“This Place Should be #1 on Trip Advisor” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tulemar Bungalows & Villas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manuel Antonio National Park
Tulemar Bungalows & Villas
Save Saved
You added Tulemar Bungalows & Villas to your Saves list
Tulemar Gardens, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Bungalows-1 Night Free!
Austin, Texas
“This Place Should be #1 on Trip Advisor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Tulemar is a self-contained paradise that has everything you'll find in the Manuel Antonio park, only better! From the fantastic private beach to the beautiful property with pools, hiking trails and abundant wildlife (we saw several monkeys, sloths, birds...including a flock of tucans), you never need to leave Tulemar to experience the coast. We stayed in Panorama North, a 2-bedroom, 2-story unit that is well appointed and well maintained with 180-degree views from both balcony levels stretching from the water to the mountains. Balconies (one which has a hot tub) are a great place for bird/nature watching. Panorama North also has an excellent staff.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Hi 4austintx.....thanks for the great headline......we love that....and really appreciate your remarks......we work very hard to please all of our guests......so that they have a wonderful experience like you did.......from the accommodations.....to the personal concierge service.....to Tulemar itself.....with amazing ocean views.....our beach....the wildlife.....the hiking trails......and our location....right in the heart of Manuel Antonio.......Diego and Bill enjoyed having you stay with them in Casa Mirador......(new name!)......and we'd love to have you back again!

1,202 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed for 8 nights over our February vacation with our two children 12 and 9. We stayed in a 1 bedroom bungalow #116. Our room was spacious and clean and perfectly nice. The view is amazing and the sounds your hear outside seemed piped in. The only downside is they are in need of updating at some point and it would have been fantastic to have a deck. Julien and I believe Christian or Chris helped with all of our plans. They set up our ride from the airport which was long but pleasant. The driver took us to a great place to have lunch right outside of San Jose. He would have stopped for snacks and drinks whenever we wanted. They set up our fantastic white water rafting day, our ATV trip (don't wear anything good - it gets trashed) and surfing lessons. Johnny and two other guys took us to a great spot on the public beach and had my kids and I surfing to the beach. They were patient, excellent teachers. They brought drinks and snacks for us. We loved Tulemar's private beach (they could probably use a few more boogie boards), enjoyed the complimentary kayaks and all the animals - monkeys, sloths, iguanas - on the beautiful property. The beach bar was nice and the view while eating lunch was fantastic. The family pool is great, the pool next to our bungalow was a more convenient location and the view is gorgeous but unfortunately the bar area is closed and there is some construction going on. Costa Rica is a gorgeous place with extremely friendly, chill people who don't try to sell you everything in sight. Many good restaurants including Kapi Kapi and Cafe Milagro (great breakfast, lunch and dinner) are a very quick walk from the resort. The supermarket is a 2 minutes walk or they are happy to take you. It is a beautiful resort with a very helpful accommodating staff. I highly recommend it for a wonderful family trip. A perfect combination of relaxation and adventure.

Room Tip: Might want to splurge for the deck and updated house.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Hi 1330ag.....thanks for taking the time to post the review on your stay in our Tulemar Bungalows.......and Tulemar.......the Bungalows really are unique.......perched on the hillside with amazing ocean views......the jungle surrounding you....they look exactly like they do in the photos on our web site......great for a family like yours......the Bungalows are the only property in Tulemar without balconies or decks......so we have lots of options for your next trip......Julien and Chris enjoyed talking care of you during your stay....they really do know the best tours, activities and guides in the area......thanks again for staying wiith us and we hope to see you back again!

Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I just spent 6 nights at Tulamar and had my wedding there right on the beach! I had a group of 21 family and friends all staying at property. I was apprehensive about my guests enjoying time in Costa Rica and now soo happy with my decision to stay at Tulemar. Everyone loved it! I was especially nervous about my and husbands parents who rarely travel and would have probably never picked Costa Rica as a destination. They had a blast! You really can not beat Tulemars private beach. This was the common meeting place for majority of group everyday. It is paradise! We utilized kayaks and boogie boards a lot! The staff on beach is very eager to please guests- from lining up chairs and umbrellas each day for our group to bringing drinks over when we were having too much fun to notice they were ready! The beach bar is great - drinks as awesome as I remembered from last visit - and spider monkeys visited bar everyday! There are 4 pools on property and all have great views. Family pool has bar for drinks and food. Always good! Beach bar has breakfast - should do once during stay- soo relaxing drinking coffee staring at beautiful beach!
The staff was great! Dave was always willing to talk to me when I called prior to arrival to answer any questions I had. Also told me to have my guests call and ask for him to help answer any questions. The online chat on 4tulemar.com is great and give immediate feedback. That website is very informative for all services offered and different housing options on property. I stayed in 3 bedroom bungalow which was insane! Definitely suggest this for 3 couples or 6-7 people who can share rooms. Stunning views and visit from monkeys every day on terrace! They love lounging by hot tub! White faced and squirrel visited us! Also saw two sloths on property! Julien was our concierge who helped me months before visit with transport for guests and shopping and was such a huge help! Thank you again to all staff especially Dave and Julien!!!! The service we received was excellent! Also thank you to Jose-hope I got name right- who was bartender for our cocktail night by family pool. Made it awesome with special attention to all my guests!
Our parents stayed in the Panoramas and were very pleased. Bill their concierge was always willing to assist them if needed. In my opinion upper level Panoramas have best view I have ever seen! Stay in one of them if you want the most spectacular view on property all though from bungalow to villa all have great views! Casa Fruitas also is awesome- never stayed in but did walk through when stayed on property last year and is soo cool!
We needed transport for large group on one occasion that was not previously set up by wedding planner- Tropical Occasions and they were excellent!- and front desk set it up no problem. Shuttle service was used a lot by my guests and never a long wait. They will only take you as far as reception at front so make sure if you call for transport outside of property you specify to front desk you need cab as opposed to shuttle. Local market is an easy walk and ATM 5 minute walk from front gate.
We went to Mar Luna twice for dinner and was great as well as Raphael Terriza. Had rehearsal dinner at Ronny's Place and was awesome! A must do!
I am still in Costa Rica so don't want to be on computer all day or would keep writing! I think Tulemar is #1 place to stay in Manuel Antonio! Thanks for making my wedding so wonderful!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hi Kathy......thanks for the wonderful review on Tulemar......we loved having you back with us again.....with your family and friends......for your wedding......we're so glad everyone enjoyed themselves......what a fun group......and active!!......from the zip lines to the cocktail parties to the nightly dinners......and the WEDDING.....you kept busy......but time for relaxation at the beach too......thanks for the kind words on Julien....your personal concierge......and it was great that you got to experience so many of our accommodations.....from the Buena Vista 3 Bedroom Premium Villa that you stayed in....to Casa Panorama.....Casa de Frutas.....and the Bungalows.......thanks for your comments also about our web site.....(and all the different pages, from weather to transportation to activities).......and the "on line chat" feature.....instant answers to your questions......congratulations to you and Joe and we hope to see you back with us again!

King's Lynn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We loved the beach! Even the photographs on the website don't do it justice. Tropical forest meets crescent of sand and the warmest sea I've ever swum in. Always some shade for those of us who need it. Very clean, safe to swim which is great for this coast. Not really a place to snorkel, but the free kayaks were brilliant: a lot of fun. As were the chairs and towels, and pay-at-the-end beach cafe. We thought the lunches were very good (not cheap, but this place isn't) and the strawberry smoothie was well worth the walk! I'm just thinking about us relaxing over lunch while watching a troop of capuchin monkeys scampering over the ropes of the cafe awning. Bliss.
We stayed in Nido de Gansos. Wow. Cool, spacious, immaculate, spotlessly maintained. Oh, the pool! The first day we were there, we watched a female three-toed sloth with baby climbing slowly along the cecropia tree right next to our balcony. Black vultures and a few magnificent frigate birds wheeling above the trees by the ocean. Cherrie's tanager posing in trees below. Rufous-tailed hummingbird in porterweed from the loo window. Amazing we even made it down the trails, so much to see.
Management and concierge service supremely efficient, a little overwhelming, not sure that we met expectations. Bill, our concierge, was immensely helpful, laid-back and lovely.
We travelled a long way for a relatively short time, and we all felt we'd found the very best place to be in Manuel Antonio/Quepos. Thank you, all the team: it was a great holiday.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hi Sarah......thanks for posting the review on your stay in Nido de Gansos.....one of our private villas in Tulemar.......3 bedrooms / 3.5 baths / 3 levels....with a private pool......and ocean views......plus lots of wildlife visits too......and Diego/Bill as your personal concierge team....a great choice.........glad to hear you also enjoyed our Tulemar Beach......a perfect description......you did travel a long distance to stay with us (UK) and we're so pleased that you enjoyed your stay....hope to see you back with us again!

