I am still here at the hotel. Writing from the pool on our final night of 10 in CR. this is by far my least favorite of the 3 hotels we stayed at.
What i like about La Mariposa:
- welcomed with a smile and a bottle of wine.
- great pool
What i dont:
- we arrived to a room full of moths, bugs and lizards. The bathroom window was wide open.
- while the pool is beautiful, it is small. If one loud couple shows up, or worse - a loud family with kids - there is nowhere to hide. Now, what bugs me most is that they allow people not staying at the hotel but using the restaurant to use the pool, and also people can pay $30 just to use the pool. This pool is WAY too small to do that. It feels crowded with only 10 people. We were enjoying the pool when a family of 8 came to the pool from outside, with day bags everywhere, loud kids, jumping in the pool, spashing, parents talking loudly on their phones and all of them looking to get their money's worth out of the pool and facilities. REALLY!? We had to leave. It was just not relaxing any more. Complained to front desk and they told me that other people are able to use the pool, but offered no solutions. Even today as i write, there is a couple next to us playing music out loud that we dont like from their ipad - nowhere to hide, and i dont want to be a jerk asking them to turn it off.
- restaurant was mixed. Got a few things that were good. But i also ordered a ribeye based on the hosts suggestion. Bad idea. Ordered it medium rare and they undertstood perfectly. Came out completely raw. As in - just raw! Sent it back, came back raw again (my wife has now completed her meal which was ok). 3rd time was cooked fine - but it was inedible. Like rubber. Really. I could not believe the chef would serve such a piece of meat. I am not picky, and have never sent back a steak for any reason - but this was just gross. We did not go back to the hotel restaurant after that for anything except breakfast which was ok. There are many good restaurants in the area.
- front desk was minumally helpful when it comes to advice regarding what to do in the area. Got the feeling they were pointing us to places where they earn referral commission. Who knows? But they only knew about a few tours in the area that they show you in a photocopied menu. They don't know about anything off their menu. Or at least they didn't for us.
- generally, nobody seemed to care much about the guest experience here. They listen to complaints, say sorry, and then just move on. Not even a free drink or dessert (not like i care, but the gesture would have been nice). It is what it is.
Or maybe we are just spoiled after spending the week prior in other parts of the country where the hotels were phenominal and the people were genuinely happy you were there. Lost Iguana was great in Arenal, and our stay at El Silencio in Bajos Del Toro was absolutely incredible in every possible way.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in one of the most magnificent settings in the world, Hotel La Mariposa stands majestically a top the highest point in Manuel Antonio and is best known for its award-winning 360 degree view overlooking the blue waters of the Pacific Ocean and the Manuel Antonio National Park, in Costa Rica. Nature and luxury flawlessly combine with 60 well-appointed rooms in a Spanish-Mediterranean architectural design and tropical gardens with walkways and trails meticulously landscaped to reflect the natural beauty of Costa Rica’s abundant plant and wildlife. Experience the stunning magic of the legendary Manuel Antonio sunsets while sipping a tropical cocktail at our “Sunset Bar and Lounge”, while dining in our world-class international restaurant “Le Papillon” With over 38 years experience, our personalized service and unforgettable views have made La Mariposa a top choice for the most discriminating travellers, who relish both its intimacy and magnificence. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Priceline and Venere so you can book your Hotel La Mariposa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Mariposa Hotel
- La Mariposa Costa Rica
- Hotel La Mariposa Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio National Park