“Oustanding customer service and beautiful property” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Mariposa

Save Saved
You added Hotel La Mariposa to your Saves list
Hotel La Mariposa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Manuel Antonio Beach, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
Bakersfield, California
“Oustanding customer service and beautiful property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I was an early check-in on October 19th and Rebecca was there to greet my party and accomodate an early check-in. I must say from the time I stepped foot onto the hotel grounds I felt like family. Rebecca (guest services agent/front desk associate) made us feel right at home. Upon check-in we were greeted by another employee who welcomed my party and I will yummy blended drinks to kickstart our vacation. The drink set the tone for the rest of the week.

Not knowing what we wanted to do, Rebecca told us not to worry because she helped us plan events each day we were there, recommended fabulous places to eat, and even went above and beyond to help me get a cake for my mom's birthday celebration on the 21st. Not only did Rebecca help me get a cake but she had it delievered to the restaurant we were meeting at for dinner and the cake was delicious.

The rooms were wonderful. We had rooms 21 and 22, the view was amazing. When the locals say La Mariposa has the best view- well you better believe it because we did. La Mariposa is close to several restaurants in walking distance and a bus stop right at the corner of the street which takes you to Quepos or the Playa. I like to take local transportation and the bus system is great and definitely reliable.

The property itself was beautiful. Flowerbeds were well manicured, lush greens and beautiful flowers. AMAZING!

Everyone was so helpful, nice to talk with and very accomodating. My mom was up early every morning and talked to everyone from the security guard to the maintenance and housekeeping staff. Everyone was wonderful and beyond helpful. NO COMPLAINTS WHAT SO EVER!
I work in the hospitality industry and stay a many hotels through the US, Europe, and Canada and I must say this was the best customer service ever...

I will be back and will definintely choose La Mariposa Hotel as my choice property when traveling to costa rica. Highly recommended!!

Room Tip: Anyroom at this property will not disappoint.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

771 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I recently stayed at the La Mariposa hotel with a group of friends and had an amazing time. The location is breath taking with an almost 360 degree view. The staff were all very attentive and helpful. Rebecca from the front office was amazingly helpful, caring and went out of her way to make the stay excellent.

Room Tip: Definitely book the premium room, my room was one of the older partial sea view rooms, which was sti...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
eldon mo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Stunning views, loved the naturleness of this place, lots of flowers and well manicured. Rebecca at the front desk was great, she showed us 3 rooms, all w beautiful views. We went w room 13. Very good value on the off season which included breakfast. Elias is the best bartender ever, we had a margarita, pina colada, strawberry daiquiri, but my favorite was the mojito. i plan to stay here again, I would love for my daughter to have a wedding here.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

This place is beautiful. The greatest staff and most amazing views in Manuel Antonio. If you are going to stay in Manuel Antonio, this is the place to stay! When we arrived, we were pleasently surprised that the hotel offered shuttles to and from the beach, and included breakfast. We also had monkeys on our balcony almost every morning! Just be careful, they can be cranky little guys!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Walked in off the street and received a great rate on a full ocean view room. The best view and infinity pools in Manuel Antonio. Paid for a partial ocean view room discounted 30% and received a full ocean view room with private balcony Jacuzzi. Stayed 4 nights and had wonderful service; all the employees are friendly and went out of their way to accommodate our requests. Hearty traditional Costa Rican or American Breakfasts included in the price. They made special requests for omelettes and french toast that were not on the menu at no additional cost. Rooms and grounds were clean and very well maintained. You pay a premium for food and drinks, but they even provided a refrigerator upon request. Enthusiastically recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel with very nice staff. Had a great view to the ocean from our room! This place also got a great sunset balcony and a great swimming pool. Very high standards! We are highly recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2013
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had the best stay at the hotel. It is about 30 min from the airport - $8 fare p/p and perched on the top of the hill of Manuel Antonio. It is at the highest peak on the hill and the views are absolutely stunning.

