Stayed in Villa 6 and loved it. Truly a sanctuary with comfort inside and out. Gorgeous veranda with a bit of an ocean view, and surrounded by trees, birds, all sorts of wildlife. A/C inside was worth the occasional respite from humidity. Fabulously appointed room, canopy bed, sitting area, luxury bathroom, kitchen. Look at the site's pictures - it's for real.
Staff seemed really friendly and helpful. Delivered breakfast to us early as we wanted to leave for Manuel Antonio by 7:30.
Loved the small pool area, with infinite view overlooking jungle, and Pacific Ocean framed by luscious foliage. Really good restaurant with about 5-6 tables on the far side of pool, served tasty, decent quality food.
The place feels like a semi-private sanctuary, and with only 13 villas/rooms (I think), the property feels quietly enjoyed and appreciated. We did drive into a few other hotels to check them out; some have more units and are inevitably louder and busier. Given the crowds at Manuel Antonio, it was really refreshing to have such a deluxe home away from home.
All of the hotels along here are high up on the cliffs, only one on this ridge gets some beach front access - but that property involves either walking or driving up and down a lot. While Mariposa has killer views from the restaurant (worth a meal there), I think the rooms are nicer at Makanda.
We'd go back. Not with the kids tho - too quiet for teens. Perfect for couples.
Below, where reviewers click to select ratings in categories, I've put value at average - only because at $400, it's about what you'd expect for that price. If it was $200 for this property, I'd give it an "excellent" in that heading.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Makanda By the Sea is 12 acres of wildlife sanctuary, 100 meters above the ocean. Our fully equipped Villas and Studios are carefully placed in rainforest gardens with spectacular views of the sixty mile coastline. Hotel Makanda is the ideal location for guests wishing to experience “romance in nature”, dazzling sunset views and our personalized boutique hotel ambiance. Offering gourmet cuisine, first class service, and close to Manuel Antonio Park, Spas, Restaurants, Tours and Beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Booking.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Agoda, Venere and Otel so you can book your Makanda by the Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Makanda By The Sea Hotel Manuel Antonio National Park
- Makanda By The Sea Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio National Park