“Fantastic, friendly and amazing views!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tulemar Bungalows & Villas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manuel Antonio National Park
Tulemar Bungalows & Villas
You added Tulemar Bungalows & Villas to your Saves list
Tulemar Gardens, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Tulemar Mini Suites-$220!
“Fantastic, friendly and amazing views!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

This place is fantastic! From the moment we arrived to our last day we were completely at ease. The staff is friendly. Bill is just out of this world! He makes sure you are 100% happy and taken care of. The views here at all times of day are breath taking. The private beach is really nice, we saw 3 sloths hanging out there. The rooms themselves were well taken care of and extremely comfortable, our outdoor grill came in handy one evening. This place is in the jungle yet you feel very safe.
Can't wait to come back! And next time we will get Bill to come surf with us!!

Best Regards,

Tanya & Roman

• Stayed November 2012
TulemarDave, Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Hi Tanya and Roman.....thanks for your review on Casa Panorama, Tulemar and Bill, your personal concierge.....we love him too......he really does take great care of his guests.......and know you know the reason it's called Casa Panorama.....the ocean views are Panoramic.......glad you enjoyed our beach and the wildlife too......usually a sloth or a bunch of monkeys hanging around......I know Bill would love to go surfing with you sometime......just give him a little notice......hope to see you back with us again soon!

Tulemar Dave

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Folsom, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We just returned from our first family vacation to Costa Rica. Tulemar Bungalows and Villas was the most stunning place I have ever stayed. We stayed in Bungalow 119 which had a bedroom and living quarters on the top floor and a separate room with two beds below which was perfect for our 21 and 18 year old daughters. The views from our balcony were spectacular and I'm sure that every bungalow has similar views. Our balcony overlooked the tree tops which made you feel like you were in the middle of a rain forest (which you are) and this gives you prime viewing opportunities for the monkeys that frequent the area.

The grounds are very quiet and peaceful but are within close walking distance to a local store and restaurants. The private beach is very private with great views. There is a beach attendant that caters to your needs by getting lounge chairs, setting up umbrellas, providing towels and making kayaks and boogie boards available at your leisure. There is also a bar open from 10am to 5pm if you want to indulge.

The grounds are on a steep hill so walking provides exercise but you can call for a ride at anytime if you would rather not walk. There are four pools on the facility with stunning views. Two of them were vanishing pools which just added to the beauty and experience.

The services was great. The staff went above and beyond to make sure our stay was perfect. All of them spoke English and made us feel very welcome.

A few tips: #1) Take a good flashlight. We went out each night and searched for Sloths in the trees and we found them every night by shining the flashlight through the trees. Also, a flashlight is a good thing to have at night for walking because some areas are not lit up that well. #2) The bungalows have full kitchens with refrigerators. If you plan to make meals or just stock your frig with beers or wine, make a stop either in Quepos or one of the small towns on the drive to Manuel Antonio because it will be much less expensive. The local store was very pricy and you couldn't get six packs of beer other than Corona and Imperial. They did have a nice wine and liquor selection but the prices were high. #3) I highly recommend ADR Adventures if you want to do an outing. This is a combo Zip Line, repelling, hiking, rain forest tour. Very adventurous but safe. The entire family loved it and the scenery was unbelievable. Unlike anything I had ever done before.

What Tulemar is not: This is not like a Hawaii resort with restaurants everywhere, a central pool with lots of people, music playing and a lot action going on at night. It is very quiet and peaceful, which we enjoyed. There are also no sit down restaurants on the facility. Foods is prepared and delivered to you pool side or to your rooms.

In summary, my family thought Tulemar Bungalows rocked! Even though the costs were at the upper end of the hotel options, it was well worth it.

Room Tip: You cannot go wrong with any bungalow offered. All of the views are spectacular. Location is the o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Hi Michael H......we're so glad that you enjoyed your stay in our newly redesigned Casa de Las Flores in Tulemar......it's fast becoming one of our most popular villas.....the large balcony and views are amazing.......we appreciate all of the hints and advice that you gave......that really helps when people are searching for the right place to stay......and your description of our resort is right on.....we are not an Hawaiian or Mexico style resort with music, nightclubs, and a million people......we're a quiet, nature resort......with lots of wildlife, ocean views and a great beach.......thanks again for staying with us and we hope to see you back again!

Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Tulemar is definitely a little piece of heaven, and I almost don’t know where to start!!
We have travelled extensively including to Australia, but I can honestly say this is my favorite place out of them all!! Before arriving in Tulemar, I was already checking into our fall vacation next year which I was thinking about going back to Turks and Caicos. Well after this absolutely wonderful vacation in Tulemar, at this point, I don’t want to go anywhere except back to Tulemar!!

