“Great Place, Greater Staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tulemar Bungalows & Villas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manuel Antonio National Park
Tulemar Bungalows & Villas
Save Saved
You added Tulemar Bungalows & Villas to your Saves list
Tulemar Gardens, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Bungalows-1 Night Free!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Place, Greater Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

My friends and I stayed here in late August as part of a trip through central america and we had the greatest times of our lives! The Villa was enormous and marvelous. It looked like it came right out of television show. There was a beautiful balcony and hot tub, tons of great looking rooms, and an out of the world view. The beach and pool were impeccable, and they have complimentary boogie boards and kayaks for you to use during your stay.

As great as the location and house was, the trip would not have been the same without the outstanding service we got from our concierge Andres. He was available 24/7 and would stop at nothing to make sure our trip was great. We really did not have any itinerary coming in and his recommendations for activities and places absolutely made our weekend. He arranged for transportation for us during the whole weekend, and even got groceries delivered to us! I've stayed at a ton of hotels and resorts during my life and I have never met a concierge as good as Andres and I doubt I ever will.

I could not recommend Tulemar more. Thanks to Andres, it was the best experience we had during our month long trip through central america.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Hi Eddie L.....thanks for posting the great review on your stay in one of our Buena Vista 3 Bedroom Villas......yes....they are "right out of a TV show"....great design and decor with 3 bedrooms/3.5 baths/indoor-outdoor showers/living, dining, complete kitchen/and great balcony with a jacuzzi tub.......and amazing ocean views......perfect for a larger group like yours.....and thanks for the kind words about Andres....your personal concierge.....he really can make your trip easy.....our guests love him......thanks for booking with us directly and we hope to see you back again soon!

1,181 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Monticello, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We showed up at night, in the pouring rain, needing a room. Desk staff was great, offered one of the bungalows at a much reduced rate. This place would be out of our price range had it not been low season. I feel lucky to have had the chance to stay there. The view from the room was the best of our trip. We ate dinner in the restaurant which was good but expensive. The chef came to our table to let us know of some specials he was planning for the next day that sounded great but we had already exceeded our budget. Unfortunately we didn't return. The private beach was very nice, loved the beach service. It's down a steep hill, almost impossible to walk up. We called for a ride and van was there within minutes. I have no complaints about the property itself, however I didn't like that fact that I couldn't walk in the mornings. Just too hilly for me.
I think the Manuel Antonio area is very beautiful but probably the most expensive places to stay. A great one time experience for us - I think.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Hi flyonthewall......I'm happy things worked out and you were able to take advantage of our lower rates and specials in Sept/Oct.......the Bungalows do have AMAZING ocean views......surrounded by jungle like a tree house so you'll probably get to see wildlife from your room as well.......thanks for your comments on our beach......free lounge chairs, umbrellas, kayaks, boogie boards, towel service and with food/beverage service available.......and for those looking for a flat place to walk in the morning.....besides our beach.....and the public beach.....there are several scenic roads that our concierges can map out for you......thanks for taking the time to post the review and we hope you enjoyed your trip to Costa Rica!

Bethpage, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

There are not enough amazing things I can say about Tulemar!!

My boyfriend and I went in June (which is considered part of the rainy season) Though it did rain, they were quick, fleeting showers, or only occurred at night when they didn't much interrupt our plans.

The property is stunningly beautiful and the staff are incredibly helpful and always available. Because the property is so big they have constant shuttle runs making transportation around the property much easier, or you can just call the front office and request they come pick you up straight from your room to drop you anywhere on the property you need to go.

We stayed in a Junior Suite & it was absolutely perfect with a beautiful view of the ocean from our balcony, and always impeccably clean. There was no ice-machine in our room, but when we called down to the front desk for ice a staff member would actually come deliver us a huge bag, so, crisis averted. Also there was a small pool just down the walkway from our room - and literally was always empty! It was like we had our own private pool for the whole week we were there- AMAZING!

From our room we decided to always take the nature trail down to the beach which was gorgeous. There were always some little critters on the trail for us to take pictures of, & half way down there is a really nice waterfall to stop at. Beware though, this trail can be a little slippery if it has recently rained- we always wore our sneakers down and brought our flip flops with us for the beach.

The beach was never crowded even though the property was at full capacity- it was relaxing, & quiet. There were free kayaks to take out whenever you please, a nice lunch station down at the beach, and a staff member ready to take your drink order. Also- lots of monkeys down at the beach!! Was awesome to see.

All the restaurants are within walking distance, and were all amazing (top favorites: Barba Roja, El Avion-- there is a woman that sells awesome jewelry outside the restaurant some nights, Agua Azul -- for an AMAZING sunset view, Cafe Milagro for delicious breakfast...just to name a few) We also were in walking distance from Super Joseths (I think that was the name of it) a super market with pretty much anything you could possibly need- I recommend as many bags of the Plantain chips as you can carry back!!!

