“Garden House” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tulemar Bungalows & Villas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manuel Antonio National Park
Tulemar Bungalows & Villas
Tulemar Gardens, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
BUNGALOWS - $225- MAY 1ST
Miami, FL
“Garden House”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

So relaxing and I needed it. Walking through the front doors and seeing the breathtaking view of the Pacific Ocean was just what the doctor ordered. Waking up each morning to the sounds of the monkeys in the trees around the house and doing my Yoga exercises by the pool with all the wonderful birds and wildlife around was just such an ideal setting. After having breakfast on the pool deck, I would walk to the beach, which was 5 minutes from the front door. It was so great to be able to walk down to it whenever I wanted and often a couple of times a day, and the beach itself is just incredible with a friendly and helpful staff.

The pool at the house was so great and inviting and warm, we could just jump in it day or night.

The tours that I took were great; the sunset sail tour, a horse back riding tour, Canopy Safari Zip line tour All were amazing and ever so much fun and all of the staff and guides offered such great service. I have traveled the world and I can say that this country does really appreciate their tourists.

I plan on returning in July, this time with my daughter, to share with her the wonderful experiences I had in Tulemar.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Hi Draha H......thanks for the wonderful review on your stay in Garden House....one of our premier, private villas in Tulemar.......your description was perfect.....and I'm happy that you'll be returning in July......Garden House is really our best villa for larger families......it sleeps 10 (or maybe 11 with little kids).......it has a big pool too with big sunny decks.......and great ocean views......plus all the amenities of Tulemar.....thanks again for posting the review and we'll see you in July!

1,028 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Lilburn, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

What a way to end our visit to Costa Rica. Incredible views, warm welcoming staff. Especially Orlando, who provided us with so much local information about where to eat, where to shop and other fun local knowledge.

The villa was nice, a little older than I had imagined, but the property was breath-taking. Lots of Monkeys, sloths, beautiful tropical birds.

The best things however was the incredible view of the rocky Pacific Coast.

Te private beach was great.... so many shade trees that some days we even went without sunscreen in the Tropical Paradise.

I would highly recommend!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Hi Robert R....thanks for taking the time to post the review on your stay in one of our Tulemar Bungalows......we're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay.....and that Orlando took such good care of you......Tulemar is very special......from the amazing ocean views in the Bungalows.....to the amount of wildlife you'll see......and our Tulemar Beach......plus a perfect location in the heart of Manuel Antonio.....yes....the Bungalows are 20 years old......we describe them as "jungle rustic".....but they look exactly like they do in the photos.....if not better......thanks, again, for staying with us and we'd love to have you back!

Pennington, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed in Tulemar Bungalows the first week of April. We have been to Costa Rica on several occasions and the beauty of this property and the service we received we unsurpassed. We booked through Dave and had Chris Madrigal as our concierge. Chris was extremely helpful in organizing our transportation and our daily activities. We hiked in Manual Antonio, chartered a fishing boat out of Quepos, took the adventure tour through the jungle and took private surfing lessons.

The restaurants in the area are great. Our favorite was Cafe Milagro...we ate there for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is an easy walk from the property and the coffee is muy rico.

The Tulemar property is a very special place. The homes are perched high on a hill and a trail leads to a beautiful private beach. If you don't feel like walking there is a private shuttle on the property that is ready to pick you and your gang up for the ride to or from the beach. There are kayaks, lounge chairs, and boogie boards for your use at the beach. When we go back to Costa Rica we will definitely go back to Tulemar.

Pura Vida

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
HI DBWITT.....so glad you enjoyed your stay in one of our Tulemar Bungalows........they really are great for a small family......like a treehouse in the jungle......with great ocean views......rustic, but with all the amenities.......and having Chris as your personal concierge makes it even more special......he can take care of all the details.....like transportation from San Jose to Manuel Antonio.....and your tours/activities or fishing boat.....even dining suggestions or a trip to the grocery store.....glad to hear you also enjoyed the Tulemar Beach.......warm, tropical waters......lots of palm trees......and always a monkey or two hanging around......plus free lounge chairs, umbrellas, kayaks, boogie boards and towel service......thanks for booking with me at 4tulemar.com and we hope to see you back again....(Chris says "Hi"!).

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We ( mom , dad , 9 year old and 73 year old grandma) spent a week at Tulimar and had an awesome time. The property is beautiful.the private beach is really nice. You can even have breakfast or lunch ( or just drinks ) at the beach. There is a shuttle service that will take you back to your bungalow. I enjoyed the hiking trails . I saw bats, sloth, 3 kinds of monkeys, lots of birds including vultures , a variety of lizards and crabs on the property. We saw monkeys from our balcony ! The wildlife is more accessible that at the Manuel Antonio National Park!
The bungalow was just as beautiful as the photo on the website. It was luxurious and clean too.
Chris ( our concierge ) arranged everything to make our trip stress free and fun. He arranged our transportation from the airport , dinner reservations and our many activities. We went horseback riding, zip lining ( twice) and whitewater rafting. Chis was really great and took care of us .
Another great thing about the location is there are many really great restaurants close by ( some walking distance) .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hi Michael C.....thanks for the great review on your stay in Tulemar.....so glad to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations and the amenities.....like our beach.....the hiking trails.......the resort shuttle......and all of the wildlife......the abundance and variety of wildlife really makes your stay unique and exciting......and you're correct....our location is very handy.....we're right in the heart of Manuel Antonio......within walking distance to over 10 restaurants.....2 ATM's and a grocery store......thanks for the remarks about Chris.....your personal concierge......everyone loves Chris.....he really works hard to handle all of the details of your stay and to make sure you have a wonderful stay.......thanks for booking with me at 4tulemar.com and we hope to see you back again soon!

