“Nice Hotel in Spectacular Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Mariposa

You added Hotel La Mariposa to your Saves list
Hotel La Mariposa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Manuel Antonio Beach, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
Eugene, Or
“Nice Hotel in Spectacular Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

As others have noted this hotel has a great view of the ocean and surrounding area. Our corner room on the third floor (36) had a spectacular view - staff said the best in the hotel. The pool area is very nice - the views from the outdoors restaurant unbelievable. Staff is extremely helpful and speaks excellent English and Swahili (just kidding). Negative comments would be the price and quality of the restaurant and the overall value of the restaurant experience. ($175 for a dinner for 2). Our value white wine was served warm - on a hot day. Our $18 caesar salad appetizer portion was served without dressing and consisted mostly of croutons. The lettuce was limp and warm, and the Anchovie portion of the salad appeared to be like bacon-bits. Anyway - a very poor execution of a Caesar salad - especially at that price. I had the beef tenderloin in mushroom sauce with mashed potatoes and vegies - which was a very modest portion - but tasty. Isabella had the lobster linguine which was fine - but nothing to write home about. Service was OK. The view spectacular. Breakfast buffet and eggs and pancakes to order were delicious. The only other negative comment is about the noise coming from the pool area late at night. There were a bunch of folks yelling at each other in the hot tub at midnight - our room directly above. We were able to hear it even with ear plugs and pillows over our heads. Not good - I'm surprised they allow this to happen as there are probably 30 rooms within earshot of the pool area. Our room was plain but functional. As others have noted there is no art - minimal furniture etc. But really - we were only sleeping in there so it didn't matter that much.

Room Tip: Room 36 is the top floor corner room with the best view - however noise from the pool area at night...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We took a Full Ocean View Room and got the top floor, right side, wrap around balcony with a 180 degree view of the ocean and bay. It was magnificent. The sunsets - we just couldn't get enough. The room itself was gorgeous, with two king size beds and floor-to-ceiling windows around two sides. The hotel grounds were unbelievable - infinity pool, swim-up bar (with submerged bar stools built into the pool), and a full service pool restaurant. The breakfast buffet was plentiful and delicious and the restaurant had incredible 180 degree views of the ocean. The grounds were lush with flowering trees and bushes and lots of birds, white-face Capuchin monkeys, and lizards and iguanas. The staff was helpful and friendly. We enjoyed four nights and wished we never had to leave. It is truly an experience to cherish for a lifetime!

Room Tip: Get the full view - you won't regret it!
Cape Cod
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Enjoyed Mariposa so much last year that we returned again this year after spending 3 nights in La Fortuna. Mariposa is a beautiful hotel with amazing views of the Pacific. We booked a Premier Ocean View room, which was bright, modern, and spacious, with GREAT views of the ocean, and a perfect spot for viewing sunsets.
The infinity pool is perfect - again with amazing views. Enjoyed swimming and relaxing poolside with a drink from the poolside bar.
Manfred was very helpful and kind as we went through the booking process for our return trip. (Thank you, Manfred!) All of the front desk staff members were very professional.
The included breakfast was delicious, with eggs made to order, pancakes, fresh fruit, etc., and of course, Costa Rican coffee. Views from the dining area are second to none. Dinners were also wonderful - we were there for 4 nights, and had dinner at the hotel on three occasions. It was so relaxing sitting out under the stars, and Luis, our waiter, was excellent. We remembered him from last year. He made our stay very special due to his kindness and friendliness.
Mariposa is a great choice if you're looking for a hotel in Manuel Antonio. The hotel offers a free shuttle down to the beach 3 or 4 times per day. The beaches in the national park are beautiful, as is the beach where the shuttle drops you off.
Mariposa is located in an area where you can walk to a few restaurants, an ATM, etc., so you don't need to rely on a car or taxi.
Feel free to email with any questions.

Room Tip: We stayed in Premier Ocean View rooms both this year and last year. I think the room numbers were 5...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

If you are looking for a beautiful hotel with an amazing view and great service then La Mariposa is the place to stay. The premier ocean view room is gorgeous and spacious. The staff is very attentive and friendly, their buffet breakfast is really delicious and the hotel is conveniently located to the beach and enterence to the Manuel Antonio Park. I travelled to Costa Rica with my 3 1/2 year old son and La Mariposa definitely was the most family friendly of all the hotels.

The only 2 issues I had with the hotel are (1) the howler monkeys at night are extremely loud and will keep you up unless you keep the airconditioning running all night or bring earplugs and (2) the bed is kind of hard and they only provide a thin sheet which means you better bundle up if you want to run the air all night to avoid monkey noises.

