We arrived at Makanda around 5:00 pm local time. We were immediately met at the property gate by Jorge who works for the security staff. It was raining (which is does every day in CR) so he had someone take us via golf cart to the office where we met Leo, who was the best host we could have hoped for. Leo escorted us to our room and provided us with imfornation about the restaurant, beach, and the area in general. We had already exchanged e-mails with Leo so we knew about the tours that were available in the area. We told Leo what we wanted to do and he arranged everything including pickup and payment, it was so convenient just to add the tour charges to the room and not have to worry about it.
We stayed in studio 4, the view was amazing. Our front window was a full view of the surrounding jungle and a fantastic view of the pacific ocean. One of my goals for the visit was to see monkeys. Every day we saw white faced monkeys and on the last day they were actually eating the fruit off of the tree right outside of our room! It was awesome. Our bed was also out of this world, the sheets were of the highest thread count I've ever slept on and Gloria from the housekeeping staff made the bed every day and decorated it with fresh flowers.
The first night we ate dinner at the Sunspot, it was very good. I had beef and my husband had the tuna, it was great. I also recommend the Cesar salad, one of the best I've ever had. The breakfast in the room was also terrific, fresh fruit, pancakes, just delicious.
We just got home today and had to hurry and write my review, I'll post pictures later... I haven't even downloaded them yet.
We loved everything and if we ever get the chance to go back without the kids, we'll definately stay at Makanda again.
One word of caution, the beach is very pretty, but it's quite a hike down the steps and back. You want to make sure you're up for the hike before you go. It was a great little trip thru the jungle, but we were gasping for breath when we finally got back to the room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Makanda By the Sea is 12 acres of wildlife sanctuary, 100 meters above the ocean. Our fully equipped Villas and Studios are carefully placed in rainforest gardens with spectacular views of the sixty mile coastline. Hotel Makanda is the ideal location for guests wishing to experience “romance in nature”, dazzling sunset views and our personalized boutique hotel ambiance. Offering gourmet cuisine, first class service, and close to Manuel Antonio Park, Spas, Restaurants, Tours and Beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Agoda, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Despegar.com and Odigeo so you can book your Makanda by the Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Makanda By The Sea Hotel Manuel Antonio National Park
- Makanda By The Sea Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio National Park