“Great Stay - (you'll seee monkeys)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Byblos Resort & Casino

You added Byblos Resort & Casino to your Saves list
Byblos Resort & Casino
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Km. 4 Carretera Principal de Manuel Antonio, Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica   |
Stanhope
“Great Stay - (you'll seee monkeys)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Melissa was great and the entire staff tried hard to keep us happy. Take the bus to get wherever, it's .50 and gets you anywhere and runs frequently. Good breakfast, take advantage of buying an extra fruit platter for only $2 great snack to take back to the room for later.
Walk to the coffee shop Malangro check out he carrot cake and the coffee and the falafel place across the street (great food, good price). We saw lot's of monkeys on the grounds great viewing from our room.

Room Tip: Bungalow is the way to go. Stayed in room 4 probably the best location. Bungalow 2 looked like a goo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Dubuque, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

The rainforest provides a beautiful backdrop to this hotel, and the property is situated so that it blends seamlessly with the landscape. We stayed here for 3 nights, and we saw a group of monkeys in trees right next to the balcony. We also saw other wildlife, including an unusual animal that we could not identify.

The hotel has no elevator, but a staff member assisted us with carrying our bags up the stairs. There are a LOT of stairs here (the restaurant is down below by the pool, so you need to go down in order to eat). This wasn't a problem for us, and we enjoyed looking at the variety of plants along the way. Rooms were spacious and clean. The restaurant is open-air next to the pool, a nice relaxing place for breakfast. We were given a menu with various breakfast options, from heavier meals with eggs and rice & beans to the lighter fruit & granola.

Most of the hotels for Manuel Antonio are situated on the hillside next to the beach, so you do not have an ocean view. The Byblos does, however, have nice scenery because of the rainforest behind the hotel. If you walk a block downhill, there's a bus stop where you can catch a bus to the beach (or to Quepos, going the other direction) for about 60 cents if you don't want to walk (it's about 45 minutes to the public beach). You could also take a taxi, which always seem to be available.

The staff at the hotel were professional, but perhaps less personal than other places. This is understandable given the high amount of tourism here. We did have one issue regarding the service-- there were only 2 towels in our room, although there were 3 of us. We requested another towel and were told that one would be brought in. We left and returned hours later, but still no towel. After spending the day at the beach, we all needed to shower. We asked again and were told that they could not get one at that time, which seemed really odd. Perhaps an isolated incidence, but I did deduct a star for this reason. Otherwise, I would recommend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I selected this hotel because of the reviews that i read about the abundance of wild life close by. When we checked in, I asked if we could see the monkeys from our room, and was told that most of the monkeys and sloths had migrated into the Manual Antoino state park at this time. I was disappointed by that response. But my biggest disappointment was the path that we had to take to get to our room. From the hotel check in location, we had to go down about 20+ steps to get to the landing where the restaurant/pool area was. (where the complimentary breakfast was also served). THen we went around the pool and down about 10 more steps. Then we walked across a bridge where a small creek ran below us, then up about 8 steps on the other side. Then we walked about 10 feet and up 7 more steps to the door to our room. The hotel provided someone to carry our luggage to our room which I would never have been able to do on my own.

The room was a descent size with a very small refrigerator and an old fashion microwave. The bathroom fixtures were outdated. THe balcony had a table and chairs which would allow you to eat a meal or snack out there. To prove that there was still wildlife around, I was awaken in the middle of the night by a repeated animal screech somewhere within 30-50 feet of my room.

The hotel staff spoke English well, and Juan Carlos was very helpful. The breakfast was cook to order from a few items on the menu. This was somewhat of a disappointment because I had just come from a hotel that had a full breakfast buffet.

I would not suggest this hotel for someone who may have problems walking.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Astoria, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I had an amazing time staying at the Byblos Hotel. The staff was very friendly, the rooms were clean, and the food at the hotel restaurant was amazing! We had our own bungalow which really gave us the real jungle experience. Throughout the day I always saw monkeys and other animals on site at the hotel. We were never bothered by other guests staying at the hotel. All together it was very peaceful and relaxing to stay there. The hotel concierge was great and set up all of our excursions for the week. I would definitely recommend for other people to stay here. It isn't your typical fancy exotic resort, but it is great for the money we paid. I honestly had no complaints, the only people I can imagine who would... would be high maintenance individuals ;)

Room Tip: I would recommend staying in their bungalows for the REAL jungle vibe!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Well, OK: the title may sound too good to be true. Nevertheless, quite frankly, the only slight I can find in this beautiful, flawlessly managed resort is the occasional noise coming at night from the nearby disco-bar. Nothing that prevented me from enjoying a fantastic 2-day stay, which retrospectively I wish I could have prolonged.

This resort has it all: very professional, really friendly staff (notably, but not solely, Juan Carlos); crystal-clean swimming pool area with sun-loungers, overlooked by the restaurant / bar section, where you can enjoy the monkeys amusingly playing with each other; very large and tidy stand-alone wooden cabin with couched terrace, powerful ceiling ventilator fan, A/C, filter coffee machine, TV, working wi-fi, safe-box and a REALLY comfy queen-size bed. Local amenities are all within reach, either by the local frequent bus service or on foot (e.g. playa Biesanz). I can't believe this is just a ***-rated resort!

I do most definitely see myself returning to Byblos next time I drop by the wonderful Costa Rica.

Room Tip: All cabins looked pretty nice to me.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Wake Forest, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I can't count how many reviews I have read here about Byblos (pronounced Bee-Blose) but overall, they're pretty accurate. We stayed in the bungalows which is a must. We never were bothered by any noise in our bungalow which was very roomy, clean, and nestled in the jungle. The place is very tropical and pleasant. Yes, there are a bunch of steps everywhere you go, but that is the case most places around here. The general area is very hilly. The staff was super friendly and for the most part, spoke good English. It is a very good central location for the area restaurants and beaches. I highly recommend the beaches at Manuel Antonio and especially Playa Biesanz which are both close, but drive being its very steep one way with either. The food was ok, We ate the standard "Typical" breakfast but did not eat any other meals. The bar and casino were fun and the mix of patrons were fun and friendly. The pool area is beautiful and the monkeys do come everyday. I would definitely recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Stay in the Bungalows!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Courtenay, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

bed bugs, ants in coffee cups, and all over the shower, staff that doesnt understand english, worst casino ever. Far from a resort.
This place couldve completely ruined my trip.
Do not recommend, not even to my worst enemy.

Room Tip: Just dont go there. i couldve add pictures, but im pretty sure you wouldnt want to see it. Just dont...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Byblos Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!