“Just a basic cabin -- but in an amazing location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Costa Verde

You added Hotel Costa Verde to your Saves list
Hotel Costa Verde
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Manuel Antonio Road, Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica   |
Boston, Massachusetts
“Just a basic cabin -- but in an amazing location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Pros and cons.

Pros: We were in Bungalow E-5 and it was perfect for us. We had visits from capuchin monkeys (actually shaking our roof at one point!) and watched sloths in the trees right in front of us for hours. Iguanas and an agouti (we had to look it up to figure out what it was!) were on our path regularly. I saw humming birds in our trees. The cabin has a great porch -- you can see (and hear) the ocean, but the nature around you is the highlight. The location of this bungalow is great -- you really feel private (you can't really see other rooms or people) and our wifi was excellent (you can see the wifi unit right on the porch). Two rooms was good for a family with teens (and two bathrooms) and we were glad for the table and refrigerator (we ate in one really rainy night). TVs in both rooms with some English language channels. The air conditoners worked really well, as well as ceiling fans. Showers were fine. I don't think any of us will ever forget sitting on that porch and seeing the wildlife right in front of us. Really memorable.

Cons: You should know the hill that everyone mentions is REALLY long and steep. About the length of a football field from our bungalow up to the main office area) and probably a 25 degree angle. All four of us were sweating by the top (and most of us are quite fit!) You have to walk up the hill -- and then down another one to get to the only pool for kids -- and back up and down to get back to your room. I got used to it by the end of our stay, but it's a mild deterrent to going out. (We didn't have a car -- if you did have a car this might be a non issue.) The walk to the beach is downhill -- but then uphill is awful. Almost all the restaurants are up another hill. We got used to it, but doing it once the sun was high (after maybe 10 a.m.) guaranteed you'd be drenched with sweat when you sat down again.

The beds are hard and only one of the three mattresses we had was clean and up to date. NO MATTRESS COVERS and the sheets are thin. That skeeved me out. It would be a huge improvement if they upgraded the mattresses and used mattress covers. The room smells musty all the time, but that is probably inevitable in the rain forest.

We had fine interactions with the staff -- one guy actually opened the gift shop up for us when we mentioned our daughters had a bad sun burn and needed soothing lotion. We ate at all the hotel's restaurants and the experiences were fine overall. Breakfast at the Anaconda is an amazing view. El Wagon pizza place was probably best overall. And the hotel will drive you to their own restaurants, avoiding that hill climb at the start of a meal.

I will always remember this hotel fondly and we had a great time there. But be aware of what you are getting into. It's not luxury and the hills are a big negative (on the premises and up and down the road to get to things...) If you're up for a bit of a rustic experience and not needing luxury, this is a pretty cool place to stay because of its location.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Laurel, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Our stay at Hotel Costa Verde in Manual Antonio, Costa Rica in July 2014 was overall nice and enjoyable. Our room was beautiful, all wood and glass windows so we could get the real Costa Rica feel and be surrounded by nature. The views from the window and balcony were breathtaking. The jungle on one side, the Pacific Ocean on the other. Really exceeded my expectations for the price paid.
The hotel is set up as many different buildings, so we had to walk down a big hill and through a forest path to get to our room. The grounds were well kept but during the dark evenings, the walk was a little uneasy for us. However, at least when you arrive and depart, the bellboy is happy to drive you to/from the building and carry your luggage (no elevators). The shuttle will also take you to any of their restaurants if you call (before 10:30PM).
The front desk staff was nice but not very helpful. We could not get our hot water to come on in the shower and they acted like we were crazy for calling (we had to keep calling, too). Wifi didn’t really work very well at all. The beds were VERY hard and left my back in pain. They were very stingy with the towels- we had to go get them from the front desk ourselves and then were asked why we need them. Wow. However, the room was huge and clean, and again that amazing view made up for a lot. We also had a kitchen with a fridge in our room. They also had a little computer to use for internet access as needed by the front desk, which helped.
We also had an ant infestation in our room, even in the bathroom and they were all over our stuff, even the towels. Not a big deal considering it’s in the jungle, but ugh. The bugs in the hallway were ENOURMOUS and all over our door. However this is part of being smack in the middle of the wilderness, which had its pluses such as a nice little visit from a white-faced monkey on our balcony and many encounters with other creatures, such as a sloth crawling the roof of the Cantina restaurant and the howling monkeys in the trees. This was another highlight and truly unforgettable.
The breakfast included was great and the coffee at their breakfast restaurant was delicious. The pizza place was pretty good but nothing amazing. The other restaurants were OK. Very overpriced and unspecial versions of American food catered towards most tourists. I was very disappointed by the food overall. I am a foodie and nothing wowed me. The town of Manuel Antonio is pretty touristy so your best bet is to get some good and authentic local food for cheap in another town.
The beach is nearby (you have to take a cab) and but it’s not exactly the type you would go to lounge and tan on from what I saw. Also they do not provide beach towels, instead they claim they have beach mats for you and point you to a disgusting tub of filthy wicker mats covered in bugs. I couldn’t get over that. So we couldn’t even enjoy the beach if we wanted to. The sun wasn’t out very much during our stay anyway though, so we opted for the pool instead, which was nice with great views of the ocean, although VERY small.
Overall, the room was great because of its size, balcony, many windows, and amazing views, plus the exposure to wildlife, but that’s about it. For the price, it was great but there were definitely many negatives so I don’t think I would return. We did have a fabulous time during our guided tour of the National Park which is a few minutes away and we loved the country overall after visiting Arenal/La Fortuna during our stay in Costa Rica as well. A charming and beautiful country, but you may want to shop around for hotels.