One thing to take note of - if you are flying in from San Jose, it takes about 2 1/2- 3 hours to get to Tulemar by car. (You can opt to take a small plane, but I was too scared to do that) The staff at Tulemar are happy to set up the transfer for you, and its a minimal cost for comfort. Along the ride you'll stop at the Crocodile Bridge-- big fat crocs to take some pics with to start off your vacation!

An overall incredible stay, we will 100% be going back!!!

Oh, & definitely go Zip Lining, AMAZING experience!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi MagPei......thanks for the great review on your stay in one of our Deluxe Rooms......we loved having you with us......the Deluxe Rooms are a nice option for a couple.....our smallest room......most have a king bed (some with 2 queens)......nice balcony/deck.....and either an ocean or jungle view......there are only six of them.....so they do book quickly......thanks for your comments about our beach.....the nature trails......and all the nearby restaurants......more than 10 within two blocks of our front gates....plus a grocery store.....and two ATMS......thanks for booking with us directly and we'd love to have you back again!

California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stayed here in June of 2013 with my newly minted husband and a couple of friends. It was a really excellent stay highlighted primarily by the amazing staff.

It started with the online concierge who took care of us and answered all of my questions before we even got there! She helped us schedule a cooking class and pick the perfect room. The front desk concierge was great and checked us in promptly and showed us around the property.

Our room (the 3 bedroom buena vista villa) was nice enough, very open and airy, but a little musty smelling and drab. Don't get me wrong, it was a great and comfortable place to stay, for the price, I would have expected a little more. The bed itself was super comfortable. The shower/bathroom area was large, but again a bit dark and drab.

The location is great, with amazing restaurants right in walking distance of the villas at the top of the hill and a nice private beach at the bottom of the hill. The staff are always willing to help out with recommendations for food, or a drive to the beach.

My favorite part of the entire stay, by far, was the cooking class I took with Chris and Jose. They are amazing! Great at explaining what they are doing, great at teaching and super funny. The food we made (fresh, raw tuna dishes, empanadas, costa rican chicken and coconut flan) were amazing. If you have a chance to schedule a class with them you will NOT be disappointed. They will come right to your room and make everything with you right there in your kitchen. They bring all of the supplies, and if you have any booze they will also make you a mean cocktail. Could not recommend them more! When I go back to Costa Rica, I'm looking them up, for sure.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Hi Karla L.....thanks for the great review and comments on your stay in Tulemar......Emily was your on line concierge.....and she knows all the best tour guides and activities in the area....and she can handle everything from your transportation to Manuel Antonio to surf lessons.....Emily can make those arrangements......including the cooking class and picking the best accommodations for your group....the Buena Vista 3 Bedroom Villa.....(sorry if there was a musty smell - we could have corrected that for you!)......Chef Chris and Jose do a great job with their cooking class.....held right in your villa.....you select the menu and the whole family eats your "homework".....plus they are so much fun......thanks, again....for taking the time to post this review and we'd love to see you back again!

Bastrop, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

What a delightful experience ! The staff here are top notch - Andres, Orlando, Gabriel, Michael all put their guest' experience foremost and make every effort to provide excellent service. The rooms were beautiful with lovely balconies complete with hammock. Private beach is clean with an attendant, swimming pools are smaller and intimate, staff excellent. We loved the unspoiled, lush grounds with an abundance of wild life. The property is spread out but drivers are prompt and accommodating. Food in Manuel Antonio is pricey but the restaurant at the resort is excellent and reasonable for quality, ambience and service. Location is ideal with easy access to activities.

Room Tip: There are no "bad" rooms at this facility. We had an ocean view but as we wandered around...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
HI BrendaS80......so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay in one of our Buena Vista Villas.....(1-2 or 3 bedroom choices!).......and thanks for the kind words about our staff......we're also pleased that you enjoyed our full service restaurant......breakfast/lunch/dinner with an amazing ocean view......thanks, again for posting the review and for booking with us here directly!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

We stay here in a bungalow close to the restaurant and pool! This bungalow was not newly refurbished like some of them are. But the room was still very nice and comes with a mini kitchen twin bed and pull out bed as well as two queen beds in the next room.
The water heater and pressure was bad, not enough hot water for four people.

My only complaint is there is no jacuzzi at any of the four pools in the resort! I know it's hot there but all the hotels we stayed at had a jacuzzi! And when you are zip lining hiking etc you get sore muscles, and the pool was cold!

