After much research and careful consideration, my boyfriend and I picked the Suu because we were looking for a quiet and relaxing holiday. What we found was a hotel deficient in facilities and services. Specifically:
• The Spa was closed – this is a hotel that bills itself as a “Hotel and Spa” as well as a wellness destination.
• The gym was closed
• The elevator didn’t work
• The Wi-Fi didn’t work until the day we left—and even then only for an hour. This became a bit of a joke with the guests. The hotel staff never had information as to when it would be repaired. The hotel staff allowed guests to use the desktop at the reception desk, but this was uncomfortable and the desk staff was inconvenienced unecessarily.
• The bed was very hard – simply awful. I can only compare it to sleeping on a plank topped by metal springs. When we complained, a member of the housekeeping staff brought us a duvet to place on the mattress. I asked her if they got many complaints about the matresses and she said “yes”. Because the duvet offered minimal cushioning, we asked for extra pillows and slept by placing them under our backs which wasn’t very comfortable.
• The continental breakfast included with the room was uninspired and inadequate considering the room rate. It consisted of cereal, yogurt, a few pieces of toast, a few small slices of fruit, juice and coffee. After two mornings we decided we couldn’t face it anymore and ate breakfast at a nearby café for the rest of our stay. At one breakfast we asked for napkins (there were none on the table) and the server brought us pieces of paper towel.
• Our tour company's website describes the hotel as being “minutes” from the national park. This is misleading. The park is a 15 minute car ride away, but a one hour walk from the hotel -- and a very dangerous walk at that. There are very few sidewalks in the area so pedestrians walk on the edge of the narrow winding roads and risk getting hit by cars. If you like to wallk to restaurants and attractions, you should note that the hotel is far from everything. This means daily taxi rides because the hotel doesn't offer shuttle service. Also, the property is very steep -- not a hotel for people who have leg or knee problems. The walking trail leading down to the small nearby beach is steep as well.
On the positive side, the staff was friendly and tried their best. Almost everyone seemed to be new with more than one job. The location is very quiet and absolutely beautiful although there was almost no ambience. Our room was nice, but the all white decor did become fatiguing after the first couple of days. Dinners in the restaurant were a bit expensive, but excellent.
The hotel opened in August of 2010 and other reviewers have speculated that some of the problems may be due to growing pains. There were only a handful of guests when we were there and we saw a number of guests rooms that were not set up. Given the competition in the area, I think that the truth is that the hotel is struggling.
You should also note that the hotel is a bumpy three hour drive from San Jose -- we were misled by our tour company on this.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shana Hotel is the world’s leading brand in exclusive lifestyle boutique hotels. Embracing the culture, beauty, purity and perfection of its natural environment. Shana Hotel in Manuel Antonio, guarantees guests a unique and exclusive travel experience. Complimented by distinguished design, organic local cuisine, ecological adventures and exceptional hotel amenities, this new hotel in Costa Rica is among of the most exclusive and prestigious lifestyle hotels in the world. With that premise in mind, the Shana Hotel provides visitors a fabulous selection of 27 rooms, all with exceptional garden and ocean views. Choose from Superior or Deluxe Rooms, Junior Suites or pamper yourself in the Souss "Spa Lifestyle Suite," a 3 bedroom luxury unit with its own private infinity pool and full kitchen facilities! Book today to start enjoying your dream Costa Rica vacation getaway! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Shana Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shana Hotel Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio National Park