“Family vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tulemar Bungalows & Villas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manuel Antonio National Park
Tulemar Bungalows & Villas
You added Tulemar Bungalows & Villas to your Saves list
Tulemar Gardens, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Mini Suites - From $175!
Shelter Island, New York
“Family vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

So glad I found Tulemar. My family of four - 2 sons 11 and 8 stayed in a deluxe one bedroom villa #305. We had great ocean views and a white cappuccian monkey come visit one day. We also had geckos galore, an inguana at the pool and sloths hanging from trees. The concierge, Brian was there for all of our needs. We would decide on an activity and he would have it booked within hours. He brought a birthday cake for my younger sons birthday and told the ATV tour operator we were visiting that day about my son's birthday. The Tour gave him a t-shirt as a birthday present. Just an example of the friendly thoughtful service. Alhaira, the waitress at the restaurant for lunch and breakfast gave us helpful hints about what to do in the area and served us as if we were a part of her family. Know that the resort is built on a hill so there is a lot of walking up steep hills. They resort does supply a regular and quick shuttle but you still have to walk from the parking to the room - this can be a strenuous walk for some people. I had a great massage in an open air patio with the rain coming down. Great antidote to a very active vacation. Beautiful. The highlight for my sons was the private beach. It is perfect for boogie boarding. They rode the waves for hours. The waves were very manageable which allowed me to relax but were big enough for the boys to really enjoy and not get bored. Don't miss zip lining.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Hi sipatty......thanks for the comments and review of your stay in one of our One Bedroom Select Villas.....so glad you enjoyed your time with us......the One Bedroom Select Villas are great for a family of four......2 queen beds in the bedroom......plus a living/dining/full kitchen.....and a large balcony with furnishings......all with great ocean views......we have 6 of these and they are located on the steepest part of Tulemar.....so yes, you do get a workout......but the views and the secluded location are worth it.......(and they have their own pool which is often deserted).....thanks for your comments about Brian.....your concierge.....and our other staff members......they really try to make everyone feel the "pura vida" experience.......thanks, again, for taking the time to post your review and we'd love to have you back with us!

Tulemar Dave

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
North Bend, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My two daughters and I stayed in one of the bungelows last week and were so sorry to have to leave. This place has everything you need.....Great central location, we had beautiful ocean views from every window (#113), had a fridge and cook top in our room, internet worked great in our room, the adult pool was like having your own personal pool....never anyone there and the grounds are gorgeous. Julien was our concierge and he was really helpful if we had any questions. There are restaurants and a supermarket within walking distance but Julien offered to take us to the grocery store on our first day so we could pick up some items to make sandwiches and pancakes. It was nice that we didn't have to eat out every meal. We saw sloths and monkeys on the hiking trail that leads down to the beach (not a difficult walk mostly downhill). No need to worry about walking back up the trail...the shuttle at the bottom will give you a ride any time! They were really great all around. We had planned to spend half of our trip in Tulemar and half in the Arenal area but I seriously considered trying to cancel the Arenal hotel last minute so we could stay in Tulemar. We will definitely go back to Tulemar!

Thanks Julien and everyone at Tulemar.....you do a fantastic job and I appreciate all you did to make our stay special!

Room Tip: Bungelows have beautiful ocean views and are above the treetops. If you want to see monkeys or sloth...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Hi CharandShawn2013......thanks for the great review on your stay in one of our Tulemar Bungalows and the Tulemar Resort.....we loved having you with us.....and thanks for the kind words on Julien.....(our young Frenchman)......and your personal concierge......he really is wonderful......he wants all of his guests to have a fun, memorable stay and enjoy Tulemar (and Costa Rica) as much as we do.....we have so many guests that feel the same way that you do.....they wish they hadn't split their stay and could spend more time here.....well.....I hope that means that you'll be coming back to see us again......we'll all be ready for you.....thanks, again, for posting the review!
Bedford, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We had our first experience of Costa Rica and were left spell bound. This was the first trip we can remember having where the people were as spectacular as the surroundings. If you value personal service that goes above and beyond then we recommend Tulemar and especially Villa Motmot! Diego,Vanessa, Bill and Al were amazing. Have you ever been on vacation and experienced a follow up call after an excursion? Bill not only was great at helping us determine which adventures were best for us but met us personally before each excursion and called to check on our experience afterwards. Al personally escorted us to the little store for more supplies and even transported us into Quepos when we were looking for a specific restaurant. I know they probably had other guests to take care of but honestly we felt we were their top priority. Diego kudos on the great transportation. Your new van was very comfy and cool. Vanessa was kind enough to ship us copy of our photo cd that yours truly left in our room by accident.

