“If you want luxury, here it is” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Mariposa

Save Saved
You added Hotel La Mariposa to your Saves list
Hotel La Mariposa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Manuel Antonio Beach, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
Special Price
25% off room rate
Geneva, Switzerland
“If you want luxury, here it is”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I chose this resort to spoil myself with the views. Which were simply stunning. Easily the best views of any hotel - about 270 degrees of coastal panorama, which can be enjoyed at the restaurant or any of the four invisibility pools.

I even managed to get a reduced green season rate for what I considered the best value room (see room tip). If money is no issue, go for it. But I was kind of regretting the splurge at the end of it - you can always just come to enjoy a cocktail or meal at the restaurant and save money by staying elsewhere (as a few other couples were doing).

The buffet was fine for me - fresh fruit, fresh juices, some hot options, some yogurts - a bit of everything. Nothing fancy, but enough variety to satisfy everyone's tummy I would think. I was a bit disappointed that there was no buffet on my last day, presumably because there were so few guests. But the limited menu that they provide instead left me wanting.

Service was good. Byron at the front desk was an all star, while I didn't really deal much with any of the other staff. But always greetings and smiles, so no complaints there.

I did the Manuel Antonio NP tour and was pleased. The guide was great, though I did feel that I needed to be more proactive in asking questions in order to get information out of him - but he was certainly a wealth of knowledge (I think his name was Roy). Also, I was disappointed because no water was offered, as indicated, and I had taken that into account. I had to end up asking people on the beach if I could buy water from them later in the day. I mentioned it to reception and was met with a shrug.

I was also a bit surprised to encounter a healthy-sized cockroach in my room, given that they generally stay in lower/damper areas. Anyway, it caused no trouble but thought I would mention it.

But regardless of these minor issues, the hotel itself is a very romantic and luxurious spot.

Room Tip: The corner room on the second floor in the main building (#31) is the best for views. There is a lot...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Monterrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The Mariposa Hotel is a wonderful mountaintop oldstyle hotel. Fabulous views with monkeys likely to bound across your patio or play in the trees surroumding the hotel. The two outside bars have great service, pools are infinity style( one is adults only next to the top bar), and birds and other wildlife compete to steal the drink condiments! Grest food is offered as well. Rooms are nice, not real fancy , but who needs that in this paradise of a place? The restaurant staff is friendly and helpful and so is the front desk. The guys helping with luggsge have a strenous job, going up 3 fligjts of stairs with coolers and baby stuff; but they do it with a smile. What a great place! Go!!!

Room Tip: Try for ocean view. You can see the park. The howler monkeys will wake you at 5am!
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Hempstead, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Mountaintop majestic views from most rooms. This hotel is very friendly, very comfortable, not pretentious, and reasonably priced in comparison to the expensive competitors in the area. {BTW, the hotel-arranged transport from the airport is a lump price shared by all of the riders at the time, so more is less unless you are alone.} The restaurant is pricey but only in comparison to bargain restaurants of which there are few in the area (certainly worth dining there if you want what they have to offer -- view, view, view, & relaxed quality, but Resin chairs because the restaurant is Always Outdoors.) 4 pools -- 2 fun pools w/bar, 1 warm pool, 1 Long pool more than lap-able. No elevators, no ramps -- staircases with Views, This Is A Mountaintop, walk to many restaurants, shops, Bank, grocery, pharmacy, and The Ocean if you choose; they have a shuttle bus. They will recommend excellent excursions and help you find whatever you want. Outside the hotel, "on the property," is a great, low-priced, high quality restaurant called Fred's Place. Our group ate there 4 meals out of our week to try out almost the entire menu. 2 thumbs up for all of the above.

Room Tip: Each room is slightly different -- the shower stalls, some w/bathtub, the bathroom size and style...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We, 2 couples, stayed in the Mariposa for two days the beginning of August.
We think this is a wonderful hotel with a friendly and helpful staff. The rooms are clean and spacious and the room service was very good. We detected no smell of mold or any other unpleasant odor and we checked several rooms.
The food was good, so were the drinks and prices were reasonable.
No doubt, we will be back.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the cabians
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My family and I stayed at La Mariposa about 10 days ago. It was a long ride from Monteverde to Manuel Antonio (about 6 hours) and we just wanted to check in and get to our room. We had booked the full ocean view room. When we got to our room............wow. First off, the room was the size of 2 hotel rooms with an archway in between. Then the balcony....huge (although we shared with the room next door), but OMG what a view! Everywhere you looked, you saw the Pacific Ocean. Perfect sunset viewing too! Air conditioning worked fantastic and we had wi-fi in our room. Breakfast was included. Great selection of food and quite tasty! We did eat twice in the hotel restaurant. Food and service was very good. Only complaint, my daughter is a vegetarian and not a lot for her, especially lunch menu. For dinner, she did order a pasta primavera dish and the french onion soup was really, really good, as was the chocolate lava cake. Staff was friendly and helpful. There are a couple of shops and restaurants within walking distance. The beach was only a few minutes away by taxi or hotel shuttle. This was the most expensive hotel out of the 4 we stayed at, but the view was worth it.

Room Tip: Ocean view!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

OK - the location and view won us over. Service was excellent - note that these are offseason comments. The front desk was invaluable in suggesting and booking our tours.

Included breakfasts were quite good. Drinks pool side a treat and excellent outdoor facilities.

Internet in the room!!

Tremendous location for walking to great restaurants and the butterfly garden.

We had double oceanview rooms which were not in the hotel proper - great privacy and views.

Everything was clean. Rooms need some tender care - cracked tiles in bathroom, old curtains, old jacuzzi on balcony, and just an outdated feel.

However, this is a great place.

Room Tip: Ocean view!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Hutto, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed for five days in mid august. I was a little worried planning a trip to a country we have never visited before and after reading tons of great review about this place I decided to book our stay at la mariposa. The staff at this place is amazing! Very helpful even before trip. I emailed with tons of questions about our private transportation from airport and tours I was interested in. They never made me feel like I was bothering them. They even gave me recommendations for restaurants in the area. When we arrived at this beautiful hotel we were greeted and shown around and given welcome drinks at the pool bar. The room we had was amazing! Beautiful view of the ocean. It's a bit pricey but so worth it! Such a romantic feel to it and had a comfy couch right in front of the glass doors so we watched the rain at night while we talked about our amazing day we just had. The breakfast buffet was so delicious and so much to choose from. No need to waste money at the restaurants in the area because the food is delicious. We booked all our activities through the hotel. They work with safe companies they recommend. They arrange everything for you so that you have no worries. We did have one issue with our rafting tour they booked some how got overlooked and we did not get picked up. After we told the guys at front desk we were still waiting for rafting company they were super helpful. They called and found out what happened and were going to arrange for a taxi to take us but we decided we would just cancel and do something else. The guys at front desk called and arranged for a private tour of national park and set up parasailing for after tour. I felt like they really cared about us having a great time and were safe. The whole staff from front desk to waiters everyone was welcoming and nice. The hotel restaurant has great food with beautiful view. There are restaurants within walking distant that are great too. This is a really long review but I just don't want to leave anything out about this amazing place. We can't wait to go back! Thanks again to everyone at la mariposa for making our first time in Costa Rica the best trip ever!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel La Mariposa? Share your experiences!