“Natural Beauty” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Mariposa

Save Saved
You added Hotel La Mariposa to your Saves list
Hotel La Mariposa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Manuel Antonio Beach, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
25% off room rate
North Vancouver, Canada
“Natural Beauty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We enjoyed a lovely stay, with great service and of course, spectacular views. Manfred and Andre in reservations were extremely helpful. We needed a room on short notice and were very happy to get Room 6 with an amazing view, very clean and nicely furnished. All of the staff were courteous, friendly and eager to help. The view from the pool is just as amazing as from the terrace where you eat. The breakfast every morning was delicious, absolutely no complaints.

Room Tip: Speak with Manfred he can help you find the perfect room.

768 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Saint Charles, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The entire property, including our room which was separate from the main building, allows you to soak up the best Pacific Ocean views in Manuel Antonio. The colorful, tropical grounds (including a capuchin monkey that stole a banana off the swimming pool bar) complement the sweeping views and gorgeous sunsets. Our room was fairly simple in decor and furnishings, yet clean and inviting with lots of glass windows to make the most of the setting. We took the free hotel shuttle into the town of Manuel Antonio to enjoy a day at the park.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with an ocean view!
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

So, I am giving this property 5 stars with the disclaimer that the view really carries it all! Honestly, my only complaints are a few "attention to detail" type things. I will start with amazing: The VIEW! We were in room 8. Separate from the main building, there is a hot tub on the very private balcony with an incredible view (its a wonder we left the room at all)!! The water was super hot (unlike the jacuzzi in the pool area). During the rainy season, this was amazing! Under cover when raining, hot water, private, spectacular view; what more could you ask for! The room was spacious (huge actually) and clean. The grounds were beautiful and well kept. The servers in the restaurant were especially nice. The included breakfast was a great value and delicious. Ice available in the lobby 24 hrs. (a nicety we are used to in the States, but not always available elsewhere). Walkable to restaurants and the bus stop without being on the main thoroughfare.
Here's what needs some attention: The shower had no water pressure, probably partly due to the fact that there was constant drip that kept me awake some nights (should have mentioned to mgmt., but didn't). Looking back, I should've. I'm sure they would have taken care of it. The drinks at the bar are a little pricey. OK, they do have an amazing view, but we are not in the US or Europe (where you expect pricey hotel drinks). Once you added tax and tip a simple rum and sprite would cost around $10. The pools were ice cold, but we were there at the end of the rainy season so that's to be expected. I would imagine it's delightful in the hot season. My only REAL complaint: The pillows felt like I was sleeping on a bag of socks!! Management, please, please invest in some good pillows!! I have no complaints about the bed, but the pillows were terrible. Oh, and no alarm clock or any clock in the room. All in all, we had a fabulous stay here.

Room Tip: The building away from the main hotel boasts some great views and a little more privacy it seemed (R...
Lakewood, oh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We enjoyed a romantic meal at La Mariposa that was surprisingly inexpensive. Although we did not stay at the hotel, the dining experience is a memory I will never forget. The view is incredible and will take your breath away. The scenic view of the mountains, coastline and sunset are a rewarding combination that will leave you speechless.

We shared a bottle of champagne, shrimp stuffed avocado salad, lobster bisque, gorgonzola pasta and filet mignon. Some menu options were not available because we were not in the busy season, but that is a nice trade off considering we had the entire restaurant to ourselves!

Do yourself a favor and make a reservation about 45 minutes before sunset. You're welcome.

Room Tip: I only dined at the restaurant and anyone who visits Manuel Antonio without a meal here is doing the...
Royal Oak, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I know I say this a lot in my reviews, but this view is unreal. I have been walking by this tucked back place for years.. and never thought to walk up the hill to venture in. The view, the pool, the swim up bar, the service and the food are out of this world. Lunch is affordable. So if you are on a budget visit the hotel for lunch and check it out. I bet you will be returning and spending a few nights in this wonderful spot!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

The view from La Mariposa is unmatched in all of Manuel Antonio! Just GORGEOUS!!!! We LOVED the monkeys too!!!!! They put on a great show leaping from the roof, off balconies and jumping from tree to tree! Our first room we got was room number 5. It was a HUGE room with a HUGE balcony. It was an older room separate from the main building. Everything seemed old, including the linens and the drapes. Immediately, I noticed it smelled musty. I turned on the air conditioner thinking maybe it was just musty from being warm and no circulation, but no. I have terrible allergies and within 15 minutes I was stuffed up and wheezing. An hour or so later, we went to the front desk and asked if all the rooms were kind of older and musty, or just this one. He didn't look all too happy to help, but showed us a couple of rooms in the main building. They didn't seem much better & were the most boring rooms... literally no decorations, white walls. He then took us to another little separate building to room 53. This room is very tastefully updated, I could see that it had recently been redone. We were VERY happy with this room and my allergies cleared up very quickly. I am convinced that there was mold in room 5. The next day, I saw the same man and thanked him so much for helping us with our room because I was so much more comfortable... told him how much we appreciated it and that I thought there may be a mold problem in room 5. He literally shrugged and said, "eh." Not really the hospitality we had experienced with every other person we met in Costa Rica. In the end, our experience was really good, but I cannot suggest strongly enough to request a room in the same building as room 53. My rating would have been considerably lower had we not been able to change rooms. Breakfast was GREAT, the view simply amazing, everyone else at the hotel (besides this one grump) was so welcoming & lovely. Did I mention the view? I mean, really, even if you choose another hotel, go here for a drink just to take in the view! Wonderful area with lots of restaurants, 2 minutes to the beach by car!

Room Tip: Avoid room 5 if you have allergies... we loved room 53. I believe any room in that building would be...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Southern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

I did a lot of research and was bummed that we chose to stay here. The view is awesome but not worth staying here. The rooms and hotel are old and not charming. I would suggest staying elsewhere, Issimo Suites is awesome, but I don't think they have a view. Go to La Mariposa for a drink and to enjoy the view but do not stay here.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Hotel La Mariposa? Share your experiences!