My wife and I just got back from our trip to CR and stayed 4 nights at Makanda. We stayed in Studio #3 which was smaller than the villas, but still a nice sized room with an amazing view. Makanda is a great balance of both tropical rainforest and air conditioning. There are a few luxury hotels in the area and I wouldn't classify Makanda as luxurious but an eco-boutique. We went to eat at some of the other nice hotels to get a feel for a possible return trip and found places like Gaia and Arenas Del Mar to be much nicer but for different reasons. A couple of dislikes about Makanda would include the pool and restaurant area. It comes off as a few canopy tents put together with faded purple and green curtains from circa 1996. Even on the hotel website the hotel comes off that way, but thought maybe it was just the lack of updating their website. Several things about the hotel could use an update. While still keeping that Costa Rican charm, this is a strong reason that I booked this hotel over the more modernized luxury hotels. We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast every morning from the comfort of our own room. Another plus is that you rarely run in to other guests giving you the feeling of the upmost privacy. Overall, the staff was great and extremely helpful. If you're looking for 5 star luxury stay somewhere else, but if you're looking for a balance of tropical rainforest with private villas and A/C, stay at Makanda.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Makanda By the Sea is 12 acres of wildlife sanctuary, 100 meters above the ocean. Our fully equipped Villas and Studios are carefully placed in rainforest gardens with spectacular views of the sixty mile coastline. Hotel Makanda is the ideal location for guests wishing to experience “romance in nature”, dazzling sunset views and our personalized boutique hotel ambiance. Offering gourmet cuisine, first class service, and close to Manuel Antonio Park, Spas, Restaurants, Tours and Beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Priceline, Low Cost Holidays and Jetsetter so you can book your Makanda by the Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Makanda By The Sea Hotel Manuel Antonio National Park
- Makanda By The Sea Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio National Park