I hate to do this because I'd rather keep it a secret but Tulemar is the place to stay in Manuel Antonio. From the moment I walked into the room my jaw fell. A gorgeous modern bungalow / villa with almost 360 degree wraparound picture windows (sparing the bathroom) and a huge wraparound terrace(not every room has the terrace). Sleek modern look inside with granite countertop open kitchen (even an icemaker in the room). Situated in their own private huge jungle property with ocean front. I even saw a monkey in a coconut tree down by their beach. And of course tons of coatis, raccoons and iguanas. The beach is quite nice though nothing compared to the one in the national park but for an early morning/late afternoon or on Mondays (when the park is closed) it gives you a beach option. What more could you ask? Well, OK, just one thing I would have liked would have been a good restaurant. The setting for the restaurant was gorgeous but the food was ranging from subpar to not passable (even the breakfast). No worries - there's plenty of good restaurants a short walk from the entrance and many more a short drive away.
As for other places in the area - Si Como No looked great - very family resort style with bar in the pool and all that if that's your thing - it's still pretty jungly but more manipulated in my opinion. The rooms looked more like regular hotel rooms. The breakfast was far better and I ate there twice (even though I had breakfast included at Tulemar - yes the breakfast at Tulemar was really that bad). Makanda by the sea I went to look at in the late morning and hoped to have breakfast there - no dice, the security guard has real attitude - does not let anyone in without a reservation and noone for breakfast. Mariposa has a great restaurant for haute cuisine dining.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tulemar is the premier resort development in Manuel Antonio. Gated and secure, the 33 acre jungle resort is perched on the hillside overlooking the Pacific, but continues down all the way to our own beach. It includes the Tulemar Bungalows, Buena Vista Villas and privately owned villas such as Villa Mot Mot, Casa Panorama, Casa de Frutas, Casa Las Nubes and Villa Kiskadee. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Tulemar Bungalows And Villas
- Tulemar Bungalows & Villas Hotel Manuel Antonio National Park
- Tulemar Hotel
- Tulemar Bungalows & Villas Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio National Park