Like another reviewer said, I also loved Makanda by the Sea so much that I feel it is necessary to give them an excellent review. Out of the three hotels we stayed in during our 10-day trip to Costa Rica, Makanda was our favorite hotel by far. The rooms were beautiful and had everything we needed. We stayed in Villa 5 and really appreciated the fully-stocked kitchen, the great selection of television channels, the beautiful view and balcony, and also the yummy bath products that were refilled everyday. Every morning we enjoyed watching a large troupe of monkeys make their way toward our balcony, and of course the amazing breakfasts were also something to look forward to in the mornings. My favorite was the pancakes with banana coconut toppings and also the fresh fruit juice.
As to the grounds, the pool is beautiful and has a great view of the ocean and surrounding areas. I also recommend making the trek (and boy is it a trek going back up to the hotel) to the beach. It is very secluded and beautiful.
The restaurant, Sunspot Grill, at Makanda by the Sea is also not to be missed. We ate dinner there almost every night and couldn't believe how delicious and fresh their fish was. Their desserts are also wonderful. Everyone on the wait staff was so hospitable and nice as well. In fact everyone in general, from the front desk staff to the person who monitors the front gate, was very gracious and nice to us our entire stay.
One thing I would also like to comment on is the safety of the place. There are signs EVERYWHERE reminding people to lock their doors and keep a close eye on their belongings, and the hotel makes it clear that it is the individual's responsibility to keep tabs on his/her things Let's face it people, it's Costa Rica and things have been known to happen, so please take their warnings to heart. From everything we could see, the security here was great, and even at night we saw people keeping an eye on the parking lots and just perusing the grounds in general to make sure everything was safe. We felt completely safe and at ease at Makanda, and we would return to this hotel in a heartbeat! It really was one of the most relaxing and romantic hotels we have visited.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Makanda By the Sea is 12 acres of wildlife sanctuary, 100 meters above the ocean. Our fully equipped Villas and Studios are carefully placed in rainforest gardens with spectacular views of the sixty mile coastline. Hotel Makanda is the ideal location for guests wishing to experience “romance in nature”, dazzling sunset views and our personalized boutique hotel ambiance. Offering gourmet cuisine, first class service, and close to Manuel Antonio Park, Spas, Restaurants, Tours and Beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Makanda by the Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Makanda By The Sea Hotel Manuel Antonio National Park
- Makanda By The Sea Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio National Park