“Best Hotel of my whole trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Villas El Parque

You added Hotel Villas El Parque to your Saves list
Hotel Villas El Parque
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   KM 4, Carretera a Manuel Antonio Beach | Antonio frente a latitud 9, Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica   |
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
“Best Hotel of my whole trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This was seriousely the best Hotel of my whole 2 weeks backpackingtrip of Miami and Costa Rica. I had room 11 and I had this fantastic view above the trees and the Ocean. You can even have animals arround if u are lucky because it is such a nature place. The room was clean, the hammock allows you to have a great relaxing time even if it is raining, u just hang arround and fall in love with this beautyful spot. Henry is the reception/host who is friendly and helpfull... even after I lost my key ones and broke the other one... still sorry for that. He is positive thinking and arrange tours for you. The price is absolutly correct for this Hotel and you have a good kitchen in the rooms. I would allways come back. The nicest beaches are in the Manuel Antonio National Park area and this is pretty close.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

According to trip advisor, this place gets great reviews... So when we arrived we were quite shocked at what we found. First off, we are have travelled by rental car all over Costa Rica and found this place extremely hard to locate as there is very little signage and it is in a weird location that doesn't look like a hotel. We asked 2-3 ppl who all gave us different directions, it seemed nobody knew where it truely was! Once we finally located it, we were immediately concerned because there didn't appear to be any safe parking.. As it turns out there is 2 parking slips off the main road but still seemed unsafe to us. We checked in and were taken to our room. In first appearance it seemed ok, so we went back to get our bags. The hotel is a series of villas situated along a steep hill just off the main road of Manuel Antonio. The road to our "villa" was steep and so uneven we could not even drive our car near our door, so instead we had to drag our bags down this road which was a bit difficult. As it turns out, on second viewing our room was awful, old, and unclean. The bedspread looked disgusting and I immediately removed it and would not sleep under it..., the bed sheets weren't much better and the sheet covering the mattress did not even fit properly and kept coming off. The bathroom seemed ok, not really any complaints for that part. The balcony part of the room had a table, chairs, and kitchennette.... Which was swarming with ants. Not just 1 or 2 ants, but hundreds... Very gross! As with the parking, we found the security of the room to also be of concern, it could easily be broken into as it is in an open area along a road and the door into our room had a lock but you could easily swing the doors back and forth a bit despite being locked. The door onto the balcony (which precedes the bedroom door) also had a lock, which jammed on us a few times and was difficult to open. Despite the room conditions, we are hearty travelers and aren't usually bothered by a little wear and tear.. So we went to check out the pool area which was across the street from our room. There were cigarette butts and trash lying around and an empty cup in the bottom of the pool. The pool did not look clean and I wouldn't dip my toes in even. After this, we approached the reception for a refund, this place really is just disgusting, not sure how they get so many good reviews.... I have stayed in many hostels that are of higher quality and cleanliness for $20! The receptipn guy seemed kind of apathetic about our complaints but did contact his manager to arrange a refund. The website for this "hotel" is full of false advertising, it shows clean modern rooms which were a stark difference from what we got. It was shocking how different the website gallery is compared to what we got. We didn't even stay the night. As with another travelers comments, we ended up leaving and stayed 1 night each at the Falls and Mango Moon, both of which are great value, clean, and have friendly approachable staff. We would never recommend this to anyone or ever stay here!

• Stayed July 2012
Roger R, Manager at Hotel Villas El Parque, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
It is difficult to let this kind of review go un-answered. I understand that the reviewer did not like the room (although it was recently remodeled). Management immediately refunded their money. So what is the source of this mean-spirited review?
The reviewer spent the first 20% of the letter complaining about not being able to find the Hotel. We’ve been in the same location for 20 years and we have two signs on the main road, both of which are lighted. There are a number of parking spaces available on the grounds. The one the reviewer chose was off the main road, just outside the office, and is lighted. Furthermore, we have a security guard. The road the reviewer complained about is a public road (not maintained by Villas el Parque) and is completely passable by passenger cars. There are approximately 20 properties down the hill that use this road exclusively.
Our staff cleans and maintains the pool daily. The cigarette butts and cup were most likely from a careless guest who used the pool prior to the reviewer’s 5 PM arrival.
The room that the reviewer disliked so much was recently remodeled and is advertised on our web site as having a partial ocean view. We have other rooms with panoramic ocean views. The reviewer did not rent a room with a panoramic view. The reviewer was not offered another room because there were no other rooms available at that time.
Management strives to make our web site as transparent and truthful as possible. The Hotel Staff work very hard to make each guest comfortable and to provide an enjoyable experience. We have many good reviews because we offer good rooms in a comfortable atmosphere at a great price.
I strongly suspect that viscous and damaging reviews like the one dated August 5, 2012 would be less frequent if the reviewer had to provide his real name and address, and not hide behind the anonymity of the internet. Really, you didn’t bother to stay the night, your money was refunded in full, and still you felt the need to write a review designed only to damage the hotel. I don’t get it.