But other than those issues, great hotel and I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Even before we left home, the staff at Hotel La Mariposa in Manuel Antonio Costa Rica worked to make our vacation terrific! They put us in a beautiful ocean view room -- very clean and comfortable for our family of four (our kids at 12 and 17). They also worked with us via email to determine the tours we wanted and then lined us up with outstanding guides -- incredibly knowledgeable, interesting and fun -- and reliable, friendly drivers. Once we arrived, we were treated to the nicest, most accommodating staff! Front desk, bellmen, waiters, housekeepers - everyone - was friendly, helpful...just amazing! We were treated more like guests in someone's home than tourists. The location is spectacular - the view of the ocean and the natural environment is breath taking and it was very easy to get to the National Park, restaurants, shopping etc. While we did not have dinner in the hotel restaurant, we did have breakfast there daily (included with our room) and then snacks and lunches by the pool. The food was great and worked for adults and kids. I would HIGHLY recommend this beautiful hotel and its excellent service to anyone and everyone. We very much hope to go back and stay at La Mariposa again!!

Room Tip: We were on the top floor, corner room so we had a balcony with spectacular, panoramic views.
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I really really wanted to give this hotel five stars when we arrived. The setting is magnificent we have stayed in amazing hotels around the world including the beautiful Four Seasons Lanai, yet I am not sure any of them has quite as spectacular view. We certainly were not expecting Four Seasons accommodations here as I have been to Costa Rica many times yet I was expecting more. The room we stayed in was called the double room and seemed to be a great fit for our family. This time of year the room has both sunrise and sunset views. Your balcony is right above the restaurant so it does lack a little privacy but that is more than made up for by the fact you only have to climb up one flight of the rickety spiral staircase. The staff is friendly and nice with some exceptions. Some made very clear they did not approve of me complaining but we will get to that latter.

The room was very sparsely appointed with zero artwork and curtains made out of faux suede that would normally be used for upholstery. The beds are basically a box spring with four legs and the only pillows provided were king size foam pillows. I was aware of that and while I accepted it I was ready for a comfortable bed before the end of our stay. I brought my own pillow and my wife had wished she had brought hers. The double connecting room is just what it says except the bathrooms are quite different. The room with a garden view has a large shower and nice vanity. The room with the incredible view has a tiny bathroom and an even smaller shower (I have a bigger shower in my boat). The worst part was the fact that there was a little tiny glass partition and no door or curtain and the shower head was not moveable so there was absolutely no way to take a shower without flooding the bathroom. There also is no vanity. You have a pedestal sink across the room with no shelf or any kind of vertical surface anywhere near. It would have been nice to at least have a place for my razor and toothbrush, you can imagine what my wife had to deal with. The other issues with the room is that there is only one armoire to put your clothes in and half of one of the two shelves in it are taken up by the safe no where to put your suitcase much less clothes for two people and we travel with one carry on per person. The furniture in the room is attractive but not functional or comfortable. Carved wooden chairs with only a seat cushion and with the carvings it was not comfortable to lean back against, as a matter of fact I did not find that there was any comfortable furniture in the whole hotel with the exception of the lounge chairs by the pool.

Service was generally good with an occasional missed request for a reservation which we did not find out about until we were already at the restaurant also a missed cab call. the staff was very friendly and always called you by name and greeted you. The one issue that I had was that they started construction ON my balcony while we were in our room. On the second day of construction I informed them in the morning that we would be out of the room for at least five hours and could they please get all of the noisy work done. We returned to the room around three in the afternoon and no work had been done we got a shower and sat back to relax and of course that is when the hammering cutting and welding began. This was on our deck with workers walking on our deck. Needless to say I had had enough. I really thought someone would offer us a different room or a refund but that did not happen. I informed them that we would be leaving if they did not stop and that seemed to do the trick but it was a shame I had to get upset as I had already complained twice about the intrusion.

The food was OK but not great unfortunately that seemed to be the case at many places. The breakfast is adequate but I would have expected maybe a little more of a variety as we were there for eight nights and it was always the same.

As I said before I really wanted to give this place five stars but after the construction I wanted to give them two. Alas I settled with three because it is really a magical setting with monkeys all over the place and even a Sloth right next to the bar.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed in the honeymoon suite to celebrate our silver honeymoon. The hotel and the room are not new but they grew old with dignity. There were some faults in the room ( with water, electricity and ants), I didnt mind them so much but my wife who always expects the best was disappointed. Views from our terrace and from the open air (and not airconditioned) dining area are superb. Breakfast was not breathtaking. The restaurant which we've heard a lot about is overrated.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Hotel La Mariposa? Share your experiences!