“Villa #15 was the best place ever..” 5 of 5 stars

You added Villas El Parque to your Saves list
Villas El Parque
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica   |
Seattle, Washington
“Villa #15 was the best place ever..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

The view alone was more than tranquil. The view from the upper was by far the greatest thing I have seen in a long time. The shower... nothing like taking a shower and looking at the ocean..Waking up to the holler monkeys in the distance and looking out the bed to the rainforest and the ocean is peaceful.. Everything about both villas was amazing... Everything we needed was in the villa!!! Dave the manager was more than helpful and the cleaning lady was so wonderful. Great place for your money..We have already planned a trip back to Costa Rica and back to Villas El Parque #15..

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Fenton, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

My wife and I visit Manuel Antonio nearly every year. On our last visit standing down on the beach by the park we noticed some villas in the distance that looked like they would have a commanding view. Investigating further we found out they were the "Villas El Parque" complex. We did our usual and checked out TripAdvisor and were surpised that they were not rated very weill. We looked at them and decided to give it a try anyway. We found absolutely nothing wrong with the place. We were there the third week of August and it was amazingly rain free. The villa was clean, nicely decorated, well equipped and quite roomy. As we figured with awesome views. We enjoyed the pool and my wife even pampered herself to a massage at Spa Uno. The open air restaurant was very enjoyable and we did not have to wait forever for our meal. I highly recomment "Viilas El Parque" for your next visit. Its a great value for your money. I really could not think of a better place to relax on the balconey, sipping on a chilled glass of Crown Royal while enjoying a fine cigar looking out at the waves splashing against the islands that surround the Manuel Antonio coastline.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

We travelled to CR in March and had a wonderful time. While this was my girlfriend's first trip to Costa Rica, it was my fifth time in the country and I could not have been happier. Earlier complaints I have read about this hotel seem to be rediculous. We stayed at this hotel for 9 days and thoroughly enjoyed every second of it. The area around Quepos and Manuel Antonio have so many things to offer and to do. We stayed in unit 18 up and were able to cook in our condo. This cut down our cost of food dramatically. The cleaning services were very frequent and well done. The view was spectacular looking over a bay and you could see Manuel Antonio National Park in the distance.

I would like to address some of the problems that were stated in the most recent review, "Terrible place to stay with a beautiful view, will not stay here again!" In regards to the pool and laundry room, there is no key for either. The pool has no gate, and the laundry is done by the staff for a minimal fee. Clearly this person just wanted to complain for the sole reason of giving a bad review.
In regards to the staff not helping out with anything, that is absurd. They were all helpful and prompt with anything that needed to be done.
As far as rooms not having the best appliances and the phone and locks not working, get over it. Nearly every room has a private owner, and those complaints need to be passed on to them. The hotel does not pay for those types of repairs and need confirmation by the condo owner to proceed with those repairs. If you want to speak with an owner or a condo association official, you should speak with the manager on duty, they can help you with that.
As far as the stairs go, you have to expect that there will be a lot of stairs to climb. The hotel is on a mountainside. That means there will be a lot of stairs to climb, it makes sence, right? I found it great exercise for myself as I have been needing to climb stairs more often as of late (I have put on a lot of weight and needed to burn some of it off).
As far as I am concerned, you were travelling with a bunch of kids and you just wanted to complain from the get go because of the fact that your bags were lost by Continental. Get over yourselves.

Now that I am done with my rant, let me get back to the great qualities of this hotel.

Everything was nearby. Even better, you could take the bus anywhere you wanted to, pretty much. The bus costs 280 Colones per person (about 44 cents depending on the exchange rate). The bus goes from the beach in Manuel Antonio to downtown Quepos. Food establishments are all over the place. However, if you are interested in trying the local foods, go to a place called a soda. It is the equivelent to a canteen. They will serve up great food for next to nothing. For a full meal at a soda, you will be spending around $4, a great value for what you get. Angel's is the nearest soda to the hotel, about a Km towards quepos (next to the Super Josethes). There are a few grocery stores called Super Joseth where you can buy all sorts of things. However, I would suggest the farmers market on Fridays and Saturdays. It can be found on the levee in quepos. At the bus station in Quepos is an indoor market as well. You can buy the best fresh fish you have ever eaten there.
Manuel Antonio National Park is a must see! If you do not go to it when you are in this area, you have wasted your entire trip. There are also guided sea kayak tours as well. The company called Monkey Tours will take you through mangroves on a private tour where you will see tons of wildlife and be given a great wealth of information by the tour guide for a great price ($40 per person for a 2 hour kayaking trip with a lunch at a soda included. This also includes transportation both ways.)
Right accross the street a little bit towards Manuel Antonio is a butterfly garden. Another must see. You can also do a night tour through there where you will see all sorts of animals and again be given a wealth of information about the wildlife in that area for I think about $15 per person.
All of the activities in the area are very reasonably priced, the nice restaurants are not though. A meal at La Barba Roja can cost as much as $40. Even though it was some of the best fish I have ever had, it seemed a bit steep. However! Eating at la Barba Roja has its advantages, especially at sunset. The hotel is not in a position to properly see the sunset, but La Barba Roja has probably the best view in the area. If you plan on seeing a fabulous sunset, save your money and eat here, it is worth it!