Roger Ross
President, Board of Directors
Villas el Parque
Pflugerville, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

On my second trip to this area I wanted to stay where I could have a wonderful view of the Pacific. This condo complex definitely fits the bill with amazing views that vary with the location of the condo. Choose your condo carefully, as they are individually owned and in various states of repair and renovation. I stayed in a lovely condo for 2 nights until the condo I was to rent became vacant. (the previous tenants wanted a few more days in paradise!) The view was a little obscured by telephone & electric lines, but was fully renovated with a modern kitchen & bath and was in generally great physical condition. Not so much in the condo I had agreed to stay in. The tenants must have been just horrible, having left the tub full of sand. The poor housekeeper worked for almost two hours cleaning the disaster area to a livable state. The bed was advertised as a queen, but was in fact a "matrimonial", near the size of a double bed. The unit had the porch area enclosed as opposed to many of the units with open air porches with hammocks. The roof leaked in several places. 3 of the 4 pendant lights in the kitchen did not work, the dishes were filthy & everything I used had to be washed first. There was a futon on the porch, but it was best suited for a child as it was short even for me at 5'4"!
The staff were very helpful, Henry always there with the answer or solution.
The one caveat is the stairs. With one or two exceptions each condo has quite a few steps to navigate, 42 for mine! I loved that the awesome restaurant, Aqua Azul, is on site, but it did get a little noisy at times.
The price was reasonable, and we had the pool to ourselves. Conveniently located by the pool is the on-site cafe, serving breakfast ($4!) and lunch ($5!). Quite a bargain, good and well as filling?
Convenient to the banks, a grocery store and the bus.
I would definitely recommend staying here, but just make sure you have a good understanding of the accommodations.

Room Tip: The rooms varied from excellent to not so great. Ask about construction as well. We stayed in gree...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Royal Oak, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I love this place and have been to #15 Many many times in the last 3 years. Can I start off with most of the things in the villa have been updated! The view is amazing and the hammocks are straight from Brazil... So comfortable. I love looking at the ocean and all the monkeys! The villa is perfect walking distance to a grocery store, many wonderful eats, the beach and even a casino. The peacefulness that u feel when walking in here is amazing. The pool and cool tub.... Wonderful and always clean. The villa provides beach towels and has a maid that comes daily. All the sloths, birds and monkeys just to name a few are seen daily off the porch! This is everything you need..

Room Tip: choose #15... its the best!! AC farther away from the street!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Prague, Czech Republic
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Based on the photo, we thought we were to stay in a reasonably nice place. BUT.....the hotel is located between two loud busy streets with traffic and people passing at all hours. The room smelled like it had been closed for months with that damp, suffocating scent. We could not stay even one night.....moving to Villas Nicholas just down the street. We were so happy with our decision. There is a restaurant casino just above the El Parque adding to the level of noise. In general,it was difficult to find anyone to help us.....the reception was never there.

Room Tip: Stay at Villas Nicholas
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Watertown, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Spent an amazing 6 days at this villa. The views are breathtaking, The place is clean, spacious, and has all the toys you would want. A/C, blender, music, BLENDER LOL, Clean linens and towels daily, An awesome balcony over looking the ocean with the most comfortable hammock I've ever been in. OK, so maybe all hammocks are the same, but in this one, with a cigar and scotch after a day on the beach, a FANTASTIC meal at Ronnie's Place, there is nothing better.
I mentioned Ronnie's Place, great restaraunt, up an old dirt road with the MOST AMAZING SUNSETS known to man... Just ask how to get there... Can't wait to return and have already booked for next March....

PURE VIDA!!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Victoria, British Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I rented a condo from private owners and should note that the units here are all owned individually. I stayed in a fabulous villa with an amazing ocean view and gorgeous high ceilings. It was the perfect, most awesome place imaginable.

I had a great kitchen, and the outdoor balcony also had a breakfast table and a hammock where I spent a lot of time chilling.

The poolside cafe is also great and the staff are super nice. Breakfast and lunch are very affordable.

Truly, you can't beat the location. It's right along the main road... only a short walk to Besanz (sp?) beach, which is a great swimming hole and a place where lots of locals bring their families. It's also walking distance to some great restaurants and the grocery store. The bus comes along nearby and will get you to the park and the main beach in five minutes.

I had NO bugs in my room and I was here for nearly three weeks. It was spotless and in great condition. The owners of this particular unit have obviously put a lot of work into making it a great place to visit.

I really loved my stay. It was perfect.

Room Tip: Know that each unit is owned separately.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business