“New Favorite Hotel in CR” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Mariposa

Save Saved
You added Hotel La Mariposa to your Saves list
Hotel La Mariposa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Manuel Antonio Beach, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
25% off room rate
Cincinnati, Ohio
“New Favorite Hotel in CR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Hotel La Mariposa is now officially our new favorite Hotel in MA. We had 2 rooms (rm 28 & 29) that had huge patios over the outdoor dining area. The views from the connecting patios was even better than the awesome views from the pool and breakfast areas.
There are a lot of very good places to eat very close by - some walking distance and some a short car trip. As others have noted, the drinks from the bar are very high priced, there are a ice machines around and I had my cooler full of cold drinks.
The gardens are well cared for and a big variety of jungle plants and lots of wildlife (monkeys, toucans, iguana, frogs, etc...).
We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

767 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel has the best views in Costa Rica (in my opinion) - they are like something out of a movie. When you're sitting in the hot tub looking over the infinity pool watching the sunset and there are white-faced monkeys running through the trees --you know you are on vacation. It's in a really good location too - close to restaurants and the beach. We had a fabulous big room with our own private balcony and hammock! The breakfast is also good with lots of choices. Dinner and drinks are $$$, however. The hotel has a bit of a party vibe (at least when we were there) which we enjoyed! We loved meeting other couples in the hot tub every night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I recently stayed at La Mariposa for a week, and cannot say enough about this incredible resort. The views are absolutely breath taking and the hotel itself is beautiful! The service is out of this world, and the staff is extremely accommodating and professional. We stayed in a garden view room which was nice, however next time would pay the extra for an ocean view. This hotel is definitely known for that, so take advantage any minute you can to enjoy it! The complimentary breakfast is very impressive, it was a great way to start the day! While the hotel restaurant itself was a little pricey, having a cocktail at sunset on the deck is a must. Manuel Antonio itself is a great little spot surrounded by many local restaurants in walking distance from the hotel. (About 5 minutes away) They are all delicious and it is easy to find a fun atmosphere! The beach is a 10 minute ride on the bus from the hotel, which is convenient because it comes every couple of minutes. This beach is a local beach, offering lots of activities from parasailing to surfing. Renting an umbrella and chair is key if you plan on being there for the day! The Manuel Antonio Park is a must see, however traveling with a guide your first time through is probably best. We went twice, mostly for the wild life and private beaches in the park, and the second time we went without a tour and didn't see half the animals we did the first time. The private beaches are gorgeous, however you can only get to them if you pay the park fee. It is worth it though..breath taking views as well as monkeys roaming the beach! This trip is a perfect mix of relaxation and adventure if you're looking for it. Stevan at the front desk is very helpful and recommended many places to zipline..we were very pleased with the recommended company. We also horsebacked on the beach with Diego Solis (506) 8834-8687 at Rancho Savegre. His horses were all healthy, very fit and well behaved. This was a 2 hour trip through the jungle and ended with a gallop on the beach. it was AMAZING. You cannot go wrong with this hotel or this area. Months after returning from La Mariposa, I still share pictures and stories of this beautiful hotel and all that Costa Rica has to offer. Clearly, I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Beds aren't overly comfortable, however everything else is very clean and nice. Rooms on the oc...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Heredia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We got one of the new rooms near the pool, ocean view, big room modern decoration, minimalistic, the infinity pool was the best part of this hotel with its great views.
There are monkeys all over the property. And it is located in a walking distance from barba roja restaurant and my favorite one ....the agua azul restaurant, wish carries the only two Ale beers prodced in costa rica.