We loved the many fruit trees on the property. Every time we went walking we discovered something new. The monkeys were spectacular. I remember watching a small group of monkeys make their way around the huge sapote tree directly behind mot mot handling the fruits one at a time checking them for ripeness. A mother and baby scuttled up right past us in our hammock. The views were breathtaking as well and the grounds were exceptionally well kept. We look forward to our next Costa Rican trip. Thanks again for all the wonderful memories.
James & Estee

Room Tip: If you looking for intimate choose mot mot. If your bringing the family get the whole villa.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi EsteeHamm......thanks for the excellent review on your stay in Villa Mot Mot and of the Tulemar Resort......we loved having you with us.....Villa Mot Mot is one of our most popular villas.....the ocean views....the large balcony.....the wildlife visits......and the personal service from the "concierge team Diego".....handling all of the details for you......make it the perfect choice......plus all of the amenities of Tulemar......our beach.....the 4 pools......the hiking trails......resort shuttle.....and full service restaurant......thanks again for booking with us directly at 4tulemar.com and we hope to see you back again!

Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband, 10 yr old son and I had a wonderful stay at the Tulemar Bungalows. We stayed in Bungalow 112, which was a perfect size for our family of three. Our son stayed on the daybed on the living room side and had his own flat screen tv, and we of course stayed on the bedroom side. We booked through Costa Rican Vacations, which did a fantastic job putting us a trip together with 3 days at Arenal Volcano and four days in Manuel Antonio at the Tulemar Bungalows. As others have mentioned and the Tulemar website clearly explains, the bungalows are the oldest buildings on the property and the décor reflects this, but they have stellar views and are quite clean, comfortable and a wonderful home base to come back to after a day of adventures.

Our bungalow was very close to a lovely infinity edge pool with the open air restaurant and bar next to it. We ate breakfast there each morning and cooled off in the pool in the late afternoons. The view of the Pacific is fabulous, the food and service are great, and they make awesome guaro sours! All of the staff we encountered were incredibly friendly and helpful. By the 2nd day the bartender remembered what I liked and waiters knew us too.

We spent one day down at the private beach and nearly had it to ourselves. There are comfy loungers down there for relaxing and reading, and my husband and son had a blast riding the waves on boogie boards. I saw other people taking out the kayaks. There is a tiki bar down there where you can get drinks and snacks. We saw a little troupe of spider monkeys down there by the beach - so cute! They told us to allow 20 minutes when we called for a car to take us back up the hill but it came much sooner than that. It really is a crazy steep hill, you will be exhausted and sweating buckets if you decide to walk it, but my husband and son walked it on another day and they lived, lol. You will likely see monkeys and sloths on the journey.

The folks up in the office were terrific and helped us plan several excursions. One day we combined two excursions, the Damas Mangrove tour and the Manuel Antonio park tour. Our guide was Dennis and he was so good. For the mangrove tour we were in a nice covered boat & saw monkeys, bats, crabs, lizards and a silky anteater. It was a very pleasant boat ride and we went all the way to where the mangrove canals met the Pacific. The tour of MA park was wonderful too! Dennis was very knowledgeable about the flora and fauna and was also very nice and friendly and we had a great day. He spotted so many things for us to look at and I think we saw seven sloths by the time the tour was over!

The next day, the Tulemar staff booked us a horseback ride to a waterfall. My son had never ridden a horse and I was a little nervous for him and myself, but the horses were very tame. We walked down a road through the rainforest to a little river. Then we took a short hike on foot through the rainforest to an amazing little waterfall. We were able to swim under the falls and it was really fantastic. If you do this tour, don't forget to bring your waterproof camera because you need pics of your family under a waterfall in the Costa Rican rainforest!

THANKS so much to the staff at Tulemar Bungalows for making our first trip to Costa Rica an unforgettable adventure!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hi Betsy E.....thanks for the wonderful and detailed review of your stay in one of our Tulemar Bungalows......so glad to hear that you enjoyed yourselves.......from the Bungalow itself.....to our beach.....the staff.....and the excursions.......you covered it all......and I know it will be a big help for others.....we really appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you back again!

