“Loved my stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Colina

Save Saved
You added Hotel La Colina to your Saves list
Hotel La Colina
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Km 3 Manuel Antonio Road, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
25% off in any room rate
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Loved my stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Hotel La Colina was the perfect place for me to stay for the one night I was in the area. It isn't a resort and doesn't pretend to be but it is clean, has a lot of ambiance, a friendly staff, and serves a great breakfast. I loved it and would stay there again in a heartbeat.

I stayed in a "Jungle Room" which didn't have an ocean view but was able to walk up on the balcony and enjoy the sunset with some other wonderful guests. We all ended up having drinks and dinner together at the hotel restaurant and bar. Although the breakfast there was great, I wasn't impressed with the dinner items we had. But it was a great place to socialize with each since we were about the only people there.

It is a bit of a walk/workout from the hotel into the beach and commercial area but I walked there and back with no problem and enjoyed getting to see the area close up. If you don't want to "hike" it, there is a bus-stop nearby. On the flip side, because it is outside of the main drag, it is more quiet and private.

If you are the kind of traveller who wants at least the minimal comforts of home while still feeling you are experiencing the local lifestyle, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: I knew I wouldn't be in the room during the daylight hours to enjoy the ocean view so didn't...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Hotel La Colina is a very special place because my fiance proposed to me on Hotel La Colina's ocean view balcony! This bed and breakfast is a charming and romantic getaway that is well-managed. I was impressed by the personal touch and impeccable customer service by the hotel's staff and owners (Mike and his wife.)

Pros:
-Impeccable customer service. The staff greeted us by our names, remembered which room we were staying at, and checked in with us to confirm which tours we had booked.
-Clean, air-conditioned rooms with high-speed wifi and TV
-Ocean view rooms and balconies
-Breakfast included with multiple selections (Scrambled eggs, Gallo Pinto, Pancakes, French Toast, Fruits, cereal, orange juice)
-Restaurant and Bar by the pool
-Two-tiered swimming pool with a swim-up bar
-Sunset view from the restaurant
-Walking distance to public transporation (bus)
-The bed & breakfast is family-run
-There is a cute cat named "Stevie" that sleeps by the reception area

Concern:
-Hotel Colina is located in between Quepos and Manuel Antonio. Most hotels in Manuel Antonio are located on a hill which requires you to get there by taxi, bus, or public transportation. If you don't take public transportation, prepare to walk on a spiral, hilly street with no sidewalks.
-There were a lot of stairs on the property

I highly recommend staying at Hotel LaColina if you are looking for a romantic get-away, or a fun stay with friends.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

My husband and I were traveling on our honeymoon and stumbled across this place which turned out to be one of our happiest accidents of the trip. It was very reasonably priced and gave us a little of the resort feel without the sterile overly-touristy environment or the high price of an actual resort. The two level pool, the little swim up bar, and the attached restaurant were all major benefits in our eyes, considering that we looked at other similarly priced places that offered few if any of these features. While there were a few improvements I would recommend to the staff (brighter lighting in the room, a clock in the room, the availability of beach towels for rental) I feel like this place was still quite a find. But if you're a very light sleeper bring earplugs, as the sound of cars backfiring up the steep hills woke us up a time or two! I think youd deal with this anywhere along this street. Even though it was slow there, the owner, Mike, was very attentive to seeing if we wanted a beer or needed any advice any time we passed by or went to hang out by the pool. Oh and he opened the restaurant up just for us one night and cooked us a special vegetarian honeymoon dinner which was fantastic! As a breakfast lover I think another perk of this place is that you have your choice of four different breakfast options included with the price of your stay! I would definitely go here again.

Room Tip: Room 11 seems to have the best view and the highest ceilings!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

This place is amazing! I have stayed here twice now, and i will keep going back. I usually go in the slow season (September) without a reservation and walk right in to the front desk and they have availability. The rooms are quite spacious for four people. Completely fill like you are in a private tropical oasis. Toucans flying overhead, large iguanas on the terraces, and the occasional squirrel monkey visit. The food is great. Mike makes so many great dishes. The drinks are reasonably priced. The breakfast is perfect. They have a hotel cat Stevie and the dog Tito that will welcome your affection on your arrival. Pool is amazing. Forget the comfort of name brands, this is the place to go. Also a quick walk (30 minutes) to Manuel Antonio National Park, or drive down the hill and you'll be there in no time. Pay for the parking!!!! 3000 Costa Rican Colones ($6.00 USD)

I miss this place already!

Room Tip: Ask for an Ocean View Room. This place is not on the Ocean but along the hillside. Feels like the tr...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I believe that these hotel reviews are greatly dependent on the current state of mind of the writer. I guess I must have been in an excellent state of mind because I loved my 3 day experience at La Colina. Ocean view room and balcony were great, sunsets and early mornings grand, ac worked fine for sleeping, breakfast was simple but good, hosts and staff friendly and accomodating, long hike up many stairs was good exercise, pool was cool and inviting. Not a 5 star hotel, don't expect those kind of amenities, and your stay should be fine.

Room Tip: Ocean view seemed to please fellow guests
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed in many hotel, bed and breakfast and hostels but Hotel LaColina offerred so much more than a bed. The staff was exceptionally nice provided the upmost hospitality. We felt like we were staying with family. Everyone was eager to accomadate us and ensure a most pleasent experience. The restaurant and bar was our favorite, we were happy to stay in rather than go out. Thank you La Colina I will be back and recommend you highly!

• Stayed June 2012
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

We stayed 3 days at La Colina last week and had a great time. The owner, Mike, was super friendly and helpful and we had some good times at the bar in the evenings. The pool is also connected to the bar and the entire outside area is great.

One of the rooms we booked was the Tree House - a bigger twin room up high, which had its own balcony outside, great for chilling with friends. There are also more expensive apartments available with ocean views.

The beds were nothing special but that didn't stop us getting a good night's sleep in this idyllic surrounding, up the hills and hidden in the trees. I would definitely recommend it and stay here again! Gay friendly too.

Room Tip: Try the Tree House and take advantage of the balcony outside and the cool seclusion up in the trees
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel La Colina? Share your experiences!