I have stayed in other hotels on previous visits – Byblos and Costa Verde and Hotel Mariposa by far has the best views with a 180 degree view of the coastline.
On previous visits to MA I visited Mariposa just for the view at sunset. This was the first time was staying at La Mariposa, mentioned in the book 1,000 places to visit before you die.

It is centrally located on the hill walking distances to bars and restaurants (Barba Rojas, Falafel Bar, Café Agua Azul, and grocery store)

I love the infinity pool where you can stand in the pool on the edge and just take in the view, and then jump into a solar heated jacuzzi . (with neither of the other hotels has the jucuzzi)
None of the hotels in the area have heated pools – not even any of the private villas in the area. This is not America where everyone has a heated pool, hello? We visited in the rainy season and the pools cool but not too cold – and usually it is so hot and humid and they were at a refreshing temperature.

There is a swim up bar pool on the top that offers the best views at sunset.

The hotel staff was warm welcoming and helpful with any requests and needs and truly go out of their way to make sure you have a great experience. There was always staff attentive and often came by for drink orders at the pool.

The property is gated and very secure there are 24 hr guards that protect the entrance and the property. So theft is not an issue. Maids were very efficient cleaning when we were not in the room and did a great job cleaning. Rooms were always made up clean and fresh.

The stay included breakfast every morning was very good - with an option of granola and yogurt or traditional American breakfast – eggs bacon, toast, coffee, orange juice. That is a $25 (value in savings) breakfast for 2 people that is included. One day during breakfast we had a group of monkeys come by for a visit by the swim up bar pool.

Our visit was in the low season – so I asked to see some of the rooms, to figure out what I would like for my next visit. This may help you in deciding where to request your room.

The hotel has developed in various stages and offers a wide range of rooms, all offering something different. The main building has rooms that go high up with amazing views – that are large mostly with double beds. There is no elevator – so there are iron stairs leading up but if your healthy and able to climb stairs the rooms and views are well worth it. Room #40 is the corner best view room at the top, amazing.

In the other wing to the left of the entrance on ground floor (no stairs) there is rooms like (Room #49) has kitchenette. The other rooms in this area are nice and large with one king/queen bed and futon that can be used a bed and are good for families. The honeymoon suite is on top of this – with a big patio and also a private jucuzzi. We did not get to see the honeymoon suite since it was occupied.

Next to that is my favorite set of rooms. This would be rooms #8, #9, #10 that are set with spanish Gaudi mosaic lamps - interior and real character and WITH their own private mosaic outside jucuzzi and hammocks with breathtaking views. This will be my request for my next stay. These rooms have a living room with single or double queen beds.

We stayed in room #57 below the infinity pool. This is the newer section it was a modern room - private, quiet, and has amazing views. Included a mini fridge and coffee machine. Only one king bed and a couch facing an amazing balcony view.
You have to open and close doors or bugs and moths will come in. Many reviews complain about the bugs but it was not a big deal and I expected bugs and things after all your staying in the middle of a rain forest!!

Wifi was slow – but Mariposa informed my that they are expecting a upgrade once the provider brings cables over the hill expected in Jan 2013 bringing their speed from 2m to 10m. We could do the basics check email – and Facebook. If we needed really fast we would just walk to Barba Rojas or Agua Azul which had fast speed to upload pictures)

In my opinion it is the nicest hotel in the area. It has the best views – and would recommend for adults, and people traveling with older children. It is also family friendly but is not a great setup for large families of 4 or 5 people. I would recommend that you call and tell them what is important to you they will match a room with your request (i.e. view, or be in a ground floor, Jacuzzi in room, single or double beds etc.)

This way you will have the best experience, and a great way to spoil yourself if you visit just this area or if it is a stop to your next destination.

Room Tip: Room #40 Top Main Building 2 Queen Awesome View - Room $57 Ground Floor King Bed Modern and Great Vi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel La Mariposa? Share your experiences!