We stayed in Casa Las Nubas, and the moment we arrived we knew we had picked the perfect accommodations!! Before even arriving, Howard, the owner of Casa Las Nubas had spent a lot of time on the phone with us; filling us in on everything we needed to know. And we arrived this amazing house took our breath away!!

Diego our concierge was waiting with his friendly smile and a cool drink. After already talking at length with Diego and his wonderful wife Vanessa, organizing everything for our 11 day stay, I already felt comfortable with Diego. While we were there I got a pretty severe ear infection at 7:30 at night, Diego came to the rescue again!! I really didn’t want to bother him at that time of night so I called the hospital to see if I went there, if anyone could speak English since I couldn’t speak Spanish. Well to my dismay they couldn’t!! So I had no choice but to call Diego and he didn’t even hesitate. He said he was going to check to see if a really good doctor he knew was still in the office. He was and Diego came just to translate for me!! I really don’t know what I would have done, because I was in so much pain!! And by the end of our stay, we felt like their wonderful family were now our friends.

As far as Tulemar itself, I don’t think Howard could have picked a better spot to build his amazing house. The staff in the office at Tulemar do everything in their power to make sure you pick the best accommodations to suit your needs. Never once did I feel pressured to pick a certain villa. Del Mar listened to what I was looking for and did everything in his power to see that I got exactly what I was looking for. Our children had decided to plan out our whole day for our 22nd Wedding Anniversary, as a gift and I know my son Cole must have driven poor Del Mar nuts, because he wanted to make sure every detail was perfect. But never once did Del Mar make him feel like he was bothering him too much!! Del Mar even stayed at work long after he should have gone home to get the house ready for our arrival back in the evening. There were roses and candles everywhere!!! Thanks again Del Mar!!!

The beach at Tulemar is one of the best assets that Tulemar has. The water was like swimming in your bath tub and the boogie boards made it even more enjoyable!!! It was so nice arriving at the beach and having everything done for you!! They asked you how many loungers you wanted, if you wanted umbrellas for shade and also brought you clean towels. There was also a bar that served drinks and food. What more could you ask for?

Now stop wasting your time reading more about Tulemar on Tripadvisor!!! Just pick up the phone and make your reservation at Tulemar, because it will be the best decision you’ve made!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Hi Teresa......wow....what a great review on your stay in Casa Las Nubes.....one of our premier private villas in Tulemar....we loved having you and your family with us......and assisting Cole with your anniversary celebration was a pleasure......Del Mar enjoyed arranging everything from the spa services....to the musician...to the private chef.....to the flowers and candles throughout the house.....we appreciate your comments on Diego/Vanessa as well.....at Tulemar (besides the amazing villas and beach) our SERVICE is what it's all about......from the little things like arranging your tours and meals to the little emergencies......your personal concierge can make it easy......thanks again for staying with us and I look forward to arranging your next stay at Casa Las Nubes as well.....just give me a call!

Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We spent 4 nights at your most excellent vacation spot in early November, 2012. Not only did we experience incredible sunsets, but we also experienced incredible fireworks in the form of lightning that lit up the sky for miles around! Loved the van rides up and down the hill, breakfast at the beach each morning, the sloth in the tree at the beach, the pina coladas at the beach while the rain pored down, the incredible birds flitting about our villa each morning, the very friendly and helpful staff, our own private pool (nobody else was there when we were in residence), the list goes on! It was a very relaxing end to 3 weeks of hiking and birding across Costa Rica and one that we will highly recommend to our friends. Coming in the shoulder season has its advantages. The staff are very devoted to ensuring you have an exceptional stay and you certainly get their undivided attention! But it does rain a fair amount ... but it is a warm rain, so one cannot complain! We had the unexpected experience of the air conditioning unit leaking on our heads and soaking the bed during the night. The staff moved us up to another unit, and gifted us a bottle of wine and some treats for our troubles. We cannot say enough good things about our stay at Buena Vista Villas except that we hope to return again some time soon!