Napa, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We just sadly left our jungle oasis at Casa Las Nubes. What an incredible house and property this was. The house is architecturally stunning and the amenities are second to none. We were treated like royalty from the moment we arrived and were so thankful to Diego and Bill, our house concierges, for their constant help every time we turned around. They took us on nature hikes around the property, always finding a Sloth or a particular bird that completely eluded the rest of us. All reservations at local eateries were handled for us and our zip-lining excursion as well. What a blast that was! The house was hard to leave it was such a beautiful setting. Completely indoor/outdoor living. Sunsets from the house were a ritual, then dinner and early to bed so we could get up between 5:00 and 6:00 am to hear all the waking jungle sounds. We did go hiking in the National Park but truly saw more animals on the Tulemar property. White Faced Monkey's all over and we heard a Howler or two but never actually saw them. Lots of Sloths, birds and the house Iguana, Larry. Everyone was so nice and helpful, it was the nicest vacation we have ever had. Thank you one and all for an outstanding stay. The Christianson Family, Napa Valley, CA.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Hi Alison....it was nice meeting you and your family.......thank you so much for the wonderful review on your stay in Casa Las Nubes.....one of our premier, private villas in Tulemar.......the award winning design of Casa Las Nubes is amazing......(the pool begins at the front door, goes thru the middle of the house and out the back side over an infinity edge!).......as are the ocean views, the amenities, the service and the location in Tulemar.......your routine of early to bed and early to rise is the way most of us live here......(the sun rises at 5:30 AM and sets at 5:30 PM almost year round)......one of the best parts of the day is 5 AM.....about 1/2 before sunrise.....when the birds and animals awaken and the sounds of the jungle come alive......magical.....and you're a part of it in Tulemar.......33 acres of jungle......and our beach.......right in the heart of Manuel Antonio.....plus you have Diego and his team to handle all the details.......thanks for staying with us and we'd love to have you back again!

Central Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Let's get the minor negatives out of the way:
1) There was a slight hiccup with initial booking in that the price quote was different from my email confirmation, but that was taken care of immediately when Julien was notified.
2) Shuttle service on site could be a little slow....only 1 time in the 20+ calls we made for shuttle service was I disappointed. Would that be considered a positive or negative?

Now for the positives:
1) First of all, you have your own concierge. What a more could you ask for? Our concierge was Julien. Any questions were responded to in a timely fashion by either Julien or Dave or other staff. (During our trip, Julien brought us fresh-baked brownies...still warm!!! Another thoughtful treat.)
2) Their WEBSITE is well-designed. I loved looking at previous guests photos and using the chat feature on their website to get questions answered immediately. Once I left a question on the chat site after hours. When I checked the next morning my question had been answered by Dave at 4:00 a.m. Man, do you ever sleep? Their website also lists a number of activities of which we participated in...jet ski, whitewater rafting (Anthony and Castor were the best!!!), the Adventure Park, ATV's, and a hike in the Manuel Antonio park. I just let Julien know before we arrived what we wanted to do and when, and BAM!!! It was done. Julien was also instrumental in arranging transportation to and from San Jose. We had a driver going from San Jose to Tulemar.....a long drive...3 1/2 hours, but we got to see more of the country and the huge crocs. We even stopped at a produce market and picked up fresh fruit for the week, including green coconuts, with my favorite healthy drink, coconut water. Just pierce with a small pick axe (thank goodness they had one at the produce market), insert straw, and enjoy. We also picked up water for the week...the 6 liter Cristal was almost sufficient for 2 for the week and we're big water drinkers. Of course we picked up a few additional staples like crackers, cheese (Be careful of the Brie. It was a little too strong even for my taste. It had been repackaged over the President brand we get in the States. It had probably been in the cooler a long time and had extra time for fermenting or had seen a little more warm temperatures to accelerate the fermentation process.) Of course we had to sample Chilean Carmenere wine which is easily accessible due to the agreement between Chile and Costa Rica that no tax is assessed on Chilean wine imports. On our return to San Jose, we opted for the short plane ride back. It was an easy trip......get to the airport 45 minutes before departure, have a short 20 minute flight to San Jose in a small (12 seater) plane. You can also pay your departure tax at the Quepos airport, $34, if you want to avoid the line in San Jose. They take cash and credit cards there. If you have a tendency for motion sickness, take some Dramamine an hour before you leave. Just don't drink that evening!!! I made that mistake and WHOA!!! I had forgotten that I had taken Dramamine...the anti-drowsy formula... that morning. We were celebrating my love's birthday, had a bottle of great Chilean wine, and I was having a great time (although I almost fell asleep at dinner so I was informed.) We stayed at the Marriott San Jose, close to the airport...10-15 minutes by taxi. The taxi fare was $10 on the way to the hotel and $15 going back to the airport. The room, #481, was very comfortable...we enjoy being at the back of the hotel, overlooking a soccer field, and a farm with pastures and cattle. (It brought back memories of my childhood growing up on a farm, from which I left at 18 for the big city lights of Houston and Dallas.....still miss my roots on occasion.) The food at the Marriott was very good (I had sea bass that was to die for!!!) and the service was exemplary. The Marriott is also on the Tulemar website.
3) We stayed in Bungalow #114. We felt that we were in our own private tropical paradise, insulated from other bungalows by dense jungle foliage with the expanse of windows in the living and bedroom (fully operable with screens) looking out onto the panorama of the Pacific. We had rain the evening of our arrival. We opened all the windows and were immersed in the romantic ambiance of the sound and fresh smell of rain without the pollution. It was a great way to cap off a long day of travel and prepare for our first morning at Tulemar, that of jet skiing in the open Pacific.
4) There were many restaurants just outside the gates. We had dinner 3 evenings out of 7 at Victoria's. Enough said....Go. I loved the view and tapas at Cantina Salsipuedes. Breakfast at Cafe Milagro was yummy with the addition of their coffee and gift shop.
5) Accolades go out to the owners and management. The private beach was a great escape from the afternoon heat in the bungalow when there was no cloud cover to calm the sun. The bungalow faced west which made for good sunsets, but also it would heat up a bit in the afternoon. The breezes, shade, and sparkling water at the beach was a relaxing respite from busy days. Just a sidebar.....the food and service at the beach was a little lacking, but overall a great place to enjoy our holiday.
5) Everyone was friendly and spoke English. Yay!!! For this I was extremely grateful since my Spanish is severely limited.

