“Only so so hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Costa Verde

Save Saved
You added Hotel Costa Verde to your Saves list
Hotel Costa Verde
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Manuel Antonio Road, Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica   |
California
“Only so so hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We were looking for a nice hotel on the beach to end our vacation in Costa Rica. This hotel is surrounded by nature and from our room we could see the ocean. The overall property is really beautiful and clean. The room was very big and its kitchen convenient, well stocked with pots and plates although the stove was barely functioning.

Here is what you need to know about it though: it is far away from the stores and from the beach, i.e. a good 20-30 min walk to the beach on a very uphill road, the hotel doesn't have a shuttle. The pools are small, the hotel nickels and dimes for everything which is most annoying. Here are some examples: you may not take towels to the beach, you can get mats though but only if you get them early, you only have one little shampoo bottle (for 4 people!), you only have one bag of coffee in the room, though you may buy more at their store, and worst of all, you don't have mattress protection between the sheet and the mattress (I ended up asking for extra sheets and redoing the bed). You have to be prepared to walk a lot as the property is on a hill, you walk up and down to go anywhere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

737 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Okeechobee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

My husband and I were married and went to Costa Rica for our honeymoon in June this year. We stayed in the fuselage at Hotel Costa Verde for 8 wonderful days. The hotel offers air cinditioned rooms, housekeeping every day, three on site restaurants which were excellent, three pools, and within walking distance to atm,supermarket, and beach. The staff speaks English and will help you plan any activity you desire and arrange transportation. And when it says it's next to a national park...it's more like it is in a national park. The hotel is in the jungle and the wildlife has free reign. In the fuselage we had views of the ocean off a private deck where monkeys often played. We saw hummingbirds and sloths too! It was amazing! Also, it was very clean everywhere.. not just at the hotel. They're really big on recycling so the roads and beaches were free from debris. But, Costa Rica is a hot place and you will be walking up and down hills so be prepared ...or you can take the bus or a taxi but there are no traffic signs so I found that method very scary. We went during rainy season and it only rained one day. Overall, if you love the outdoors as well as the convenience of a resort this is the place to stay. There is securtity on site if you are worried about safety and a gift shop for the little things you might need so you really don't have to leave the hotel grounds at all if you wish. But, Costa Rica is beautiful so if you're going to stay there, don't miss out!

• Stayed June 2012
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The grounds are very pretty, the whole area is! However we entered our room and all looked at each other like is this it? The property is huge and set up with different cabin type building all with nice views the area, we had no monkeys though near our room! The room itself was good in size, had a mini kitchen and nice balcony very sparse though the big problem was the bugs a lot of ants all over and even a roach! We had also called the front desk to ask for more towels and she advised us we had enough for the 3 of us! we were not in the room long so we sucked it up and dealt but it made for a very uneasy sleep, we were very disappointed because it really looks nice, but definatley not fancy.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

I visited Manuel Antonio Costa with some costa rican friends at the end of 2011. We were looking for some nice looking and good price hotel and we decided to stay at Costa Verde. It was all surrounded by nature, and you can even see the ocean as part of the background picture. It has a few pools, but I think if you go to Manuel Antonio, you are looking to spend your day at beach or walking at national park and then go to a bar. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and with a small refrigerator. The people were nice and the service was good. The food was also good but not great. In my opinion, Recomended for people who is looking for some rest after a long journey, share with friends a night swimming and go back to action next day. (just spend the night). It was a very nice stay and i should be happy to visit it again.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I really enjoyed the Costa Verde, it's not fancy but its clean, the staff are friendly and the view from my room was fantastic. It's close enough to the beach to walk (10 min). I had an ocean and pool view room, it had a small kitchenette, which was great to have. In the morning there were dozens of monkeys hanging in the trees right by our patio. I will say the beds were a bit hard, but acceptable. There are a few restaurants within walking distance, owned by the hotel. We only ate at the cantina across the street and it was pretty good. The best part was the live music.
I don't think you can go too far wrong with this hotel. We got a very good discount by paying cash, I don't know if that's the norm but it worked for us! I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I only saw the room I had on the third floor of the ocean and pool view adult only building, if you...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Let me begin by saying Manuel Antonio is a beautiful area with many activities for tourists. My family's recent trip was to attend my cousin's wedding.

However, our forgettable stay began with our arrival. We did not receive a call from the Hotel stating that our uncle had already arrived at the hotel (prior to our arrival). We had awaited 90 minutes airport curbside for him. When we were an hour and a half into our drive into Manuel Antonio, our driver received a call that oops, our uncle had been at the hotel since 1pm. Thus there was no need for us to wait. Second, my cousin was assured a child carseat for her two year old son for our transportation from the airport to the hotel. None was provided. Third, our room was to be an air conditioned room. We arrived to find to trek up a hill (with a 2 year old) and steep stairs to a musty room. This was in contrast to my uncle's room (on the adult side) where the room was fully air conditioned. Fourth, our bathroom didn't have a glass window to close in the evening but a screen. Thus the humidity remained and the insects roamed the bathroom throughout our stay. Fifth, there was construction at the adjacent room along with the noise that accompanied it. Sixth, our room lost water pressure twice. And for two days (we stayed 4 nights) our toilet and showers malfunctioned. We had no warm water or no water at all. Seventh, my cousin had emergency money that was removed from her luggage. Finally, our family in general enjoyed the wedding site and reception that was held at Costa Verde. But we encountered some employees that were close to rude to our family. One in fact who hurried my aunt about a food item and rushed off. But I did notice that if you tip the employees they are much kinder and even place a smile on their face. One employee in fact told my aunt that he was not paid by the hour but was paid through customer tips. Why would you even discuss that? And be aware that an automatic 10% tip is added to all restaurant bills- La Anaconda, El Avion, La Cantina and Wagon. And customers are always encouraged to add more.

The positive aspects of this hotel would be
1)location and view beautiful
2)affiliated restaurants were great
3)alcoholic beverages were very good.
4) seeing monkeys was a treat for my nephew and family

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

The superior room in the adult section of the hotel had a great view of the beach even though it was considered a "partial ocean view". The kitchenette with full size fridge was sufficiently stocked and very handy. The beds were comfortable and big enough for two people. The shower had hot water but only medium pressure. The balcony was big with table and chairs.

the staff was ok. Not overly helpful. They did not offer to carry my heavy luggage up the stairs to the room. They did not explain what was available at the hotel. I learned later that there was a swim up bar? The restaurant closed early (before 9pm) but there is another one across the street.

The wifi in the room was strong enough, but was knocked out during a storm one night. The electricity did stay on during the storm and there were candles in the room.

Overall, I would recommend the hotel. Good room and location. The staff arranged tours. The room was very comfortable.

Room Tip: Superior room is good. The partial ocean view seems like a full view to me. The beds are big enough...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Costa Verde? Share your experiences!