“Great find for the price. Awesome View” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Costa Verde

You added Hotel Costa Verde to your Saves list
Hotel Costa Verde
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Manuel Antonio Road, Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica   |
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“Great find for the price. Awesome View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We got in to town around 4pm with no reservations anywhere. We stopped at many of the hotels on the main road. It is the slow season and everyone has vacancy. Everyone else gave us a price of $100 to $120 except Costa Verde. The price was $87 a night and we have an incredible view! Big Porch! Rocking chairs, overlooking the ocean! Small kitchen. Big Room. Would be great for a family to stay as well. The breakfast was a decent price and we saw about 5 monkeys while eating. We got scammed by a online tour company who said they "forgot" to place our reservation to go horseback riding. The gentleman at the font desk bent over backwards late in the morning to find us another tour. He did! For the same price we got a private all day horseback riding trip up to a huge private waterfall with the best authentic lunch up in the mountains. The man at reception saved the day for us. I would highly recommend this hotel. It also just makes you "feel" like you are on a Costa Rican vacation!

Room Tip: Ask for at least a "partial view". Even though I think all the rooms have views.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed in March of 2012, and I was compelled to write a review after returning to Costa Rica in May 2013. While we went to the Arenal and Guanacaste regions on our 2nd trip, the entire family missed our trip to Manuel Antonio and the Hotel Costa Verde.

While it is probably a "quaint" property, we definitely felt the pride and desire to protect the resources of Costa Rica much more in the Manuel Antonio region than in the other two regions we visited. We found ourself wishing we were back here instead of at our all-inclusive in Guanacaste.

We haven't found anywhere that offers the opportunity to see so much wildlife in its natural habitat than at Hotel Costa Verde. Monkeys, sloths, toucans, iguanas....on and on. We stayed in the penthouse with no A/C and no TV. It was the best week EVER - we never missed either one! The "open air" shower every morning and evening looking out over the mountains and the ocean gave me a sense of peace I have not found anywhere else.

Make time to walk up and participate in the yoga classes on top of the pagoda a few mornings when you are there - it is an unforgettable experience you will always remember! The hotel staff also booked a canopy tour and a deep sea fishing charter (True Grit) that we regularly still talk about a year later - go with their recommendations.

If you want to truly experience this area of Costa Rica at its purest and most genuine, without being overly commercial, carve out a few days to spend at Hotel Costa Verde!

Room Tip: Penthouse suite was a treat - but very affordable. More monkeys every morning than we could even co...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just amazing! We feel like we were in the jungle. Such a beautiful bayview from our huge terrace... Spacious room, can cook but we didn't. Very good restaurant too with a view. We had breakfast with friends of the jungle. Lot of birds, monkeys and lizards on the site. I'll go again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

ABOUT THE ROOM: We were in Bungalow A-13 and it was roomy and accommodated our group of 4 very well. There is a private bedroom and bath in addition to the main living area. I expected there to be a sofa and chair in the main living area but there were only two beds and the television. The kitchen was well equipped though we never felt the need to cook for ourselves! I don't cook at home I'm certainly not going to do it on vacation! :-)

One thing they don't tell you in the brochure (or on the website) is that you need to be in fairly good shape if you're going to stay in Bungalow A-13. The walk from the lobby (or the pool, or the restaurants, etc.) is all up hill. Not a little tiny bump in the road, but UP HILL! When you get up the hill with your wobbly knees and shortness of breath you still have about 50 or 60 stairs to climb. I was not prepared for that and thought the bungalows that are up that hill should all come with free use of a golf cart or at the very least a donkey. The good news is I definitely improved the definition in my legs after hiking that dang hill three or four times a day for 8 days.

The view from Bungalow A-13 is the surrounding jungle. It's thick and tall so there's no real view of the ocean unless you stand on your tippy toes and look out the window in the shower. But, there are monkey's galore around the bungalow in the early morning and evening and it's very peaceful sitting out on the porch enjoying the sounds of the wild life and watching the monkey's.

Now, on to the bed. Seriously? The beds were extremely hard and uncomfortable. The sheets were rough - felt more like burlap once I received my Costa Rican sunburn - the blanket was itchy. I would have paid extra to have a comfy bed to relax in at the end of our adventure-filled days. These beds are like cement. I couldn't wait to get home to my sleep number! This place could definitely use some memory foam mattress toppers.

THE RESTAURANTS: We found the food to be quite good, but pretty much the same from restaurant to restaurant, though the website says each one is unique. Other than the one with the airplane in it I thought they all pretty much looked the same. The staff was very nice every where we went. We were always greeted immediately and well taken care of.