Room Tip: Being at the bottom of the hill makes beach access easier. But, there is always the van ride back up...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
HI Jill....thanks for your kind words about your stay in our of Tulemar Bungalows and the Tulemar Resort.....we're so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us.......(I also enjoy having breakfast at our beach......nothing like sitting under the palms.....feet in the sand.....the waves breaking.......the sounds of the jungle.....and Chef Paul's famous stuffed French Toast or one of his omelettes.....and Daniella makes a great Pina Colada too!).......people often worry about coming down in Sept/Oct/Nov.......but it can be a great time.....just as you explained.....the warm tropical rains in the late afternoons and the amazing lightning storms over the ocean at night just add to the experience.....we're so sorry about the leaky AC......I'm glad you were so nice about it.......those things just happen sometimes......we'd love to see you back with us again.....thanks for booking with me.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

My best vacation ever! Casa de Frutas is open air on one side with the most breathtaking view of the ocean. It is so serene and inviting which made it difficult to want to leave and go do any day trips. The infinity pool is beautiful and we loved lounging around on the huge, cushioned seating area next to the pool. The private beach nearby is just gorgeous and we had a wonderful dinner prepared there for 12 of us one evening at sunset by chef Paul. Our meal was fantastic and you couldn't beat the ambiance. Each day, especially in the mornings, we saw tons of white-faced and squirrel monkeys. Also saw our share of sloths and beautiful birds--including a toucan. This place is truly magical! I came home feeling so rested...
I so highly recommend anyone to visit here. You can contact Cindy at the website www.2tulemar.com for bookings. She's wonderful! Very knowledgable and quick to respond with any inquiries you may have. Plus you can see photos and a video of Casa de Frutas and other rental vacation homes in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
TulemarDave, Owner at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
We loved having you and your friends at Casa de Frutas.....one of our premier villas in Tulemar......with 3 suites, it's perfect for 2-8 guests.......amazing ocean views......private pool......tropical luxury at its best......and with the services of Mauricio......your personal concierge.....thanks for booking with me and we hope to see you again.

Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

My husband and I visited Tulemar Bungalow 111 at the beginning of Nov 2012. While we only stayed here 2 nights, it was the highlight of the trip! Even a 5 hour evening downpour didn't dampen our spirits. The specific bungalow we were in was a little dated, but everything worked well and the view was unbeatable! 360 degree views! Also great was the service we received from our concierge, Chris. We was very informative and helpful with everything, even though we chose not to do any excursions. The staff go out of their way to make sure you are accomodated. Thank you! We hope to return with our extended family for a future trip!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Hi Jennistravel.....thanks for staying with us and for providing a review......we're so glad you enjoyed Tulemar and your Bungalow.......the Bungalows really are special.......views all the way around.....like a tree house in the jungle with a tropical, rustic design......(they look just like they do in our photos)......and you get the services of a personal concierge.....like Chris! We'd love to see you and your family back with us again!

Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I spent our 10 year anniversary in Costa Rica. It was our second trip to Costa Rica with the first being our honeymoon. We started our trip at Tulemar in Casa Panorama South (lower). The stay was excellent and I only wish we had been able to stay longer. As other reviewers have stated, the pictures on their website do not do Tulemar (Casa Panorama) justice. Before arriving, we had some reservations about there not being an on premise restaurant / bar, but our concerns were quickly dispelled once we met our concierge, Kimberly. She explained how several restaurants were within walking distance from the front gate in addition to a local grocery. Kimberly also helped arrange all of our transportation around Costa Rica (from San Jose to Tulemar, Tulemar to Arenal, and Arenal to San Jose) at prices much cheaper than our other resorts had quoted. After accidentally leaving some items in the night stand, she arranged to have the items waiting for us with one of our drivers. Back to Tulemar...the onsite shuttle van was invaluable. My wife broke her foot 3 weeks prior to our trip. The path to and from the beach and the front gate is quite steep and I know she wouldn't have lasted long without the van. And the beach, you can't say enough about having a private beach where you can leave your belongs on your chair and go swimming, kayaking, boogie boarding, etc. and not have to worry about anything getting stolen. We loved our trip to Tulemar so much we're already planning when we can get back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Hi BartV......we're so glad that you enjoyed your stay in Casa Panorama......now you know why the name.....the views are panoramic.......sitting on the balcony with a cold drink watching the ocean, skies and wildlife around you.....perfection.....and Kim, your personal concierge at Casa Panorama, makes it all even better (and easier).......plus our beach (amazing), the resort pools, the hiking trails and our location, right in the heart of Manuel Antonio, makes Tulemar a great choice for your stay......hope you didn't miss our beach bar and grill......breakfast, lunch, drinks and snacks daily until 5 PM.....then there are 10 restaurants within a 2 block radius of our front gates for dinner choices! We'll be ready for your return!

Tulemar Dave

Been to Tulemar Bungalows & Villas? Share your experiences!