“Beautiful views - lots of hills!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Costa Verde

You added Hotel Costa Verde to your Saves list
Hotel Costa Verde
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Manuel Antonio Road, Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica   |
Austin, TX
“Beautiful views - lots of hills!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

We stayed in the regular studio room, with a double bed and a twin bed, as well as a kitchenette. The restaurants around the hotel were good, with average prices ($10-$12 per plate).
* Monkeys were fun to watch during breakfast and at the pool
* View from our room was great!
* Staff spoke English very well and for the most part, was very helpful

This hotel was nice, but we will probably stay elsewhere with our next visit:
* The shower water pressure was horrible. Our friends had the same issue in their Studio Plus room. We joked about using the pool showers instead of the showers in our rooms!
* Our room was located in Area A which was, no lie, at the top of a 45-degree hill. The first day or two it was novel, but got to be a real pain coupled with the humidity.
* We found it much cheaper to book activities and grab taxi's ourselves, rather than through the front desk. Prices tended to be less expensive this way. For instance, were quoted $95/ person for 2.5 hour ATV ride at the hotel, and in town, we found a tour for 4.5 hours at $95/ person (plus a $10 discount for paying cash - ATV Quad Adventures in Quepos).
* Had to buy beach towels since the hotel asks you to not take the bath towels to the beach and they do not provide them...$15/towel was the cheapest I could bargain for at the beach.
* We had one blanket per bed, so we had to double up with the blanket from our twin bed. The blankets are typical Mexican style blankets, and while warm, often lost in the battle with the a/c at night - we ended up sleeping without the a/c to keep from getting cold (not a good thing when you factor in the humidity).

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

Introduction: I planned a family trip to Costa Rica last year for myself, my sister and our parents (Mom & Dad had never been on a foreign vacation before!). After much Trip Advisor searching and review reading, I decided to choose Hotel Costa Verde as our final resting spot in Manuel Antonio, and boy was I pleased! This place was worth every penny, and frankly, I would have paid more. It is set up on a very steep road which eventually leads to the beach and National Park, lined with many other resorts, hotels and hostels. This place is a gem. We stayed one night in a "jungle bungalow" and the other 6 nights we were in an ocean view suite - the room boasted the most amazing panoramic views of an ocean I've ever seen (note, my family and I have lived on the Atlantic our entire lives, so water alone is no breath taker for us, but this knocked the wind right out!).

Rooms: We stayed in a Studio-Plus in Costa Verde II. The rooms were very clean, room service every day. Two ceiling fans (No AC and we knew this going in - it was never a problem, the tile and open construction of the room kept it very comfortable). Windows were screen. Amazing sliding wooden door to open to balcony with view. The floor was tiled, furniture made of rustic looking wood, included rocking chairs, table, luggage stands. We had 2 double beds. A full working kitchen, with full-sized fridge (you could cook everyday at home if you wanted), sink to wash dishes. Ample sized bathroom, hot/cold running water. Large mirror, replenished toiletries and towels every day if you needed.

Amenities: The hotel offered shuttle services to and from certain places, although we never used it. There was a working safe in the room. Normal metal keys to lock up (no cards). No food or other amenities were included. There was on-site spa and massages but we didn't try it. There are 4 different nature paths surrounding the grounds, my parents hiked all of them and loved it (relatively leisurely, mundane and short hikes). There are 2 pools - one "adult" in Costa Verde II and one "family" in the original "Costa Verde". We never explored the family pool, which is supposedly larger, so I can't speak for that. The "adult" pool, where my sister and I spent a majority of our time was our haven. Sun all day long, a cabana for all the drinks you could want, a pool to refresh in after soaking the rays and staring out at the sparkling Pacific ocean. My pictures speak for themselves.

Food: We ate many a meal at the Anaconda restaurant, about 5 minutes from our room on the hotel grounds. We had breakfast there just about every morning, try the "Tico Breakfast" - yummy! Fresh fruit, yummy coffee, amazing views. We had a couple dinners too. It isn't gourmet food, but it was relatively authentic and moderately priced and extremely accessible. We did eat one night at La Cantina across the street and my sister and I ate one night at El Avion, a little further down. All 3 restaurants are part of Costa Verde. I would say try them all, each one boasts something a little different. Live music at La Cantina, and the chance to explore and have a few drinks inside an old airplane at El Avion.