• Stayed May 2013
tahoe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I have never seen in my life seen such a jaw dropping amazing view and I have traveled quite a bit! I am a sucker for a view, so this place won me over immediately. We got a good deal just showing up and luckily they had a room. We felt like we were in our own private villa. The floor to ceiling sliding glass windows opened up to a balcony overlooking a lush green jungle that dropped to a turquoise bay with rocks that looked like they were artistically planted. They had a nice breakfast buffet included with the room, not anything amazing but very good. Again the view from the restaurant was amazing with soft classical music in the background that added to the magical atmosphere. The pool was amazing, an infinity pool dropping off into the ocean below. Our room was large with a comfortable bed. It was a bit strange how they had no closets or drawers for storage..that would be my one complaint. Bathroom was quite nice and modern. The AC worked great. Everyone was very friendly and helpful...even a maintenance guy who was helping me figure out how to recharge my minutes on my cell phone! The hotel is a great location as you can walk to several restaurants and tourist type shops. I loved Manuel Antonio park and would defiNitely recommend this hotel to friends!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view, it's worth the money!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I just came back from my stay at La Mariposa in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica. First off, the views are truly spectacular so lets not discredit that from this place. However, that is what you're essentially paying for and I'm sure there are other hotels with the same view in the area if you do your research. The grounds are also well maintained and the location is pretty central to downown areas, restaurants, Manuel Antion National Park, etc. Now, the bad parts. I was there for a wedding (so had no choice really) and was very surprised at the accomodations/services we received. I didn't think it would be bad because of the reviews, but I would say at least 90% of the wedding guests staying at the hotel had issues after swamping stories. Therefore, this is completely not just a personal experience. 1) We booked a full ocean front room with a king size bed. What we got was a king bed AND a queen bed. Not sure why they couldn't be upfront about it when we made the reservation, but I find it very confusing and unnecessary to get two beds when you only request a king. Was told all the rooms in the entire hotel have two beds which I find to be unlikely but not worth arguing. 2) The bathroom was a disaster. Our toliet and shower were not working properly during our entire stay. They came to check on the issue and their way of "fixing" it was to use a plunger for the toliet (gross). Apparently its pretty standard in all of Costa Rica because the water/sewer system is still underdeveloped and you can't throw toilet paper in the toilet. Perhaps the previous guests had screwed things up who knows, but it should have been fixed before bringing in new guests. Then in order to get hot water in the shower, we were told to first run the hot water in ther sink faucet to tweek it. Don't think guests should be learning tricks to use a shower or a toliet in my opinion. 3) We also had a huge ant infestation. We couldn't even leave a glass of water on the night stand because it would become a pool party for them. They were everywhere, on our bed, on the dresser, bathroom, all over my luggage, etc. you name it. Ant party central! I understand we're in a tropical country, etc. but not acceptable in a hotel for the price we paid...sorry. 4) There was a day that they did not come to clean our room and I had to call the next morning to bring us towels and come clean, not acceptable. 5) Construction. Why do they need to start as early as 7am when I'm vacation??. Was definitely on time for the free breakfast since there was not one morning I could sleep in. When I complained to the front desk staff about all our issues, it seemed like they were used to receiving complaints. No apologies or anything, they simply said to email the hotel owner because there was nothing they can do. They barely even give you the courtesy to look you in the face, perhaps embarrassment or rudeness, but not great customer service. Needless to say, overall not a great experience and very surpised people have given the hotel such rave reviews and claim to have stayed at great hotels. This is by far NOT a 5 or 4 star hotel, 3 at most! The only thing that it really has going for them is the view and location but that's it. Good luck and safe travels everyone!

Room Tip: Pick another hotel!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbia, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I agree with everything everyone says about the views and the location. But in my opinion, the hotel needs some work. We were there for 4 nights in mid April. The positives are the pool (except for the 2 hours they were weed-wacking in the middle of 'siesta' time one afternoon), the overall ambiance, the walking location to a couple nice, quaint, restaurants, and the nearby public transportation, which we had no problems using. Monkeys were cool too.

On the downside, the furniture in our room was OLD, scratched up, with a rock hard bed. There were no chairs in the room, so there was no place to do any work (which some of us have to do) unless you wanted to sit on the bed or an oversized ottoman/backless couch. Internet was ok, AC did not work well, but barely well enough if it ran 24 hrs, and it was loud, which drowned out the dripping faucet in the bathroom. TV was nice to have with Miami networks. Restaurant was unimpressive except for the view and setting. They have shuttle to the public beach, which dropped us off but wasn't there for scheduled pickup, which is when we learned to use the bus, which was 50 cents a person one way for a 10 minute ride. There was a fridge in the room, which froze whatever went in it, and the adjustment knob was gone, so no way to fix that. The large sliders out to a GREAT balcony locked, but didn't seal - minor bug issue. For the price, I thought it was overrated, but don't have any comparisons in the area - our first trip there, and didn't stay anywhere else. None of this ruined the vacation - but once you get over the fantastic views, there wasn't much there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel La Mariposa? Share your experiences!