“Great hotel” 4 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Save Saved
You added Hotel California to your Saves list
Hotel California
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 mts east from Blue Monkey Hotel, Manuel Antonio National Park 139, Costa Rica   |
Edmonton, Canada
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

The rooms were lovely and well equipped and set among amazing lush forest where we were able to observe monkeys and birds.It was quiet at night so sleep was not disturbed and the staff were helpful and friendly. The service by the pool was also great. We were there June 13 and 14, 2014,

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Campesina, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
So glad that you enjoyed your stay! We always hope that you take home a little "Pura Vida" that stays in your heart forever! Many thanks for your kind words and warm wishes from all of us here at Hotel California!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Santa Barbara, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

My stay at the Hotel California was quite a pleasant experience. The Hotel was old school with modern conveniences. The hotel might of been bit outdated but the service was great. Make sure to get your breakfast at the pool and enjoy the great service and hospitality you'll get from Viviana. One of the best assets of the hotel is its service and the view. If your driving. The street to the hotel is awkward to locate. It's a bit bumpy and you'll experience a free "Costa Rican Massage". I felt comfortable taking my two adult teenage daughter there. This is the place to stay with friends and party Costa Rican Style.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Campesina, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Thanks for your kind words. I am really glad you enjoyed your stay and I agree that Viviana and Gilberto are both great hosts and hostesses in the restaurant. I believe it is the people who make a hotel a place you want to visit and I am really happy that you had a great experience with the people here! Warmest wishes!
Waupun, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at Hotel California. It is super important to get a room with an ocean view. Majority do not. Our neatest surprise during our stay was getting to have breakfast with the white-faced monkeys. It only happened one of the 3 mornings here. We watched them swing tree to tree looking for and eating mangoes right next to our breakfast table! The food was pretty good, and happy hour specials were nice. The beds were awful and you can forget about water pressure to shower, but we tried to overlook these set backs to enjoy our vacation. Something you might not know when booking a room here is that a cab ride to the main beach by the Manuel Antonio Entrance is $10 but you can take a 5 minute walk down the road to the local bus stop and catch a ride (every 15 minutes) for less than $2 a couple. This worked well during the day but was not advised at night as the walk from the bus stop to the hotel is not well lit or traveled. Also, there are no restaurants nearby to walk to. Must take a cab or the bus.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Campesina, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
I am really sorry you had a problem with the water pressure. I will look into the possibility of beefing up the delivery system. I am glad you had some great visitors for breakfast, the wildlife here is amazing, that is why I live here beside the hotel! The road is not ideal, but we are 200 meters away from the road noise which is a great buffer for those who want to get away from things. I appreciate your comments and wish you all the best on all your travels.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Stayed here w a tour group and found excellent clean rooms. Great hotel service too. Very attentive. Pretty dang close to town and the beach but I could lounge here all day. The best part is the pool, views and bar! Ask for Gilberto - sir can mix a cocktail!

Stayed June 2014
Campesina, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Thanks so much for your thoughtful comments. I agree that Gilberto is a great bartender! Glad you had a great time and I wish you the best on all your travels.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

I stayed here during a round trip of Costa Rica. The rooms were lovely and clean, good air con and comfy beds. I also had the best cocktails (seriously,the best) ,made by Gilberto, the gorgeous bar man. The pool is hot and the service is excellent. I would reccomend staying here as it is in the middle of both towns, easliy accessable by the bus. Pura Vida.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Campesina, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
I am really glad you enjoyed your stay here! I am so happy to pass on the great comments to all the employees here, they love to hear good feedback about their work. I wish you the best in all your travels, have a wonderful day!
Whitby, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

I stayed here as part of a group tour, but upon arriving I booked an extra 2 nights here because it was so nice! The hotel is very clean, and in a quiet location so it is very relaxing. The people who work here are so friendly and helpful! I ate in the restaurant every day and the food was so good and very reasonably priced. I also had a lot of drinks made for me by Gilberto, who is a great person to talk to! He answered all my questions about Costa Rica and gave me some advice on things to do and see. He genuinely loves his job and loves meeting and talking with people about their travels. I would definitely recommend this hotel and I will definitely be coming back in the future!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Campesina, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
I am really glad you had such a great experience, and will be happy to pass on the nice review to the employees. They like to know that their hard work is appreciated. Gilberto is a very special guy and a fabulous bartender, I feel very lucky to have him here. We look forward to seeing you again and hope it is sooner rather than later! Warmest wishes!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

I stayed at Hotel California as part of a tour I was on. While the hotel is located up a steep hill, I liked the quieter location and getting into town is still very easy by bus. The best part of about this hotel is the view. The restaurant/bar is located right next to the pool and offers amazing sunset views over the ocean. Rooms are clean and quiet.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel California? Share your experiences!