I liked this place last year. Then again was with friends and had less contact with the staff. Sure Leo and Darwin at Reception are nice but even they don't follow through.
Was here last year for my birthday and thought I'd come back. Pool and view is amazing. Unfortunately the general staff is unkind and could care less if you're there. At the pool never a hello, a welcome, a good bye, or an offer to give you the menu. At one point I heard the attendant loudly discussing to another staff member "gringo this and gringo that...." If he doesn't like tourists, then maybe he should quit. Met one of the owners, told her I was back for my birthday. She wished me well. Most other hotels would send an amenity. This hotel has become to "cheap" to even think about that.
Cons: Not 1 amenity. Not a piece of fruit. A welcome back note. Bottle of water. Nothing. Dated and desperately needing a renovation. One of the worst beds ever experience. Lumpy and you wake up with sore back. Unkind staff. Housekeeping came in to clean dishes. Walked in. Did only that and left. No, "hello." No "is there anything else?" No "goodbye". As if angry she had to work. Same at the pool. Staff seemed like they didn't want you there. There's a sign by the safe deposit box. Warning about theft and crime. Maybe a lockbox from 2013 would help. They have an old key lock box that anyone else can have a key to. One afternoon a woman was entering my room from housekeeping. Even though the "do not disturb" sign was on the door. When I opened the door she apologized. Is the crime happening from within? Inside job? Once all is stolen all you'll get is an "I'm sorry." Felt less secure after this. Especially since the staff seems to not like the guests. Also, when your taxi drops you off. They don't allow the taxi to take you to the reception. Even though other cars have access. forcing you to walk a distance on loose gravel in a hot humid climate. They don't even give you a welcome drink upon arrival. A card is given so you can go get it yourself. Sadly the rudest bartender is there to rudely give it to you.
Pros: Location. Pool view. Isolated rooms. Spacious rooms. Plenty of closet space.
This once lovely hotel has gone downhill. Like most hotels in Costa Rica, having been over touristed all they want is the cash. While providing awful ungrateful service. I prefer Mexico where at least they try. They don't seem to care here unfortunately. If you like being ignored and made to feel unwelcomed, then this is your hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Makanda By the Sea is 12 acres of wildlife sanctuary, 100 meters above the ocean. Our fully equipped Villas and Studios are carefully placed in rainforest gardens with spectacular views of the sixty mile coastline. Hotel Makanda is the ideal location for guests wishing to experience “romance in nature”, dazzling sunset views and our personalized boutique hotel ambiance. Offering gourmet cuisine, first class service, and close to Manuel Antonio Park, Spas, Restaurants, Tours and Beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Priceline, Tingo, Travelocity, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA and Odigeo so you can book your Makanda by the Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Makanda By The Sea Hotel Manuel Antonio National Park
- Makanda By The Sea Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio National Park