Fun: There is an abundance of activities - jet ski, ATV, boat rides, tour led hikes though the park, horse-back riding, etc. The front desk is more than happy to arrange any trips for you at a moments notice.

People: The other guests there were relatively quiet, kept to themselves. The maids were very nice. The restaurant workers were friendly, but seemed overworked. The concierge was extremely friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. The only thing that freaked me out was walking into our room one afternoon to see one of the maids in there - talking on our telephone....not sure what was going on there. But we never noticed any strange charges. Odd.

Grounds: The hotel grounds are all either paved or made up of stone. There is ample parking for rental vehicles at no extra cost to you. There were TONS of monkeys and iguanas. I remember reading reviews myself a year ago, and some people saying there weren't many monkeys. There was definitely enough! And plenty of iguanas, lizards, insects and different birds as well.

Bottom Line: This was a long review, I know and....drum roll....if you haven't guessed, I would absolutely come back to Costa Verde and would certainly recommend this hotel to a friend, I've even considered going back with my group of friends. I wish I was still there. I would almost even pass up trips to new countries, just to go back to Costa Verde!

One Thing: There must have been some kind of construction further down the road Costa Verde was on, because at certain hours of the day, extremely LOUD trucks would come barreling by. It was never at night (didn't wake us) and it wasn't enough to complain about or really take away as a huge issue. Just an FYI!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
Wichita, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

I stayed in the 727 suite for one night with my two small children, thinking the kids would be excited to spend the night in an airplane. They were impressed with the room, as I was, it is a neat concept and very unique!
The room was clean, great views, and we loved the balcony. We are frequent visitors to MA and always eat at the on property restaurant, Anaconda, which we always enjoy.
However, I will say that I will NEVER stay at Costa Verde again. I paid $550 plus tax for one night, which was more than we paid per night for a very nice house just a short distance away with a better view and much better service.

The staff at this hotel seemed snotty, aloof, and too busy to assist me when we checked in. The 727 suite we stayed in is somewhat isolated, and when I attempted to call the front desk I found that there were no dialing instructions on the phone. I tried the logical "0", but that wasn't it. I had to hike to the desk in the dark to ask how to dial out, and ask for the direct number to our room. Keep in mind I was a mom alone with her two kids. After I relayed the info to my husband via ichat (which I had to pay $10 for a 160 min. internet connection) he attempted to call our room several times from the US. No one would answer the phone at the front desk. When I stopped in to check out the next morning, the staff was extremely rude when I asked why no one would answer the phone at 10 pm the previous night. The man at the desk proceeded to tell me that the phone never rang. (Whether they gave me the wrong number, my husband was dialing the wrong number, or they just were not answering I don't know, and don't care. The point is that they were so rude and absolutely unapologetic.) They were very unfriendly and unhelpful, and for $550 a night I expect better service. They also billed my credit card for the $10 internet card that I had already paid cash for. This could be a small oversight, I know, but the employees were such a turn off I didn't even want to call to request that they take it off of my card because I didn't want to talk to them!

They have a wonderful property and a great location, now if they would just employ a better staff they would have a gem in MA.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

Booked this online, pictures did not do the place justice. We had room A11 which had 3 double beds. The room was very spacious which was more comfortable for 3 guys sharing. Would stay again if going to Manuel Antonio. Hotel has some strange featrure such as the large passenger plne that has been made into a hotel room. The bar also has a large plane again converted to a Bar. The rooms are all very isolated and give a real sense of the jungle.

Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2009

If James Bond 007 were going to stay in Manuel Antonio, he would be at Costa Verde! This hotels is one of the coolest I have ever seen. Our rooms were great. we really felt like we were secluded in the jungle. Everything was very clean and the staff was terrific. The food was not as good as we expected but there restaurants had the best views!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

• Stayed January 2009
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

Costa Verde is a great hotel to stay at. I got a garden view room with a huge verandah. Ocean view are available as well. Room was very clean. I shut off the air conditioning and used the fan. Monkeys and iguanas nearby. The restauarnt and pool have great views of the Pacific Ocean. The walk to Manuel Antonio beach and park is short and easy. The return is hot and uphill. The only thing I did nto like was the tuna staeak at the restaurant, it was over cooked and dry. I would stay here again in a minute.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Costa Verde? Share your experiences!