beds were a little lumpy and the water pressure is lacking though.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

If you want to see the park/beaches, this is the absolute best location. You can park your car and then not have to worry about moving it for the rest of your stay. It is literally steps from the park entrance, which also houses the best beaches, and an easy stroll to the other public beach. Also, the bungalows are great.

Onto the best thing about this establishment - the staff. Wow, hats off to Mike, Jonathan, Estevan, and the rest of their crew. Our travel arrangements got really messed-up due to the airline. As a result, we had a little bit of trains, planes, and automobiles to get things back on track. The guys that work at this place were so very helpful and polite about making sure that we had everything that we needed. Their advice and tips were great to help make our stay as pleasant as possible, and make sure that our airline troubles didn't affect us a second longer than necessary.

Sincerely recommend starting here for your stay in Manuel Antonio. Thanks again for helping make our stay a memorable one guys!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to La Posada Private Jungle Bungalows? Share your experiences!