If you have children, want a killer view of the ocean, or feel like you're sleeping in a deluxe treehouse, this is your place. It is a splurge but in the off-season can be a good value. One thing that isn't well-known about Manuel Antonio is the fact that most of the hotels don't have beach access, in fact, many are really not close at all to the beach. Tulemar is special in that it has its own private cove beach complete with sand toys, kayaks and chairs. We live in Costa Rica and I will tell you always ask if the beach is swimmable for children and many, many times you will get an honest no. Tulemar is fantastic in that it is safe for kids. The multiple pools on the property were beautiful and loved just as much as the beach.
The bungalows are really beautiful. The view is out of a magazine-- even jaded travelers will be awe-struck. The bungalows are placed high in the trees, the effect is really lovely. We are a family of 5 and it can be very difficult to find accommodations that will work comfortably or at all. Tulemar nails it. The 'living room' had a massive day bed that was: comfortable, big enough, nice-looking and fought over by all three of our children. The kitchenette is helpful for breakfast duties and happy hour. All in all I give Tulemar highest marks for a family locale that is beautiful enough to wow any honeymooners. Gratefully, the property is big enough and well-designed enough that the two won't have to cross paths unless they want to!
Big cheers on service as well. We were able to store our bags all day in a special apartment and actually host another family for the day and I can tell you that hospitality means we will be back. That doesn't happen often because we live in Costa Rica and there is just so much to see. However, our kids unanimously decided that we had to go back.
My only room for improvement comes by way of the food. It was 'meh' and with the price tag it became not just 'meh' but a big disappointment! I think they are working out the kinks and hear they have a new chef but please, bigger portions. . .please. It could be so great!
In short, still talking about Tulemar around here! It is really as good as all the 5 stars say.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tulemar is the premier resort development in Manuel Antonio. Gated and secure, the 33 acre jungle resort is perched on the hillside overlooking the Pacific, but continues down all the way to our own beach. It includes the Tulemar Bungalows, Buena Vista Villas and privately owned villas such as Villa Mot Mot, Casa Panorama, Casa de Frutas, Casa Las Nubes and Villa Kiskadee. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Tulemar Bungalows & Villas Hotel Manuel Antonio National Park
- Tulemar Bungalows And Villas
- Tulemar Hotel
- Tulemar Bungalows & Villas Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio National Park