THE GIFT SHOP: I wish the gift shop attendee was as friendly as the restaurant staff. She seemed more interested in texting and being on her phone than she did in helping us; which probably explains why the two rocking chairs we received this week (ordered from there) were the wrong one's. Obviously, sending them back is not an option since shipping costs were more than the chairs themselves - and we love them regardless, they just aren't the one's we ordered.

THE WALK TO THE BEACH: Don't believe the website when they tell you that they are 300 yards from the beach. They obviously mean "visually." It's actually about a 15 minute walk along the road. Going is okay because it's all down hill (although it gets pretty hot) but coming back is all up hill and after spending the day at the beach the last thing you feel like doing is walking the whole way back to your room up hill. You will want to catch the bus (which runs every 30 mins or less) and costs 60 cents a person to ride.

THE ACTIVITIES: They have a great selection of activities and everyone in our large group of 40 took part in different things. I never heard a single complaint from anyone about any of their adventures. Everyone had a wonderful, wonderful time and we are all talking about going back next year. The front desk staff was wonderful at arranging taxi cabs, shuttle buses, etc.

THE SPA: I have nothing good to say about the spa since in all the 8 days we were there we could not get anyone to show up. They don't take reservations, you just walk down to the "tent" they call a spa and wait ... after waiting for 2 hours we finally figured out they weren't coming. Someone else said they finally ended up getting a massage and that it wasn't that good. So, we ended up having someone from an outside company come to our room. Spa Uno - they were very good! We also got a couple of massages while on the beach. $40 for an hour. It was heavenly getting a massage while listening to the waves crashing on the beach. It's not very private though.

Overall, there is nothing about the Costa Verde that would keep me from going again. I enjoyed everything from the room, to the restaurants to the staff. I wouldn't stay in A-13 again just because they have so many other rooms to choose from that don't require me to hike and have a great view of the ocean - which, being from Arizona, is really important to me. And I might have to buy a hammock when I'm there to hang from the trees outside to get a good nights rest. :-)

Room Tip: If you prefer ocean views, the Bungalow's probably aren't the rooms for you. The rooms over...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel is in Manuel Antonio in a really good area but the rooms are very old, the AC makes a lot of noise, beds and blankets are from the 90's maybe 80's so make the rooms look older! Lots of Mosquitos inside
Rooms are too expensive for what you get!

• Stayed May 2013
Huntington Beach, CA USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This hotel is a mix of bungalows and tiered buildings spread across a steep hillside overlooking the Pacific and Manuel Antonio Park. The location is spectacular, the accommodations eclectic, but the service is inattentive and minimal. If you want ice you'll have to travel to one of the 4 on-site restaurants and request it there - no one will bring it to you. If you want another towel, you'll have to bring your wet one to the office and they'll exchange it. If you want more coffee for your room you'll have to go to the office and buy another bag for the tiny in-room coffeemaker. The staff are friendly and bi lingual, but this ain't the Four Seasons and there isn't a lot of staff wandering the grounds. The rooms are open and airy, and the AC works good, but don't leave anything on a deck as the monkeys will surely steal it. It's a fun place, it's not cheap, but it's not real luxury. Enjoy the view as it's not easily duplicated.

Room Tip: Ask for something that doesn't ajoin the road or is across from an all-night bar/disco. Be read...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I will admit, the views and structure and set up of this place is amazing as it's located basically in the jungle, the airplane, the restaurants surrounding the hotel which are evidently owned by the same person(s) are great too...but if you are anything like me and customer service is number 1...DO NOT STAY HERE. The people at the front desk were extremely inattentive and in my opinion rude. Not warm at all. I had to ask for an Iron twice (evidently there was only one shared among all guests), and when I finally got the iron I was asked to walk it back when I was done with it (up a huge hill as the place is located on a hill). Are you kidding me? Also, upon first arrival the gentleman (or lack thereof) who brought us to our room experienced first hand our lock box was not working appropriately and then never sent someone to fix it. Furthermore, god forbid you ask them any questions, the folks at the front desk would look at you and respond in an aggravating manner. Lastly (yes there is more), we had friends meet us at our hotel in which I told the people at the front desk they would be back and to call us when they arrived, well they never did and were EXTREMELY rude to my friends who had set reservations for us and lost money because of it. I was NOT impressed. Too bad for the lousy customer service as the place is pretty neat. If they were to fire all the front desk staff and hire friendlier people I would come back. These people need serious customer service 101.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Costa Verde? Share your experiences!