But I still have to say this place saved our vacation!
Location is great! - walking distance to grocery store and good restaurants

Private beach! With free kayaks and towel service and food etc

The best thing for us was all the wild life ! We saw more wild life in the four days we stayed at Tulemar then the 10 days at the other hotels/parks/ etc combined

Tulemar was a wonderful end to our vacation!
Our concierge never checked in with us except at our check in. We did not need him but if we did it would have been nice for him to check in. But in short I have to say again that I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed September 2013
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Hi bowiebow......thank you so much for the great review.....I'm so sorry your concierge did not make contact....he could have handled the issue of the water pressure/hot water.....and he could have made your stay even more enjoyable......you are right....there are no "community" jacuzzi's in the resort.....but 17 of our suites have a private one on the balcony......glad you enjoyed our beach.....the wildlife.....and our location.....(over 10 restaurants, 2 ATM's and a grocery store within 2 blocks of our front gates)......thanks for all of your kind words and we'd love to have you back with us......I'll make sure you have a great concierge!

Walnut Creek, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Bottom Line (at the top): DO NOT MISS THIS PLACE! Fantastic hospitality and location with immaculate grounds, private beach, four pools, and ample wildlife right outside your front/back doors!

Details:My boyfriend and I (20somethings) visited Tulemar in early September 2013. We stayed at Casa Panorama South Lower, which is a 1B/1B lockoff apartment with private entrance, full kitchen and outdoor grill, and large balcony with unobstructed ocean views! All communication prior to arrival is handled through Kimberly Barron, who was SO welcoming, attentive, and helpful throughout our stay. We felt as though we were her personal guests! Upon arrival, she met us at reception, drove us around the property in the dark so we could get a start on getting our bearings and then, after allowing us as much time as we needed to settle our bags, she took us to the local market (walking distance) and then offered to bring our groceries back to the unit after dropping us off at a spot for dinner! What a doll! The Tulemar staff were also all wonderful: very polite, attentive, friendly, and timely.

The property is quite large and on steep hills (believe the reviews, I thought we would walk...but not after we killed our calves the first day!), but the shuttle service was accessible and prompt! We shuttled up to reception, down to the beach, and back again. Casa Panorama South is located very near the Family Pool and fairly near the main pool with the restaurant and bar. Since we traveled in low season, Tulemar was only running one shuttle (still no delays) and some of the bars were closed (not a problem because no crowds). We highly recommend the low season travel! Although we were told that we saw unseasonably great weather, including fabulous RED sunsets from our balcony, the area holds true to rumors that it rains in the afternoon, usually from about 3pm-6pm. NBD! You have most pools and restaurants to yourself and It's a tropical paradise so you're ready for a nap by then anyway!

Other perks:
Location: Shuttle/Walk to the top of the property and you are within 5min or less walking distance to more than 10 great restaurants with a variety of cuisine (vietnamese, mexican, typico costa rican, fish&chips, fish/steak, falafel, froyo, etc!). Also walking distance to the main grocery market and an alternative. Then, at the bottom of the hill within the property is a fabulous beach! Shoutout to David at the beach stand who was so friendly, helping us set up towels/chairs, a kayak, and boogie boards! The waves were enough to boogie board, but also conducive for easy wading in the luke warm water! Slightly rocky, as other reviewers have noted, but not enough to disrupt the experience (no hideous water socks necessary!).

Animals: I can't believe it took this long into my post to get to the animals!!! They were so abundant on the Tulemar property. Just outside of Casa Panorama South, down the hill before the first intersection, there is, as Kimberly called it "A major monkey thoroughfare!" AND SHE WAS RIGHT! Daily we saw troops of white faced monkeys crossing in this area and feasting on fruits and cicadas! They get so close to you that you have to be prepared with cameras at all times! We also saw two sloths, including a pregnant one, troops of squirrel monkeys, howler monkeys (which you can hear semifrequently throughout the grounds), weird anteater raccoon things, and lots of birds and iguanas! The abundance of animals was a constant reminder of the rainforest paradise that is Tulemar.

Needless to say....we will be back and we have already recommended Casa Panorama South at Tulemar to all of our friends back home!

Room Tip: Casa Panorama South Lower - everything you need out of a condo style hotel room! Very clean, beautif...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Hi kristinbot.....WOW! Thanks for the excellent review on your stay in Casa Panorama at Tulemar! Kimberly, your personal concierge, is amazing.....she devotes so much time to her guests....as you experienced......always available to make the trip easy and special......thanks for your comments on our beach, the pools, the weather, the wildlife, shuttle service and our location.....right in the heart of Manuel Antonio......within easy walking distance to over 10 restaurants, the grocery store and 2 ATM's.....thank you so much for booking with us directly and we'll be ready for your return!

Tulemar Dave

Been to Tulemar Bungalows & Villas? Share your experiences!