We stayed at Makanda for one week last October (2007) in Villa 1. That villa is fantastic - utterly comfortable, spacious for 2, and an amazing view out to the ocean. The bathroom & shower are great, and the bed is very comfy. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and isolated. The staff is very friendly and very helpful. Overall, it's very tranquil and peaceful - a great way to experience that part of the country. I encourage anybody who stays here to take an early morning walk down the path to the beach - I saw a ton of amazing wildlife (including some animals I've never even heard of) as I crept slowly through the forest before the day really got started. Sloths and monkeys are regular visitors to the grounds.
Slight drawbacks - the restaurant on site (Sunspot) while good, is pricey (even by U.S. standards) and - in my mind - overpriced. I would have eaten there more if it weren't as pricey. There are plenty of very good places to eat in the area outside the hotel. (Mar Y Luna comes to mind.)
Lastly - lock up everything of value in the safe in your room whenever you leave. I had a book of CDs and DVDs disappear during our stay. I was surprised that somebody would bother taking this (maybe I should be flattered that they liked my taste?), but it did happen. The Makanda staff was very responsive in addressing the issue when I brought it to their attention, but it never showed up. (I didn't ask for any compensation in return.) I got the sense the place is very secure, as they have guards on duty 24-7 who walk the grounds, etc. But disappointed that I lost about 25 cds and 10 dvds.
To be fair, the positive aspects of my stay at Makanda far outweighed my lost property, which can be replaced. Just need to lock it all up next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Makanda By the Sea is 12 acres of wildlife sanctuary, 100 meters above the ocean. Our fully equipped Villas and Studios are carefully placed in rainforest gardens with spectacular views of the sixty mile coastline. Hotel Makanda is the ideal location for guests wishing to experience “romance in nature”, dazzling sunset views and our personalized boutique hotel ambiance. Offering gourmet cuisine, first class service, and close to Manuel Antonio Park, Spas, Restaurants, Tours and Beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, Tingo, Despegar.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and Odigeo so you can book your Makanda by the Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Makanda By The Sea Hotel Manuel Antonio National Park
- Makanda By The Sea Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio National Park