Room Tip: Bring lots of bug spray!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I was very excited to stay at this hotel, when I read how it had more monkeys than people. .I booked an effeciency room, thinking the only difference was the size of the room. .I was sadly mistaken! Upon check in, we were showed to our room which wad right off the main road where check in is. Not the jungle surroundings I was expecting. When I asked if there was another room, I was told all the efficiences are off the main road. They saod there was nothing they could do. Seeing how this was off season and there were vacanancies, I felt they could have upgraded us. This was a girls trip, and somehow I feel that if I was with my boyfriend I would have been upgraded immediately. The highlight of the stay however, was seeing monkeys on day two. They actually traveled across our roof in order to jump to the trees at around 5 at night. Other than that, I didn't see any. I walked the property at dif times and never saw any wildlife. The food was over priced as we wound up going to a few local places nearby to eat. You can't even get a cup of coffee to go and the staff is not the friendliest. Would def look for a dif hotel if I ever stayed here again. The room smelled musty and the bed was like sleeping on a rock. Not what it seems like in the pictures. .

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Stayed in this hotel for a couple of nights last month. The hotel is in a good location surrounded by lush trees. The beach is a bit of a walk from the hotel and taking a bus is recommended. The room is decent size and the view from the balcony is amazing. When we got in the room, the AC was leaking. Called the front desk and they sent someone to repair it immediately. Most of the staff was decent and the food was good.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We were looking for a hotel in Manuel Antonio and randomly picked this one. We were surprised and pleased to see how big the room was with windows all around. When you look outside, you feel like you are in the middle of the jungle. There are tons of little monkeys and birds everywhere. Then we could relax in the adult-only pool with an amazing view over the beach. Would go again!

Stayed July 2014
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I would say this is the most romantic and amazing place to stay!!! The view from our third floor room in CVII 12 was of the jungle and the ocean with windows along two entire walls, breathtaking. The staff here was very friendly and helpful, especially Rebecca. They were very helpful in recommending great local places to eat and hang out. They were also very helpful in suggesting where to zip line and other activities. The only complaint I have is the beds were extremely creaky, every time you roll over or any other activity the bed creaks and squeaks very loudly. We were in the adult section and this could cause an annoyance to others. I would still definitely stay here again!!!

Room Tip: If you are going as just adults I would definitely recommend the rooms facing the ocean in CVII.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Very nice size bungaloo with A/C. Outstanding view of Manuel antonio park beach. Decently staffed. Prices during low season are very affordable. Nice pool. Only issue we noticed is a lot of rotten mangos on the ground. Hehe. Would recommend.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family