“Such a Wonderful Surprise!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel California

You added Hotel California to your Saves list
Hotel California
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 mts east from Blue Monkey Hotel, Manuel Antonio National Park 139, Costa Rica   |
New York City, New York
“Such a Wonderful Surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I'll admit that my expectations were not that high after we booked here fairly last-minute. But it ended up being FANTASTIC! Our room was a bit rustic, but big and charming with a comfortable bed and air-conditioning. Our private balcony had spectacular views and allowed us to enjoy wine and sunsets. The pool is nothing fancy, but it's great to have it there for a midday dip in between taking part in the area's surrounding activities. The bar offers a cheap happy hour, though I would avoid the restaurant for meals other than breakfast. The friendly folks at reception helped us book a mangrove kayak tour and a sunset catamaran cruise. They even ran out with their telescope to help us spot a rare toucan in the trees above the property. So unexpected and lovely of them!

One con was wi-fi. We were supposed to be able to access from our room, but you really can only access from the reception area.

Room Tip: Room 39 has privacy and amazing views!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We travelled with G Adventures and stayed here for 2 nights in Dec 2012. Spacious room with A/C and partial ocean view. This was one of the better hotels we stayed at. WiFi only at the reception area though. Breakfast area is by the pool and you can see the ocean from here. $2 for breakfast if you only want fruit, coffee, juice. $8 for full breakfast. It's about 6 km from the beach.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Evergreen, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for 4 nights in December 2012. The first thing that impressed us, after a seamless and smooth check in...the view. Upon stepping onto the balcony, we saw an amazing view of the Pacific Ocean. There were also Mango trees, iguanas and Monkeys right out our balcony.

The staff was helpful, and spoke English very well, which made it easier on us, since our Spanish is not so great.

Breakfast was included, and the pool and bar areas were welcoming. This hotel has about 30 rooms, so it as cozy and personal.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: I would suggest a 3rd floor room for the best view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My man and I stayed here after 7 awesome but long days of traveling around CR and this was by far the best hotel we stayed in.

It's location was key as it was halfway between the town of Quepos and Manuel Antonio national park.

The room was beautiful and spacious and there was a sweet mini fridge right in the room to assure our cervesas would be ready to be taken down poolside. Also a coffee maker - key. The staff were very friendly and the view from our room was breathtaking. We had a sweet little balcony too where the sun hit just right in order to dry off our laundry.

And man that pool was legendary.

Also, on your walk down to the street you're guaranteed to spot some cute spider monkeys or sloths. Happy travels!

Room Tip: Stayed in room 35. AMAZING view!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights with my sister and my nephew. Let's start with the Pros:

-Breakfast was OK

-Staff is friendly

-Pool cocktails are kinda lame

Now with the cons:

-Their inventory is poor. Breakfast was included but they did not have avocado so they could not offer various breakfast dishes. This happened on the 2nd day as well, day in which they had also run out of Splenda.

-You have to ask for towels for the room, we had to ask 5 times to get them, which was kinda irritating.

-The room smelled heavily of some bug spray and smelled like that for a while. I appreciate the fact that they are getting rid of bugs, but they should do something to dissipate smell.

-Location-wise, it's OK...not on main road and you have to drive to get to the beach, I would not walk it.

Since I did not do the reservation, I am not sure what's around that would be a better option, but I definitely would research again if I decided to stay in MA in the future before booking here.

Room Tip: Although expensive, I'd recommend having dinner in Gaia nearby, great food.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
C.R.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

i guess the tittle syas everything , and i feel like i was in my house , very good staff so very nice, beutyfull property.close from quepos y manuel antonio!, peaceful pool, great view from the restaurant , big room.

Room Tip: second floor for the view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

This is a great hotel. Check in was easy as we were part of a group.

My room (20) was gorgeous. Big four poster bed, lots of space and very clean.

The pool was lovely and refreshing and the pool towels were handy.

Breakfast was amazing! I loved the chocolate pancakes.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Hotel California? Share your experiences!