“Great family vacation at Villas El Parque” 5 of 5 stars

You added Villas El Parque to your Saves list
Villas El Parque
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica   |
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great family vacation at Villas El Parque”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We rented the entire Villa #15 and had a great time! The space was so functional - the kitchen was a great gathering space, and those huge patios with such amazing views made for a great breakfast/coffee and cocktail hour spot! The people were incredibly friendly, the restaurants in the area were fantastic. And it felt so private. We will definitely go back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed in Villas el parque for 5 nights. Generally, very good. We had great ocean view, a nice and large open living room. The bed room and bath rooms are good and clean.

However, the noise from neighbouring hotel Byblos is truly the most horrible experience we had in CR.

the 1st night disco music was till after mid night till i called hotel mgr who called the police to stop them. Then the braindead music just went on every night (only not on Wed). This music level can wake up everyone on this hillside. If you cannot sleep, should call the hotel mgr or the police.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Roger R, Manager at Villas El Parque, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
The reviewer is correct. The noise from Byblos Casino was, at times, awful. Fortunately, several Hotels near Byblos complained to the Ministry of Health about noise pollution. The Ministry of Health told Byblos to close down the disco and the space is now converted to gambling tables and a bar. I just returned from 10 days at Villas el Parque and did not hear a peep from Byblos.
Come check us out!
Milwaukee, WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed here in late May for the first few nights of my 2 1/2 weeks in Costa Rica. Someone else had made the arrangements and other members of the groups were in different rooms around the complex. My experience was the least pleasant. I actually liked the room--on a lower level near the pool. It had a fabulous view from the balcony. The complex spilled down a hillside and was full of steep steps and dark corners. Rather charming, actually. But. The door from the balcony to the outside stairs locked, which was a good thing as the door to the room from the balcony had a completely inadequate lock--in the morning, I found the door open several inches! As I was on a lower level, just above the walkway, this made me a bit nervous. Aside from that, the room was nice and the balcony was delightful. I thought the kitchenette on the balcony was a great idea. After arriving, the young man from the office carried the bags down many steps to the room. No one mentioned that the railings outside the room had just been painted and I got dark red paint on my clothes and on the sole of my shoe which I tracked into the room and back out again. I met up with my friends for dinner and when I got back to my room I was exhausted. I pulled back the covers on the bed to discover that the sheets were dirty. Lots of long dark hairs in the bed and on the pillows. Ick. But, by this time (not yet 10pm) the office was closed and there was no one to talk to about it. The next morning, I stopped in the office to discuss it with another nice young man. When I returned at 5pm--no change. Luckily the office was still open. They told me that they had only recently started renting my room and they only had one key. Hmmm. . . Did no one think this might be a problem? But, he called the maid and she came back to the hotel to clean my room. I felt bad for her, but I was pleased to have clean sheets. After that, I left my key at the desk during the day so they could let in the cleaners. But, it really put me off this hotel. I didn't expect luxury here, but I did expect clean sheets.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Long Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights, it was our worst experience in Costa Rica. On our second night we went out to a bar to listen to live music. We came back around 11ish and the balcony was obviously disturbed. There is a locked door from the balcony to the stairs but you can easily jump around the door. The table with some of our stuff had been moved around and the screen on the window of the door had been broken and ripped off. Luckily when we arrived we checked the locks on the windows because one of them was left unlocked and it had been the exact window the screen had been ripped off, like it was a set-up. They tried to pull the doors open by force but we had secured all the locks before we left. The people above us were not as lucky. They came home later and all of their things had been stolen. We told the security guard who said he chased some people who had a machete(!) but they jumped into a taxi and got away. The cops eventually came but did nothing. The hotel staff was not sympathetic and did nothing for us. Part of our group was staying in a different building closer to the office and had no problems but we were given a room at the very end of the property.

Other than almost getting robbed...the hotel was just okay. It was pretty far from the beach. We walked down one day but would not recommend it. The pool was small and didn't look very clean. There were quite a few bugs and lizards coming in and out of the room. It was close to a lot of cafes and bars which was nice. The view from the room was pretty and you could see/hear wildlife from the hotel. So, if you're going to stay here ask for a room close to the office, use the safe in the room, and check your locks!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This was seriousely the best Hotel of my whole 2 weeks backpackingtrip of Miami and Costa Rica. I had room 11 and I had this fantastic view above the trees and the Ocean. You can even have animals arround if u are lucky because it is such a nature place. The room was clean, the hammock allows you to have a great relaxing time even if it is raining, u just hang arround and fall in love with this beautyful spot. Henry is the reception/host who is friendly and helpfull... even after I lost my key ones and broke the other one... still sorry for that. He is positive thinking and arrange tours for you. The price is absolutly correct for this Hotel and you have a good kitchen in the rooms. I would allways come back. The nicest beaches are in the Manuel Antonio National Park area and this is pretty close.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

