My boyfriend and I just returned from a week at Makanda, and miss it already. This Hotel is one of the nicest places we have ever been. You feel as though you are in a private jungle retreat. The staff was amazing, and go above and beyond to make you feel comfortable. The rooms are all secluded from one another and all have a gorgeous view of the jungle and ocean. Be prepared to do some walking. It is on a hillside so you are constantly walking up and down steps and inclines. This did not bother us at all, but I can see how it might bother others!
The only negative was the beach. We are beach people and when we walked the steep path down to the beach, and I mean STEEP, it was a little disapointing! Don't get me wrong...BEAUTIFUL, but not somewhere we would want to spend the day. We were well aware of this before choosing this hotel. We chose to take the daily 10am shuttle to the Manuel Antonio beach that is provided by the hotel. I only put this in my review, so that if you are looking for a beachfront resort look elsewhere. The infinity pool is a good replacement. We ended up there each evening to watch the amazing sunsets and the monkies playing in the tree tops. It was a nice way to end a nice long day at the beach or relax after an excursion.
We saw two different species of monkies as well as iguanas, a really scary prehistoric grasshopper, and a huge toad right on our doorstep. No matter what time of the day we were leaving the room, I always made my boyfriend go first...it became sort of a joke. You never knew what little animal may be waiting to say hello.
We can't say enough about the views and the grounds...just breathtaking! Just look at the photos I attatched.
The hotel delivers breakfast to your room every morning, on your schedule..very nice touch!We tried everything offered and everything was delicious. The banana-coconut pancakes/french toast were unbelievable!
Costa Rica in itself is a beautiful country, with warm smiling people. We tried many of the nearby restaurants, which all offered the freshest fish. We decided that the best mahi- mahi & red snapper were prepared at Bamboo Jam...which also provided us with some entertainment, it was salsa night! We don't salsa, but it looks fun and is fun to watch people who can! The best ceviche we had was at Raphael's Terraca. But, every restaraunt we went to was very good and resonably priced.
If your looking for a quiet getaway, and want to feel you are alone in paradise...this is the place!
We will definately be returning, no doubt about it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Makanda By the Sea is 12 acres of wildlife sanctuary, 100 meters above the ocean. Our fully equipped Villas and Studios are carefully placed in rainforest gardens with spectacular views of the sixty mile coastline. Hotel Makanda is the ideal location for guests wishing to experience “romance in nature”, dazzling sunset views and our personalized boutique hotel ambiance. Offering gourmet cuisine, first class service, and close to Manuel Antonio Park, Spas, Restaurants, Tours and Beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere and Otel so you can book your Makanda by the Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Makanda By The Sea Hotel Manuel Antonio National Park
- Makanda By The Sea Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio National Park