Tulemar Dave.
SLC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We returned from Tulemar, with discussions as to when we could return again. We stayed at Tulemar for 5 nights in a Bungalow. Our conceirge, Chris was attentive and anticiaped our needs. Chris took the stress out of planning tours, and organized everything! Chris suggested some truly memorable tours from the sailboat cruise at sunset, Mangrove tour at night, and horseback riding through the rainforest to a magnificant waterfall. The Bungalow was in the perfect setting, and truly felt like a grown up treehouse. We felt like we had discovered paradise when we first arrived to Tuelmar, and that experience lasted the full week. Everyone was extremely attentive, friendly, and helpful. The Bungalow was better than we anticipated with windows surrounding us. The monkeys would come up to the window. I have to say, the Private beach was amazing! There was no need to go to a pool, or to a public beach. The private beach had everything we could ask for: kyaks, snorkeling gear, boogie boarding, a cafe and bar! Tulemar is also within walking distance to several local restuarants, and bars.

Room Tip: We stayed in Bunaglow 121! It was private, quiet and wonderful! I would venture to say any place at...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
HI Girls.....thanks for the great review on your stay in our Tulemar Bungalows......we loved having you with us......Chris said you were a lot of fun.....the Bungalows are a lot like a "tree house for grown ups".....a good description......glass all around.....wonderful ocean views too.....plus the wildlife....plus the Tulemar Beach.....all combined for a terrific stay.....and Chris to make things easy......we're already looking forward to your return as well.

South Bend, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

First of all I would like to say that it pains me not to give Tulemar 5 stars because we absolutely loved everything about it from the beach to the rooms to the people, with one major exception. Our personal concierge, Kimberly, from the minute she walked up to us, shamelessly flirted with my husband in front of me while ignoring me all together! She was so blatantly disrespectful with her comments and advances toward him that I was left speechless and angry. The worst part was, I felt like I couldn't say anything to her because she was our driver, tour guide, and overseer of our trip in an unfamiliar country. I was so upset the first day that we were forced to ride around with her while she pointed out gentleman's clubs to my husband, continually complimented his physique, and tactlessly followed him around, all the while being completely callous to me, that we cut the tour short and told her we'd find our way around by ourselves. I couldn't even sleep that night because all I could think about was how distasteful and offensive her actions were, and I have no doubt she knew exactly how she was acting! Needless to say, losing sleep over someone you have to interact with on a daily basis is not what I had in mind on a tropical vacation! My husband and I have traveled all over the world, and I can honestly say nothing has ever been as unpleasant as Kimberly's scandalous behavior.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
HI JM19M......I am so sad to think that your stay in Tulemar was marred by your feelings toward your concierge......I could have easily intervened had I known.....I'm sure we met at check in....(I meet almost everyone who books with me).....my desk is right up front with a big "Tulemar Dave" sign......I would have been happy to make a switch for you......we don't want any of our guests to feel uncomfortable.....Kim is a mature woman and has been in the hospitality industry here for over 20 years......as you can see by the many reviews below our guests love her.....I know she will reflect on your visit to see what went wrong.....the last thing Kim wants are unhappy guests as well......that said.....I'm glad you did enjoy the other aspects of your stay......Casa Panorama.....our beach....the wildlife and the overall service.......we hope you'll stay with us again.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

But we didn't expect that the service would be so amazing which truly made the trip a delight! We spent four nights in a Buena Vista Bungelow and thoroughly enjoyed the lush landscape, view, pools, and beach. The bungelow was very comfortable for 4 of us and we expecially loved the sounds of the creatures in the mornings. The person we got to know best was ORLANDO who took such good care of us that he has inspired me to take better care of my own customers. He could lead customer service training in fact ! I say this because he double and triple checked our tours for us, stopped by our bungelow at least once per day just to check in and when we walked with him, was also very familiar with the local flora and fauna and so served as our tour guide as well. Several nearby restaurants were outstanding including Cafe Milagro and Sanchez's Taqueria. Excellent food - reasonable prices, friendly service.

Room Tip: Our Bungelow was adjacent to the quite pool which was a wonderful location but we would have preferr...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Hi Karen M....I loved reading your review about Tulemar, the Tulemar Bungalow in which you stayed and especially Orlando, your personal concierge.....he really does care about his guests and can make the trip so easy for you......helping with all of the details......thanks for mentioning the restaurants outside of Tulemar.....there are more than 10 within two blocks of our front gates.......plus 2 ATM's and a grocery store.....all within walking distance......thanks again for taking the time to post your review and we hope to see you back with us again!

Tulemar Dave

Been to Tulemar Bungalows & Villas? Share your experiences!