According to trip advisor, this place gets great reviews... So when we arrived we were quite shocked at what we found. First off, we are have travelled by rental car all over Costa Rica and found this place extremely hard to locate as there is very little signage and it is in a weird location that doesn't look like a hotel. We asked 2-3 ppl who all gave us different directions, it seemed nobody knew where it truely was! Once we finally located it, we were immediately concerned because there didn't appear to be any safe parking.. As it turns out there is 2 parking slips off the main road but still seemed unsafe to us. We checked in and were taken to our room. In first appearance it seemed ok, so we went back to get our bags. The hotel is a series of villas situated along a steep hill just off the main road of Manuel Antonio. The road to our "villa" was steep and so uneven we could not even drive our car near our door, so instead we had to drag our bags down this road which was a bit difficult. As it turns out, on second viewing our room was awful, old, and unclean. The bedspread looked disgusting and I immediately removed it and would not sleep under it..., the bed sheets weren't much better and the sheet covering the mattress did not even fit properly and kept coming off. The bathroom seemed ok, not really any complaints for that part. The balcony part of the room had a table, chairs, and kitchennette.... Which was swarming with ants. Not just 1 or 2 ants, but hundreds... Very gross! As with the parking, we found the security of the room to also be of concern, it could easily be broken into as it is in an open area along a road and the door into our room had a lock but you could easily swing the doors back and forth a bit despite being locked. The door onto the balcony (which precedes the bedroom door) also had a lock, which jammed on us a few times and was difficult to open. Despite the room conditions, we are hearty travelers and aren't usually bothered by a little wear and tear.. So we went to check out the pool area which was across the street from our room. There were cigarette butts and trash lying around and an empty cup in the bottom of the pool. The pool did not look clean and I wouldn't dip my toes in even. After this, we approached the reception for a refund, this place really is just disgusting, not sure how they get so many good reviews.... I have stayed in many hostels that are of higher quality and cleanliness for $20! The receptipn guy seemed kind of apathetic about our complaints but did contact his manager to arrange a refund. The website for this "hotel" is full of false advertising, it shows clean modern rooms which were a stark difference from what we got. It was shocking how different the website gallery is compared to what we got. We didn't even stay the night. As with another travelers comments, we ended up leaving and stayed 1 night each at the Falls and Mango Moon, both of which are great value, clean, and have friendly approachable staff. We would never recommend this to anyone or ever stay here!

• Stayed July 2012
Roger R, Manager at Villas El Parque, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
It is difficult to let this kind of review go un-answered. I understand that the reviewer did not like the room (although it was recently remodeled). Management immediately refunded their money. So what is the source of this mean-spirited review?
The reviewer spent the first 20% of the letter complaining about not being able to find the Hotel. We’ve been in the same location for 20 years and we have two signs on the main road, both of which are lighted. There are a number of parking spaces available on the grounds. The one the reviewer chose was off the main road, just outside the office, and is lighted. Furthermore, we have a security guard. The road the reviewer complained about is a public road (not maintained by Villas el Parque) and is completely passable by passenger cars. There are approximately 20 properties down the hill that use this road exclusively.
Our staff cleans and maintains the pool daily. The cigarette butts and cup were most likely from a careless guest who used the pool prior to the reviewer’s 5 PM arrival.
The room that the reviewer disliked so much was recently remodeled and is advertised on our web site as having a partial ocean view. We have other rooms with panoramic ocean views. The reviewer did not rent a room with a panoramic view. The reviewer was not offered another room because there were no other rooms available at that time.
Management strives to make our web site as transparent and truthful as possible. The Hotel Staff work very hard to make each guest comfortable and to provide an enjoyable experience. We have many good reviews because we offer good rooms in a comfortable atmosphere at a great price.
I strongly suspect that viscous and damaging reviews like the one dated August 5, 2012 would be less frequent if the reviewer had to provide his real name and address, and not hide behind the anonymity of the internet. Really, you didn’t bother to stay the night, your money was refunded in full, and still you felt the need to write a review designed only to damage the hotel. I don’t get it.

Roger Ross
President, Board of Directors
Villas el Parque
Pflugerville, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

On my second trip to this area I wanted to stay where I could have a wonderful view of the Pacific. This condo complex definitely fits the bill with amazing views that vary with the location of the condo. Choose your condo carefully, as they are individually owned and in various states of repair and renovation. I stayed in a lovely condo for 2 nights until the condo I was to rent became vacant. (the previous tenants wanted a few more days in paradise!) The view was a little obscured by telephone & electric lines, but was fully renovated with a modern kitchen & bath and was in generally great physical condition. Not so much in the condo I had agreed to stay in. The tenants must have been just horrible, having left the tub full of sand. The poor housekeeper worked for almost two hours cleaning the disaster area to a livable state. The bed was advertised as a queen, but was in fact a "matrimonial", near the size of a double bed. The unit had the porch area enclosed as opposed to many of the units with open air porches with hammocks. The roof leaked in several places. 3 of the 4 pendant lights in the kitchen did not work, the dishes were filthy & everything I used had to be washed first. There was a futon on the porch, but it was best suited for a child as it was short even for me at 5'4"!
The staff were very helpful, Henry always there with the answer or solution.
The one caveat is the stairs. With one or two exceptions each condo has quite a few steps to navigate, 42 for mine! I loved that the awesome restaurant, Aqua Azul, is on site, but it did get a little noisy at times.
The price was reasonable, and we had the pool to ourselves. Conveniently located by the pool is the on-site cafe, serving breakfast ($4!) and lunch ($5!). Quite a bargain, good and well as filling?
Convenient to the banks, a grocery store and the bus.
I would definitely recommend staying here, but just make sure you have a good understanding of the accommodations.

Room Tip: The rooms varied from excellent to not so great. Ask about construction as well. We stayed in gree...