Finally, for all of the things you get for your stay at Villas el Parque, you are getting a great rate for them. With such a spectacular view all day and with great service, I would have to say that Villas el Parque may be the best value in the area.

I hope that I have helped you out with your decision to stay at Villas el Parque.
Pura Vida!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

Villas El Parque - Unit 15 (Upper and lower level)

We had a very good time in Costa Rica, it is more beautiful that what we expected, however we found many very inconvenient issues with this property and want to warn everyone thinking to stay there...

We arrive at the Villa around 6:30 PM, it was dark already, David (the manager) was there waiting for us, the stairs coming down from the upper villa were completely dark, David said the light bulb in that location had been off for quite some time, it was so dark we had to practically guess where the steps where, my husband fell down on the last step, damaged his ankle and knee and limped for the entire duration of our trip. After he fell down, we asked him if he had a flashlight, he quickly produced one from the kitchen but had no batteries and didn’t offer to get them so we still had no solution to the light problem. This light didn’t get fixed until 3 days later when we met a neighbor and she graciously sent a guy to change the light bulb at her own expense and only for our convinence.

Before our trip began, the manager asked me if there was anything we need to have before our arrival, the only two things we requested were water and ice, he replied saying, those were very easy requests, unfortunately when we arrived he told us he completely forgot and the two “easy” things we requested were not there. Very disappointed.

They offer two parking options, unfortunately David doesn’t have a key to the iron gate from the back, he couldn’t explain why, he just didn’t have it and couldn’t get one, so we had to climb the stairs daily even though there was a much easier access in the back of the condos, the stairs are very steep and slippery when raining.

He proceed to show us both Villas, we were not very happy when we were informed that the upper Villa’s outside door (the door from the balcony to the stairs) lock didn’t work, his exact words were “this lock doesn’t work, I don’t know why but you should be OK for tonight, I will have it fixed tomorrow” of course, the lock didn’t get fixed the entire duration of our trip and to make things worse the cleaning crew kept on locking the door every time they came over, the first and second time we got locked out my husband climb from the stairs to the roof thru the balcony to open the door and the third and four time, we asked a guy that was working on the neighbors villa to open it using a screw driver.

While the "Manager" was showing us the Villas he also mentioned that the phone in the lower villa had a bad noise on the line and was practically unusable but the one upstairs worked, well, he lied, because the phone on the upper villa even though it is plugged in and shows fully charged is completely dead, therefore we had no phone on both villas.

After a long ride, it was bed time, I was very upset when I start getting the beds on the lower unit ready for our kids and found sand on both of them, the sheets were clearly not washed and I had no way of calling them to ask him for extra sheets to change the beds so my daughters could sleep on clean beds, it was very upsetting.

The next morning we found out that your Villa was only providing with 4 towels for 5 people, also the conditions of the towels your villa provides are terrible, two of the 4 towels had holes on them, also no wash rags or floor mats were provided, we were also promised beach towells but we didn't get any, we were so embarrrased of the conditions of these towels we bought new ones to take to the beach with us.

Also, if someone is taking a shower in the lower villa, the upper villa gets no hot water, this was not a big deal to us because we could coordinate the showers with our daughters and take turns but if you have two different families renting the Villas, this could be quite inconvenient.

In general we had a very good trip with the exception of the Villa, staying in this place was the only thing we were very disappointed about, the night we arrived, we were actually considering going and staying elsewhere and ask for a refund but 3 of our bags didn’t make it on our flight and the only contact number in Costa Rica we had was the manager's cellular phone, so we couldn’t take the chance of not having our bags for a whole week, the only good thing the manager did for us was to call Continental and give them the Villa’s address so our bags could been delivered the following day. If our bags would had made it on our flight, we would have never stayed in this place and we would have asked for our money back as we had prepaid our stay.

