“Very accommodating and nice” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel California

You added Hotel California to your Saves list
Hotel California
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 mts east from Blue Monkey Hotel, Manuel Antonio National Park 139, Costa Rica   |
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Very accommodating and nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I am currently staying at hotel california. I have terrible allergies to cats and dust etc. and they were very nice and helpful. They made sure to put me and my friend in a very clean room far from the cats that hang around the lobby and were very nice to me about it. I have travelled to many countries where they did not understand how severe my allergies were or were rude to me. The food at the restaurant is delicious, the room is very clean and the pool area is a great place to take a nap or read.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Campesina, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
I am so glad that the staff could help with the cat allergies. Also glad to hear the pool was relaxing enough for a nice nap! Many thanks for your kind comments, hope we will see you again soon!

Warm wishes,

Robbie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Leeds, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

The staff was so helpful and always did all they could to help us.

Before we even arrived, I had emailed them about finding us some spa treatments. Eric was very professional and provided me several options and then made the arrangements for me.

Next, we got there 3 hours before check in, they gave us towels and let us enjoy the pool and restaurant area.

The next morning, our tour left before their breakfast started. They were so kind and had a complete breakfast ready for us to enjoy. With made to order omelets, eggs, rice, beans, fruit, juices, breads and coffee.

Some in our group went fishing for the day, they told us to bring back what we caught and they would cook it for us. We did catch some fish and they made us wonderful dinner, they prepared the fish and it was so good! A wonderful salad, vegetables, french fries and of course rice and beans. The presentation was beautiful and the food was delicious.

When we left we had to check out early to go an another day tour, they kept our luggage for us safely in their offices while we gone for the day.

We had a great stay, and they made our time there very enjoyable.

We had 8 couples, with four rooms. The rooms were very clean. One of the couples rooms air conditioning didn't work very well, and another room was smokey smelling. Everything else was great and I can not say enough about the helpful staff.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone including families with children.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room, it is beautiful!!!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Campesina, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you so much for the nice comments, The staff are really happy when they know that they are making you happy, we translate all comments and place them where all employees see them. I am sure you have just made their day! I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and hope we will see you here again.

Warmest wishes,

Macon, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

This was our 10th year staying at hotel California. It is a great hotel with a very friendly staff. The hotel is in the jungle with a view of the ocean. They have great food at the hotel restaurant. They have a nice swimming pool. In the years that we have stayed, we have seen numerous wildlife. If you need a taxi the front desk will call one and usually within 10 min. the taxi is there. The rooms are clean and comfortable. We plan on returning to Costa Rica in February 2015 and will be staying at the hotel California.

Room Tip: If you want a great view of the ocean get a room on the third floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
AlonsoCalifornia, Manager at Hotel California, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Heyyy Friends !!!

Glad to hear that you thought it was excellent and that you enjoyed the view from the rooms, food from the restaurant, swimming pool, and on behalf of the 24 employees of hotel California, we would like to thank you. We are working hard to make your vacation the best we can and are very happy you enjoyed the time with us.
Sometimes things happen during your stay, and having someone that you know will assist makes all the difference.

Looking forward to see you in the near future.
Valdez, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I stayed here in late February 2014 as part of a tour group on vacation. The group spent 2 nights here. I enjoyed my stay here and recommend this place. Comfortable accommodation, beautiful ocean views, nice pool and a nice breakfast featuring all you care to eat made to order omelletes for only 7 dollars. Would definitely return here in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Hi jmccoy2008,
So glad to hear you enjoyed your stay in one of our units at Hotel California,
We appreciate your kind words about our facilities including our restaurant prices.
Looking forward to your return, please just give us a call, email or chat online.
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