I have already recommended this place to my friends back home and will continue to do so without reservation.

PURA VIDA!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Hi Ms Happy Central Texas.....wow....what a review.....thanks for all of the details......we're so glad that you enjoyed your stay in one of our Tulemar Bungalows.......rustic, jungle decor.....with amazing ocean views.....and immersed in the vegetation......perfect.....thanks for the comments on Julien as well......our guests really do love him.......he takes care of all the details.....and makes your trip fun and easy.....thanks for the nice remarks about our web site (we are always making improvements-there is so much useful information there - from activities, transportation, weather and even fun classes like surfing, cooking and yoga!).......yes.....I do start my day early......around 3 AM......but I'm in bed early as well........so I do get my sleep......we all loved having you with us and we hope to see you back again!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

What a beautiful spot! I stayed in a Bungalow with my two young children and my mother. The service was incredible everywhere we went. We saw monkeys on the North Beach Trail, at the pool, and even at the reception area. At one point, my son hadn't seen any monkeys so the driver of the van drove us to a location where monkeys had just been spotted. Sure enough, we saw them! The family pool was wonderful and this is where we spent most of our time. The beach was nice but the undertow was strong and some of the waves were big. There were also a lot of rocks in the "shallow" part of the beach which made it hard to stand. These factors made it difficult for my children to safely play in the water which is why we ended up at the pool. However, for anyone older, it would be great.

The bungalow itself was beautiful. We loved the panorama views and used the kitchen daily for breakfast and sometimes dinner. Anyone looking to stay here will not be disappointed!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Hi TorontoTica.....thanks for the great review on your stay in one of our Tulemar Bungalows......they really are a fun place to stay for families....the kids feel like they're in a treehouse.......up on stilts.......windows all around......surrounded by jungle.......ocean views......with a rustic/jungle decor and very unique.......no "Holiday Inn" hotel room here......you are right about the abundance of wildlife too......our resort sits on 33 acres......we have all three types of monkey.....both types of sloths.....exotic birds and reptiles......all around us.....so glad to hear that you used our hiking trails too......they are wonderful......lots of chances to see the wildlife plus dramatic ocean views......a note of explanation about our beach......I think this is the first time I've ever read or heard comments like yours.......our beach is in a secluded cove.......so we don't get the giant waves that make it dangerous or hard to swim/play.......there might be certain times of the day with the high tides (which change hourly) that the waves are larger......but mostly they are mild.....perfect for swimming, boogie boards and kayaks......same with riptides......I've never heard about or experienced them on our beach......again.....maybe in a situation with the high tides.......(the government does require that all beaches post warning signs about "rip tides", so maybe that is what you are referring to).........and occasionally the ocean does throw up some gravel/rocks on the beach.......but it is usually swept back in by the next day......again......I think you must have experienced an unusual day at our beach......David....our "beach services" guy....is always around to give you advice/guidance about the conditions and to set up your lounge chairs and umbrellas......hope to see you back again!

Tulemar Dave

Been to Tulemar Bungalows & Villas? Share your experiences!