Let's get the minor negatives out of the way:
1) There was a slight hiccup with initial booking in that the price quote was different from my email confirmation, but that was taken care of immediately when Julien was notified.
2) Shuttle service on site could be a little slow....only 1 time in the 20+ calls we made for shuttle service was I disappointed. Would that be considered a positive or negative?
Now for the positives:
1) First of all, you have your own concierge. What a more could you ask for? Our concierge was Julien. Any questions were responded to in a timely fashion by either Julien or Dave or other staff. (During our trip, Julien brought us fresh-baked brownies...still warm!!! Another thoughtful treat.)
2) Their WEBSITE is well-designed. I loved looking at previous guests photos and using the chat feature on their website to get questions answered immediately. Once I left a question on the chat site after hours. When I checked the next morning my question had been answered by Dave at 4:00 a.m. Man, do you ever sleep? Their website also lists a number of activities of which we participated in...jet ski, whitewater rafting (Anthony and Castor were the best!!!), the Adventure Park, ATV's, and a hike in the Manuel Antonio park. I just let Julien know before we arrived what we wanted to do and when, and BAM!!! It was done. Julien was also instrumental in arranging transportation to and from San Jose. We had a driver going from San Jose to Tulemar.....a long drive...3 1/2 hours, but we got to see more of the country and the huge crocs. We even stopped at a produce market and picked up fresh fruit for the week, including green coconuts, with my favorite healthy drink, coconut water. Just pierce with a small pick axe (thank goodness they had one at the produce market), insert straw, and enjoy. We also picked up water for the week...the 6 liter Cristal was almost sufficient for 2 for the week and we're big water drinkers. Of course we picked up a few additional staples like crackers, cheese (Be careful of the Brie. It was a little too strong even for my taste. It had been repackaged over the President brand we get in the States. It had probably been in the cooler a long time and had extra time for fermenting or had seen a little more warm temperatures to accelerate the fermentation process.) Of course we had to sample Chilean Carmenere wine which is easily accessible due to the agreement between Chile and Costa Rica that no tax is assessed on Chilean wine imports. On our return to San Jose, we opted for the short plane ride back. It was an easy trip......get to the airport 45 minutes before departure, have a short 20 minute flight to San Jose in a small (12 seater) plane. You can also pay your departure tax at the Quepos airport, $34, if you want to avoid the line in San Jose. They take cash and credit cards there. If you have a tendency for motion sickness, take some Dramamine an hour before you leave. Just don't drink that evening!!! I made that mistake and WHOA!!! I had forgotten that I had taken Dramamine...the anti-drowsy formula... that morning. We were celebrating my love's birthday, had a bottle of great Chilean wine, and I was having a great time (although I almost fell asleep at dinner so I was informed.) We stayed at the Marriott San Jose, close to the airport...10-15 minutes by taxi. The taxi fare was $10 on the way to the hotel and $15 going back to the airport. The room, #481, was very comfortable...we enjoy being at the back of the hotel, overlooking a soccer field, and a farm with pastures and cattle. (It brought back memories of my childhood growing up on a farm, from which I left at 18 for the big city lights of Houston and Dallas.....still miss my roots on occasion.) The food at the Marriott was very good (I had sea bass that was to die for!!!) and the service was exemplary. The Marriott is also on the Tulemar website.
3) We stayed in Bungalow #114. We felt that we were in our own private tropical paradise, insulated from other bungalows by dense jungle foliage with the expanse of windows in the living and bedroom (fully operable with screens) looking out onto the panorama of the Pacific. We had rain the evening of our arrival. We opened all the windows and were immersed in the romantic ambiance of the sound and fresh smell of rain without the pollution. It was a great way to cap off a long day of travel and prepare for our first morning at Tulemar, that of jet skiing in the open Pacific.
4) There were many restaurants just outside the gates. We had dinner 3 evenings out of 7 at Victoria's. Enough said....Go. I loved the view and tapas at Cantina Salsipuedes. Breakfast at Cafe Milagro was yummy with the addition of their coffee and gift shop.
5) Accolades go out to the owners and management. The private beach was a great escape from the afternoon heat in the bungalow when there was no cloud cover to calm the sun. The bungalow faced west which made for good sunsets, but also it would heat up a bit in the afternoon. The breezes, shade, and sparkling water at the beach was a relaxing respite from busy days. Just a sidebar.....the food and service at the beach was a little lacking, but overall a great place to enjoy our holiday.
5) Everyone was friendly and spoke English. Yay!!! For this I was extremely grateful since my Spanish is severely limited.
I have already recommended this place to my friends back home and will continue to do so without reservation.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Hi Ms Happy Central Texas.....wow....what a review.....thanks for all of the details......we're so glad that you enjoyed your stay in one of our Tulemar Bungalows.......rustic, jungle decor.....with amazing ocean views.....and immersed in the vegetation......perfect.....thanks for the comments on Julien as well......our guests really do love him.......he takes care of all the details.....and makes your trip fun and easy.....thanks for the nice remarks about our web site (we are always making improvements-there is so much useful information there - from activities, transportation, weather and even fun classes like surfing, cooking and yoga!).......yes.....I do start my day early......around 3 AM......but I'm in bed early as well........so I do get my sleep......we all loved having you with us and we hope to see you back again!
Report response as inappropriate
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.