“Monkey business with safe” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Byblos Resort & Casino

Save Saved
You added Byblos Resort & Casino to your Saves list
Byblos Resort & Casino
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Km. 4 Carretera Principal de Manuel Antonio, Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
50% off room rate
PNW
“Monkey business with safe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

For the most part we enjoyed our stay at Byblos. The resort setting is quite nice. We had a warm and friendly check-in. Property is well maintained and is clean. We ate at both the sports bar and the restaurant and food was quite tasty. We had numerous monkey sightings and got glimpses of other animals as well. Sports bar had nightly events and Karoke night on Friday was a lot of fun.

The only issue we had was with the room safe. On day three we noticed that some of the money kept in the safe was missing. Not everything was taken but 50% of the cash was missing. There were no signs of any break-in and nothing else including passports were taken. We brought it to the attention of the front desk and they said they have strict procedures in place. They asked if we wanted to call the police. We were getting ready to leave and we did not have any concrete proof. Maybe it is a single rogue employee but be warned about keeping cash in the room safe.

Room Tip: Falafal bar is walking distance from the hotel and is fantastic. We also spent quite a bit on an e...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

325 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
orlando
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This place is tucked into the edge of the jungle with lots of tropical vegetation and wildlife. That was my favorite part of the stay. Our room was OK, but not very convenient. The Wifi didn't work in the room, so I had to go to a public area to connect. There were so many steep steps that I had to plan my trips outside of the room to avoid too many trips. The pool was lovely. We watched a sloth go up the tree next to the pool and then stay there for the days we were there. The bar was OK, and the bartender was great! He was generous with his drink size, and he was anxious to please. The casino no longer exists, but one night there was a karaoke party which was a lot of fun. We tried to eat in the restaurant one night, but they said they couldn't serve us due to two large groups with reservations. There were plenty of tables, but that didn't seem to matter. After explaining to them that we were hotel guests, they finally agreed to make us something to take back to our room! The jungle feeling was wonderful, but the whole experience was not up to par.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the fewest steps!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Pizza pizza pizza...fabulouso! Pepperoni , Margareta, Canadian bacon with pineapple ..compresso salad ...to name just a few of the wonderful choices! From pool side to table! The food was always great! A wonderful time was had by all!

• Stayed May 2014
None
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Don't ask for anything beyond your key. We had to beg for an extra towel. Desk staff are in a coma. They were no help getting reservations or anything.

Poolside bar/restaurant staff are great.

I would not recommend this hotel.

The location is great but cheerless staff are disappointing.

Stayed June 2014
HotelByblos, Owner at Byblos Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Mbeckom,
Thank you for your recent stay at Byblos Resort and for taking the time to post your positive comments about our poolside and restaurant staff, and our location. I regret that you had an unfortunate experience with one of our reception staff in the course of making your reservation and getting an extra towel. We generally enjoy excellent feedback about our friendly employees and reception staff ,which in most cases receives high marks from other guests.
However, we will definitely review the circumstances of your experience and do whatever we can to see that every guest feels attended to in the manner that they deserve. If you have any other details to share that would be helpful, please feel free to contact me directly (davis@bybloshotelcostarica.com) or our Reception Supervisor via our website.
I hope you will reconsider a return visit to our establishment so we will have a chance to make it up to you. If that interests you, please do not hesitate to contact me as mentioned above.
Davis Henley
Hotel Byblos Resort
Owner
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I am writing this as quickly as I can right after the incident so it is fresh in my mind. My wife and I are traveling throughout Costa Rica after living at a resort in La Fortuna for the last few months. We will be heading back to the United States in August. We have our little chihuahua with us and we came here as it is a "pet friendly" establishment. We are very courteous to others who may not like dogs, so we sat across the pool away from everyone near the so-called restaurant. Victor came over after we had been there earlier and told us the only place our little well behaved, unnoticeable, dog could be was in the room. Oh, you mean the room with the broken AC, overflowing toilet and no internet or TV access. We were told that all the systems were down but the so called restaurant had TV. I have just asked Victor for 2 cups of ice and I graciously said thank you and he gave the plastic cups to me with an arrogant shrug. This man can ruin a place of business and the way he treated me and my wife, the management needs to do something with him, for your sake not mine.Never have I ever felt so strongly about writing a review to help the management rid itself of such inappropriate behavior from an employee.We will probably never come to Manuel Antonio ever again, not because of this incident, just because we do not care for this area........I wish I could leave after the first night but they will not refund my cash payment.....STAY AWAY until they discipline this employee.

Room Tip: Bungalows with stagnate water or ones with absolutely no view, you choose!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelByblos, Owner at Byblos Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Jaimie A,
Our highest priority is the satisfaction of our guests, so it was with a heavy heart that I read your review. As a secondary matter we love dogs, and other animals, and enjoying having them on the property. The hotel staff is a heavy supporter of the local organization, PAWS, that provides temporary foster homes, as well as spay and neuter clinics for unwanted dogs and cats in our area, so we do consider ourselves very pet friendly.
Having personally taken many car trips with my Australian Cattle Dog, I know it can be tricky finding adequate facilities when traveling with a pet. Unfortunately, it pains me to admit that despite the fact that Costa Rica has historically been pet friendly, the local Ministry of Health has just recently started a rather over zealous campaign to enforce new regulations about having pets in public areas of local businesses. Therefore, I hope you will try to understand that we were only following the recent regulations now being strictly enforced for unknown reasons in our general area.
More distressing is to hear that you feel you were treated rudely by our employee. Please know that we will discuss this matter with Victor, who having been a long time staff member, will certainly be equally distressed to hear about the impression that he created, and how upset you were as a result of your interaction with him. I'm sure this will help him to handle this and/or other matters more diplomatically with guests in the future.
Please know that I am available by email at davis@bybloshotelcostarica.com should you choose to contact me directly with any additional feedback or concerns, as I do personally want all our guests to have a positive experience while at our hotel.
Many, many people do love the Manuel Antonio area, it is the #1 visited park in all of Costa Rica, and I hope that your position about revisiting Byblos and the general area softens with time. If so, please know that we would welcome the opportunity to host you again and to be part of a more positive experience for you.
Davis Henley,
Hotel Byblos Resort
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Rooms were large with small bathroom. Hotel shows some wear but makes up for it in ambience.
Staff is friendly and responsive to needs. Breakfast has many choices and served in beautiful outdoor setting next to pool. Monkeys entertain most evenings. I have recommended this hotel to a friend and would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

What a nice place! more then what we expected - there is no casino but for that I will go to Las Vegas, Rooms were clean and breakfast great - did I mention it was free! yea it was. The staff very friendly - Very top notch, lots of noise, who can can control the howling monkeys when you are almost in the jungle (very cooool).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Byblos Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!