“Good if youre on a budget.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Las Tres Banderas

Save Saved
You added Hotel Las Tres Banderas to your Saves list
Hotel Las Tres Banderas
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Manuel Antonio, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
“Good if youre on a budget.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

So heres the skinny on this hotel. It is fitting to the area as i later found out. My first impression wasnt the best, but the place grew on me. Its where you meet the cook who also cleans and the owner who also checks you in. The staff is simply very nice. I learned to like it. I wilk tell you that you have veey little privacy and can hear everything. If yi ure in town for 3 days and are not an ammenities kind of person its perfect, but if a D&G girl you will hate it. Lol! I also have to mention the food is really great. I mean goes against the best italian food ive been to in NY.

• Stayed December 2012

146 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Fort Lauderdale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

i have been coming here for 8 years.Its a great value.Its not the Ritz.It is the jungle.I have seen sloths,More monkeys than you can shake a stick at.The wild noises coming from the jungle....the rain on the roof its a cool place with the Social club meeting there on Sundays....Its reasonable.I stay on the average 4 to 5 times a year there for a week at a time.

Room Tip: Get the suite....First floor on the end.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Well we arrived here and my first thoughts were, "uh,oh". The room as we walked in was in the middle of being cleaned. The doors were all wide open and being aired out so I could see them all. They all seemed small, a bed, a vanity outside the bathroom, and a charming little balcony with a couple chairs on it. I decided that I was over reacting, and that it was cute and quaint and I had high expectations, and talked my way through it.

We unpacked settled in and as I always do I checked the bed. The sheets were ancient and threadbare, the pillow had a blood stain on it that looked new enough I wasn't sure the sheets had been cleaned at all. The ancient coverlet on the bed (most hotels dont clean the top one more than 2-4 times a year fyi) was faded and had my suspicions up as to how long it had been since a wash. The room looked tidy, but it was dirty.

I decided I was still being a wimp. There were some bugs in the room (its the jungle just outside and all around you, so its understandable why they are there.) I went to go have a shower, grabbed the knob for the water and my hand slid off it, it was grungy from not being cleaned properly and supposibly the room had just been cleaned. To add to my shower experience, there was no hot water, no warm water, just cold water.

The pool was also an experience, when they have the little waterfall going and the jets which crinkle to pools surface so you cant fully see through the water like glass, it looks pretty. The pool has a lot of tiles coming off and laying on the bottom. Some are broken and could cut your feet.

The next morning was the included breakfast. It included fresh fruit, and cheese, toast, coffee, and eggs. Breakfast was lovely and was included in out stay which seems common for the area. However there were also little things such as the cockroaches and unclean walls of the place that made us call the company we booked through for three nights and get refunded for 2 and book elsewhere for our trip as we were paying 80 dollars a night for this place. It was far from the beach and everything that was going on to boot, meaning rental car or the bus (bus service is pretty good and only costs .50 cents for a bus ride fyi.)

All in all I wouldn't go back, I wouldn't recommend it. It needs a through cleaning and maintenance.