So, I do not know about anyone else, but for my friends and I hotels are for shelter to get some sleep; this was impossible here. We stayed two nights and on our first night we realized we had a bat in our room, that literally ran into us several times when the lights were off or partially off. We stayed up all night with the lights fully on. After trying to get a hold of front desk for an hour, the security guard came up to our room and tried to help catch it, but was unsuccessful. The next day after convincing several staff members, plus the owner that we had a bat issue did she send a staff member late afternoon to deal with the problem; once again unsuccessful. Our only solution we were given was "when it comes out, catch it" So, night #2 we left all the lights on and were in and out of sleep with every noise we heard; not a relaxing place to stay. I understand you are in a rugged area, and should expect insects and some wildlife etc.. but trying to sleep with a bat running into you is impossible. The location of this hotel is not in your ideal location; if you would like to be close to either Quepos, central Manuel Antonio/ National Park or a beach, everything is a 10-15 min drive away. Also walking is not an option; streets in this area are steep, rocky, narrow and dangerous to walk because of cars swiping around the bends in the road. False advertising on someones part. Yes you may have a beautiful view of the ocean, but good luck trying to reach out and touch it from this location. You can take the bus to either location only after you walk down a very steep dirt and rocky hill; try it in 37 degree humid weather; not fun. This hotel is not only in a bad location if your looking to enjoy the towns, but it is also run down. Thank you Hotel California for doing nothing

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Campesina, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
I am really sorry about the bat. I was waiting for you in the bar as we had discussed, and I was waiting for an outcome, but you never came down and then you went out to eat. I did not know until the following day that the bat was still in your room.

I apologize for the experience you had. If you contact us through our regular email we would like to make a refund.

Best wishes,
Robbie Felix
Owner
Waukesha, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

First of all the location is completely inaccurate. The hotel manager blamed hotels.com for the mistake. Although the location is also incorrect in Google maps, they still blame it on whoever they can.

Second, the pictures of the hotel are not what you see. The hotel is in a shady street and the room we were given smelled like pesticides. There are only three parking spots and if you are not lucky to get one then who knows where you will park for the night, ouch!

The staff was nice though, but it is not worth the price. We ended cancelling our reservation and they kept one night since according to them hotels.com was at fault. Overall this hotel is really only worth about 80 bucks a night. I have been to hostels that are way better and are only 25 dollars per night.

Room Tip: Rooms smell like pesticides, need a key for a safe, quality of mattresses are pretty bad.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Campesina, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Actually most of our guests find us through GPS, it used to be inaccurate in google maps and the GPS software , but we have not heard anyone having problems recently.

I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience and hope that the rest of your trip was better.

Warm wishes,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

Very positive experience in Hotel California. I almost died of delight when I saw the view from my lovely big bedroom..a canopy of tropical trees with the Pacific beyond. And the room itself was so prettily laid out. Then Guilberto at the bar talked over possibilities for my first day..he was so warm, chatty and welcoming that I made sure to be back for his mojito at Happy Hour..for those who are guests, the walk down/up to the main road is more than do-able as long as no big mobility or other issues..and it's a lot of fun to hop on the local bus down to Manuel Antonio ..these little buses run speedily along the hills over to MA every 15 mins. The second day I enjoyed the delights of the National Park, and said goodbye that evening to Gilberto at the bar. The young lady at breakfast was also delightful..warm and gentle and acommodating. Upon leaving today around noon, I couldn't but notice the fun vibe in the hotel restaurant over lunch..got me to wondering if they were residents or "outsiders" and if the latter, I thought what a fun, low key place to come for lunch..quiet and charming, and with that splendid view! I was also impressed that the owner had a note in the hotel manuel in your room, about her charitable foundation, where she collects a dollar from the bill (optional, and also option to give more) to support a group of local children with disabilities. Seems like a great idea.. a little from everyone, going so far.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
AlonsoCalifornia, Manager at Hotel California, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Hi Eileen O.

Wow....thanks for the great remarks, We really appreciate your comments
Our lovely view from the room is very special, the hotel is surrounded by nature, overlooking the Pacific. The perfect retreat for your stay in Manuel Antonio and thanks for the kind words about Gilberto, he is famous for been so kind and making cocktails.
We loved having you as our guests, when you are ready to return, please let us know.
alonso@hotel-california.com

Been to Hotel California? Share your experiences!