“1000 places to see before you die” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Mariposa

You added Hotel La Mariposa to your Saves list
Hotel La Mariposa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Manuel Antonio Beach, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
Lakewood, oh
“1000 places to see before you die”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We enjoyed a romantic meal at La Mariposa that was surprisingly inexpensive. Although we did not stay at the hotel, the dining experience is a memory I will never forget. The view is incredible and will take your breath away. The scenic view of the mountains, coastline and sunset are a rewarding combination that will leave you speechless.

We shared a bottle of champagne, shrimp stuffed avocado salad, lobster bisque, gorgonzola pasta and filet mignon. Some menu options were not available because we were not in the busy season, but that is a nice trade off considering we had the entire restaurant to ourselves!

Do yourself a favor and make a reservation about 45 minutes before sunset. You're welcome.

Room Tip: I only dined at the restaurant and anyone who visits Manuel Antonio without a meal here is doing the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Royal Oak, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I know I say this a lot in my reviews, but this view is unreal. I have been walking by this tucked back place for years.. and never thought to walk up the hill to venture in. The view, the pool, the swim up bar, the service and the food are out of this world. Lunch is affordable. So if you are on a budget visit the hotel for lunch and check it out. I bet you will be returning and spending a few nights in this wonderful spot!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

The view from La Mariposa is unmatched in all of Manuel Antonio! Just GORGEOUS!!!! We LOVED the monkeys too!!!!! They put on a great show leaping from the roof, off balconies and jumping from tree to tree! Our first room we got was room number 5. It was a HUGE room with a HUGE balcony. It was an older room separate from the main building. Everything seemed old, including the linens and the drapes. Immediately, I noticed it smelled musty. I turned on the air conditioner thinking maybe it was just musty from being warm and no circulation, but no. I have terrible allergies and within 15 minutes I was stuffed up and wheezing. An hour or so later, we went to the front desk and asked if all the rooms were kind of older and musty, or just this one. He didn't look all too happy to help, but showed us a couple of rooms in the main building. They didn't seem much better & were the most boring rooms... literally no decorations, white walls. He then took us to another little separate building to room 53. This room is very tastefully updated, I could see that it had recently been redone. We were VERY happy with this room and my allergies cleared up very quickly. I am convinced that there was mold in room 5. The next day, I saw the same man and thanked him so much for helping us with our room because I was so much more comfortable... told him how much we appreciated it and that I thought there may be a mold problem in room 5. He literally shrugged and said, "eh." Not really the hospitality we had experienced with every other person we met in Costa Rica. In the end, our experience was really good, but I cannot suggest strongly enough to request a room in the same building as room 53. My rating would have been considerably lower had we not been able to change rooms. Breakfast was GREAT, the view simply amazing, everyone else at the hotel (besides this one grump) was so welcoming & lovely. Did I mention the view? I mean, really, even if you choose another hotel, go here for a drink just to take in the view! Wonderful area with lots of restaurants, 2 minutes to the beach by car!

Room Tip: Avoid room 5 if you have allergies... we loved room 53. I believe any room in that building would be...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Southern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

I did a lot of research and was bummed that we chose to stay here. The view is awesome but not worth staying here. The rooms and hotel are old and not charming. I would suggest staying elsewhere, Issimo Suites is awesome, but I don't think they have a view. Go to La Mariposa for a drink and to enjoy the view but do not stay here.

• Stayed August 2012
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

According to even their rival hotels in the area, the Mariposa has the best view of Manuel Antonio. Indeed, it's gorgeous. We had a wonderful room (upgraded) that added to our experience. Since it was off season, the breakfast was served, rather than buffet, but it was plentiful, good, and served graciously. Reception staff was also very helpful and friendly. Location is great: walking distance to cafes and other sights, which is rare in Costa Rica for good hotels. Our only negative would be about the beds and pillows: lumpy and not comfortable.

Room Tip: try to check out several rooms if you can. may want to avoid the stairs.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I got married here in August and the staff at La Mariposa made our Wedding Day incredible and memorable. The Wedding Coordinator was there during the event to make sure everything ran smoothly and perfectly. The Chef also gave us his personal attention and catered to our likes and food desires and the food was phenomenal. We were treated like family during the coarse of the entire week we were there. Needless to say, we can't wait to return next year

Room Tip: We had a total of 4 rooms between the family and they were all spectacular
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ness Ziona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

very good hotel... good location. very helpfull crew. verry nice and clean room. free Wifi and computer in the loby. Bar in the swiming pool......................... good breakfast with fresh fruits.......................................

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel La Mariposa? Share your experiences!