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

A BIG "Thank You" to everyone at Tulemar for the wonderful service we received during our 4 night stay in the Buena Vista Bungalow!! Our concierge, Brian Miranda was extremely helpful in planning our excursions and sharing the history of Costa Rica, as well as giving us 24 hour top-notch service during our time at Tulemar (he even checked in with us on his day OFF). From spectacular sunset views from el Mirador to your own private beach, wildlife all around - this place has it ALL!! Hope to return soon...Pura Vida!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Hi nic773.....thanks for posting a great review on your stay in one of our Bungalows in Tulemar.....we loved having you with us.......thanks for the kind words on Brian too.....your personal concierge......and I agree with your last comment....."Tulemar has it ALL"......a large selection of accommodations........the Tulemar Beach......4 pools......hiking trails.....lots of wildlife.....and a location right in the heart of Manuel Antonio......thanks again for the review and we hope to have you back with us again!

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I take a yearly "romantic" trip every year. We've been to so so many islands, all through Mexico, and even some spots within the good ol' US....however, this was by far (next to our Honeymoon in Maui) one of my favorite trips ever.

I fell in love with Costa Rica overall. I found the country to be absolutely gorgeous, the people very welcoming, and the food was delicious.

We chose the Tulemar not knowing at all what to expect...and we were so pleasantly surprised!!

The staff at the Tulemar are some of the most kind, friendly, out-going people we've ever met. They cater to your every need...and then some. We had Brian as our concierge and he was exceptional - I can't thank him enough! Roberto was our tour guide for the National Park and he knew more than you could imagine someone would know! Marianna in the front and the girls that work in the restaurant were just heartwarming. I would smile every time I saw them!

We also had a couples massage at the spa...and we were under the tent outdoors and it starting raining. My idea of a perfect massage... ;o)

There are a couple of things one must keep in mind - as my husband reminds me "everyone is on island time. Slow down!" and he's right. It's a vacation - and once I kept pace with those around me it was perfect.

The hills at the resort are quite steep. My husband and I used it as a challenge to whip ourselves into shape - and that's just what we did! We only used the car service 1 time in our 4 days...we used the walk to talk, be dorky and hold hands, and look for monkeys (they're everywhere!). The one time we did use the car - it did take a couple of minutes for it to get down there - but once I sat back, relaxed, and enjoyed the scenery while I waited - it was no big deal.

All in all, the Tulemar was everything I could have ever wanted. I cannot wait to go back...not only for the country and vacation - but to see all of those smiling faces again! We had so much fun!

Thanks for everything. We'll be back soon!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Hi kellianne101....thanks for the great review on your stay in Tulemar.......I loved your descriptions of the people and the Pura Vida spirit......so many of our guests feel just like you.....and come back to Costa Rica over and over again......(or move here like I did!)......we appreciate you taking the time to post your review and we'll be ready when you are ready to come back!

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My family and I spent ten beautiful days in Tulemar at Villa Kiskadee. We shared a part of Manuel Antonio national park (literally -- only our panoramic glass windows separated us from it all) with butterflies, monkeys, sloths, toucans, Kiskadees, bats, spiders and other wonderful creatures visiting our terrace and lap pool. The people all care deeply about their environment. We learned the true meaning of "pura vida." Everything about our trip was perfect. Mauricio Jara, our concierge, Luz, our housekeeper, and Rodolfo, our gardener, made sure that our needs were met -- including scheduling chefs for dinner preparation, arranging restaurant reservations and activities (fishing, white water rafting, zip line rides), cleaning the mud stains from my white stained linen pants, and pointing out wildlife. We saw amazing thunder and lightening storms, rainbows, and blue and rose skies. I could go on and on about this place. I will most certainly return to paradise.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hi ljdamiani.....so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Villa Kiskadee.....one of our premier, private villas in Tulemar......you are right about the wildlife visits.....Villa Kiskadee probably gets more wildlife visits than any other private villa in Tulemar....due to its secluded location....and it also has one of the top panoramic ocean views too......with 4 bedrooms / 4.5 baths / 3 floors and a private pool....it was a great choice for your group.......thanks for the kind words on our staff as well.....Mauricio delights in putting smiles on his guest's faces......he always has a special treat or surprise.......thanks, again, for booking with us and we'd love to see you back again!

Tulemar Dave

Been to Tulemar Bungalows & Villas? Share your experiences!