The location and view of this Villa are exceptional however, it is the only thing this place offers, they offer luxuries like pool and Jacuzzi, we didn’t even get the key to those services, we had to find the laundry room and practically beg the hotel staff to let us use it because since this Villa is not part of their pool because you rent it directly from the owner and they have no rights to the laundry room, we didn’t get clean beds, enough towels, beach towels or even tour and trip information because the Manager was in such a hurry he left after 10 minutes and never saw him again.

We feel this Villa is not worth the money, you can find much better accommodations for the same or even less, we felt ripped off, they knew over a month before we were coming and nothing was fixed, ready or even clean.

We travel often and this is the worst place we have ever stayed, we will definetly go back to Costa Rica, but will never stay here again or never recomended it to anyone else..

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Durham, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

We were looking for a relatively inexpensive hotel near Manual Antonio with views and decent amenities, which Villas El Parque definitely had. However, there were a few downsides to the stay. All in all, it was a mixed bag and I probably won't stay there again if I return to Manuel Antonio.

Pros - Large, private balcony high on a hill with beautiful views of the water (but not situated to view the sunset)
-Staff were very helpful in showing us the room prior to our decision to stay. Really, they went above and beyond with their time and effort.
- The bedspread was the most comfortable I had in my trip to CR
-The shower was large and was open to the outside through screens
- We were visited by cute geckos
- Security guard watched the car at night (the parking area is right on the main road to Manual Antonio)
-The price was decent and staff was willing to negotiate

Cons
- Hotel information in the room stated that breakfast was complimentary and provided by the pool, but that was not the case. There was no breakfast.
- Wi-fi was only accessible near the main office, which was only open from 7 am until sometime in the evening.
- Staff gave some incorrect information about local amenities (i.e. said that the cafe almost right across the street had moved (we ate there a few minutes later))
- We asked staff to wash our clothes in the morning of the day before we checked out and they said we could pick it up that evening. (We were out of clothes since we'd been in CR for about a week at that point). When we came by to pick it up that evening, they had not started it, and looked surprised that we needed it the following morning. There were also ants in the clothes, which we discovered when we took them upstairs. Not a big deal, but they were left somewhere where ants can get to them, and it made handling them a bit more difficult.
-The handle of the door to the closet (where the safe was located) was not functional. We finally figured out how to open it using the key.
-The fridge was rusted.
-The room was rather small.
- The patio outside the room was very close to and visible from a 2nd floor restaurant, so there was no privacy (at least during business hours), although there were cloth curtains that covered part of the view. We didn't have a problem with noise though, since one of the days we stayed was an evening the restaurant was closed.
- I read here that evidently there was a path to the beach, but no one said anything about it.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
VillasElParque, Manager at Villas El Parque, responded to this review, March 30, 2010
Hello! Thank you for staying with Villas el Parque. We have just recently taken over management of the hotel, and are very grateful for all of your constructive criticism. We plan on taking each of these issues into account, addressing them, and greatly improving the hotel structure, rooms, and service. We hope you come back to visit and give us a second chance with the new management--we are sure you won´t be dissappointed. Pura Vida--VEP New Management
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

We found unit 15 at Villas el Parque to be very comfortable, clean with spacious rooms. The hill and ocean view is beautiful from the large balcony. There is a hammock, a large dining room table and lots of cushioned seating on the deck. The kitchen is supplied with utensils for cooking. The bedroom has two queensized? comfortable beds. I think that children would be comfortable sleeping on the cushioned deck seating so that this unit could hold up to six people. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
new york
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2010

Not really a hotel but a group of condominiums perched on the side of a mountain. Many are privately owned. If something goes wrong with your condo the owner is responsible for fixing it. Tough to do when they are located in the states. . The hotel provides maid service to all units. Upper level condos have a great view but everything about the place is run down and seedy. The hotel condos have beds too small for their frames, sheets that give you burns from their roughness and towels you can see through. The pool is 60 steps down from the condos with a view. Tiles are missing and the remaining tiles need a good cleaning. The place is not secure as anyone can walk up the stairs from the road and enter the condos. Supposedly there is internet service but we could not pick up the signal from anywhere on the property.
Avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Hello! Thank you for staying with Villas el Parque. We apologize for all of the issues you encountered during your stay. We have just now taken over management of the hotel, and are very grateful for all of your constructive criticism. We plan on taking each of these issues into account, fixing them and greatly improving the overall hotel structure, individual rooms, and customer service. We hope you come back to visit and give us a second chance with the new management--we are sure you won´t be dissappointed. Pura Vida--VEP New Management

Been to Villas El Parque? Share your experiences!