“Excellent Service, Amazing Staff and Breathtaking Views...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Mariposa

Save Saved
You added Hotel La Mariposa to your Saves list
Hotel La Mariposa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Manuel Antonio Beach, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
Announcement
Click for details
Atlanta, Georgia
“Excellent Service, Amazing Staff and Breathtaking Views...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I recently traveled to Costa Rica with a good friend of mine. It was my first time visiting, but my friend had stayed here several times before and now I see why. From the moment we arrived, we were greeted with the friendly staff who really made us feel at home here. One person in particular, Gustavo Aguilar, made our experience at La Mariposa an absolute fairtytale. He is the sweetest, most thoughtful person that works there. He set up a candlelit romantic dinner in the best part of the hotel restaurant and played our music of choice. He always made sure that we were enjoying ourselves and went above and beyond to accommodate for every request. He even went as far as bringing me chocolates from his hometown so I could try them. Wow! I will definitely be visiting Costa Rica in the future and La Mariposa will absolutely be the place that I stay at. I couldn't have asked for a better hotel. Not to mention, I made a new friend out of it, Gustavo. Thank you to everyone that works there...it was the best vacation of my life.

Room Tip: Definitely pick a room that overlooks the water. The views are amazing!!!

722 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Pahoa, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised when we checked into what we thought would be a partial ocean view, condo type room- to find a beautiful, spanish style suite with a mosaic jacuzzi tub and the most breathtaking panoramic view of Manuel Antonio beach and National Park. Breakfast every morning with this view and daily visitations of monkeys, large iguanas and colorful birds made this a restful, nurturing part of our stay in Costa Rica. The only negative aspect was that during the entire four night stay there was no hot water which was especially frustrating when trying to enjoy the jacuzzi tub. The water was warm for shower but never hot. This was also the case for the hot tub in the pool area. Since the main source of hot water seems to be generated by the sun and it being the rainy season we accepted this and still enjoyed our time at this amazing place.

North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We enjoyed a lovely stay, with great service and of course, spectacular views. Manfred and Andre in reservations were extremely helpful. We needed a room on short notice and were very happy to get Room 6 with an amazing view, very clean and nicely furnished. All of the staff were courteous, friendly and eager to help. The view from the pool is just as amazing as from the terrace where you eat. The breakfast every morning was delicious, absolutely no complaints.

Room Tip: Speak with Manfred he can help you find the perfect room.
Saint Charles, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The entire property, including our room which was separate from the main building, allows you to soak up the best Pacific Ocean views in Manuel Antonio. The colorful, tropical grounds (including a capuchin monkey that stole a banana off the swimming pool bar) complement the sweeping views and gorgeous sunsets. Our room was fairly simple in decor and furnishings, yet clean and inviting with lots of glass windows to make the most of the setting. We took the free hotel shuttle into the town of Manuel Antonio to enjoy a day at the park.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with an ocean view!
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

So, I am giving this property 5 stars with the disclaimer that the view really carries it all! Honestly, my only complaints are a few "attention to detail" type things. I will start with amazing: The VIEW! We were in room 8. Separate from the main building, there is a hot tub on the very private balcony with an incredible view (its a wonder we left the room at all)!! The water was super hot (unlike the jacuzzi in the pool area). During the rainy season, this was amazing! Under cover when raining, hot water, private, spectacular view; what more could you ask for! The room was spacious (huge actually) and clean. The grounds were beautiful and well kept. The servers in the restaurant were especially nice. The included breakfast was a great value and delicious. Ice available in the lobby 24 hrs. (a nicety we are used to in the States, but not always available elsewhere). Walkable to restaurants and the bus stop without being on the main thoroughfare.
Here's what needs some attention: The shower had no water pressure, probably partly due to the fact that there was constant drip that kept me awake some nights (should have mentioned to mgmt., but didn't). Looking back, I should've. I'm sure they would have taken care of it. The drinks at the bar are a little pricey. OK, they do have an amazing view, but we are not in the US or Europe (where you expect pricey hotel drinks). Once you added tax and tip a simple rum and sprite would cost around $10. The pools were ice cold, but we were there at the end of the rainy season so that's to be expected. I would imagine it's delightful in the hot season. My only REAL complaint: The pillows felt like I was sleeping on a bag of socks!! Management, please, please invest in some good pillows!! I have no complaints about the bed, but the pillows were terrible. Oh, and no alarm clock or any clock in the room. All in all, we had a fabulous stay here.

Room Tip: The building away from the main hotel boasts some great views and a little more privacy it seemed (R...
Lakewood, oh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We enjoyed a romantic meal at La Mariposa that was surprisingly inexpensive. Although we did not stay at the hotel, the dining experience is a memory I will never forget. The view is incredible and will take your breath away. The scenic view of the mountains, coastline and sunset are a rewarding combination that will leave you speechless.

We shared a bottle of champagne, shrimp stuffed avocado salad, lobster bisque, gorgonzola pasta and filet mignon. Some menu options were not available because we were not in the busy season, but that is a nice trade off considering we had the entire restaurant to ourselves!

Do yourself a favor and make a reservation about 45 minutes before sunset. You're welcome.

Room Tip: I only dined at the restaurant and anyone who visits Manuel Antonio without a meal here is doing the...
Royal Oak, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I know I say this a lot in my reviews, but this view is unreal. I have been walking by this tucked back place for years.. and never thought to walk up the hill to venture in. The view, the pool, the swim up bar, the service and the food are out of this world. Lunch is affordable. So if you are on a budget visit the hotel for lunch and check it out. I bet you will be returning and spending a few nights in this wonderful spot!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel La Mariposa? Share your experiences!