I have pictures but they are currently still on my camera and if I can add them later I will.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Missoula, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Hotel Las Tres Banderas at first glace is very Costa Rica with a touch of Europe (which makes perfect sense when you meet the owner) The room while small was very clean and had more amenities than the other hotels; air conditioner, safe, full bathroom, tv, nightstand, and an area to hang clothes. The sheets in no way seemed old to me and I found the bed to be comfortable. The breakfast was the best (free) breakfast we had on our trip. You actually watch the ladies crack the eggs and can get them any way you want. You make your own toast (one reviewer mentioned that it seemed to be old- no way) the jam is fabulous!, coffee was very good and the fruit was very fresh. The staff was excellent, the same ladies that make the breakfast also clean the rooms and are very friendly (we didn't even use the safe because there was no threat of getting our belongings stolen) Andy was super helpful when we asked about getting to the beach, which was super easy by bus for about 50 cents. The bus goes between Manuel Antonio and Quepos both towns are very neat and i liked being able to go to both easily by bus. This was the only hotel on our entire stay in Costa Rica where we met and chatted with the staff and other travelers. Andy and his family work every part of the hotel and are super helpful, even cutting off some of their Aloe plant to help treat my sunburn. The bar/restaurant area is very welcoming and the clientele staying at Tres Banderas is exactly who I want to be surrounded by, we ended up eating out one night with 3 other guests! On our first night we walked along the road checking out restaurants and found them all to be VERY expensive ($20-$30 per entree) so we went back to the hotel and ate there and it was AMAZING!! It was the best meal we had in Manuel Antonio hands down, and very reasonable! Try the Shrimp in tequila sauce over pasta- delicious! The pool is the perfect temperature; we spend most of the day at the beach but the sun and saltwater gets to be a lot so sitting by the pool and taking a cool dip was perfect. We also got a show by a handful of lizards and some very funny birds. If you are looking for 5 Star you are going to pay for it in Manuel Antonio, but if you are looking for a good place to stay where you feel safe, can make a few friends, have a great meal and be close to it all while still feeling like you are sleeping in the rainforest this is the place!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

This place was recommended to me by someone who hadn't been there in awhile apparently. The owner is gross and the hotel is in need of repair. My room smelled like mildew and had fleas. I asked if they could spray something and the owners' son who hangs out there all the time gave me a can of bug spray. I agree with the reveiwer on Dec 12. If they put some money into the hotel) it could be decent. I think it's good for backpackers that want to hang out and drink but not your average tourist.

Room Tip: just don't
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
North Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

We heard the owner complain that he was loosing money in the hotel. The price affixed on the sign outside was plastered over the original one and the price was down to $75 U.S. dollars a night in order to attract customers.
The rooms are smelly (I think it is from insecticide), the beds lumpy, the pillows as lumpy, my sheets were stained, there were ants in the room and my companion when he went to sleep, looked up at the ceiling and saw a large cockroach promenading there. The cockroach was killed. There is no closet in the room (see the pictures) and the room is not that big. Moreover, there was no hot water in the shower either, just lukewarm, almost cold and only a trickle...
The breakfast was very poor and limited as I think the owner is trying to save money.
The location is right 7 kilometers from the beach and equally 7 kilometers from the town of Quepos. Therefore, you either must have a car or use the bus which comes every half hour.
Three people in our group who alread had pre-paid for two nights at the hotel including the breakfast decided they could not stay there even for one night and proceeded to book another hotel at the beach, right at the end of the line for the bus and paid only $65 U.S. per night plus the cost of the breakfast and said that it was a wise decision.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Palm Bch, Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I booked a few nights at Tres Banderas to get out of San Jose and must say, I was very pleasantly surprised by the accomodations (very nice), the owner Andy, his nephew Derrick, both Poles from the old country, and the rest of the crew. Clean rooms, great A/C, huge pool, excellent free breakfast, dynamite menu for lunch and dinner plus a great layed back atmosphere amongst the lush jungle flora and fauna. Set back well off the main road to the park, you will experience no road noise or disturbance, quiet, peaceful lodging conveniently located about midway between Quepos and the park, bus stop is handy if you prefer and frankly, if you didn't want to leave the property, you could dine, drink and get entertained all right outside your door! The ladies make a great breakfast, either gallo pinto o great big fluffy pancakes, coffee, fresh fruit, juice, toast and marmalade, all gratis as long as you eat before 9:30 or so... The Pierogis are superb, bar is well stocked and Andy and Derrick are always willing to have a drink and conversation, great fellows indeed. I'll be back to the 3 flags, it really is unique for the area and should not be missed.

Room Tip: My first floor room off the pool was quiet, clean and cool, I imagine they are all similar.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Las Tres Banderas? Share your experiences!