“....Sanctuary.....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Byblos Resort & Casino

You added Byblos Resort & Casino to your Saves list
Byblos Resort & Casino
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Km. 4 Carretera Principal de Manuel Antonio, Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica   |
Quepos, Costa Rica
“....Sanctuary.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Recently, I had a wonderful stay at
Byblos. I've come to Costa Rica with my dog and we needed a place for a few days.
There doesn't seem to be many hotels that take dogs. What good fortune to find Byblos listed with Hotels.com.
U
Melissa at the front desk arranged a ride from the airport in San Jose at literally the last moment. A nice man named Victor who was taking dinner home to his wife. Our bungalow was exceptionally lovely. Pure luxury for weary travelers. My favourite was the beautiful patio overlooking a bubbling stream. Quite the welcome to Costa Rica. Breakfast was included and delicious. Try the Bill-Fish salad in the bar...it is truly a marriage of lovely flavour. Byblos also has a variety of amazing live music and activities most nights. And the best thing??? My dog Lilly was welcome at all. In the restaurant, the bar and the gardens.
I saw monkeys cavorting about the pool during the day and apparently they sleep in the palms at night. That's the life!!! They know what's going on...

I needed to find a place to rent....I had a few leads but finding one that takes dogs can be complicated. Juan Carlos at the desk helped me find an apartment.
So really...the staff at Byblos not only gave me a great hotel stay...they helped me start a new life in Costa Rica. And it was agreeable to my budget....that's a 5-star resort...by my book!!!

Room Tip: ...stay in one of the bungalows...they are quiet during the day...and you can open the door to the p...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
DavisFromAustin, Owner at Byblos Resort & Casino, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Alinor777,
It was a pleasure meeting you! Thank you for your kind comments, and welcome to the area. We and the Byblos staff look forward to seeing you around town, at the restaurant or Billfish Sports Bar, or feel free to just stop in and say hello!
Pura vida,
Davis Henley (owner) and Melissa Guevara (Guest Services)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Lakewood, oh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

The service and compassion we received at Byblos single-handedly inspired me to review Byblos. In a country full of caring, fun-loving and beautiful people there is a person who stands above the rest - MELISSA. She will ensure that your stay and everything attached to it is positive and memorable.

Thank you Melissa! You are a tremendous asset to Byblos and a wonderful person.

Anyone visiting Quepos or Manuel Antonio should spend a few nights at Byblos in the bungalows. Other reviewers go into further detail, but its a grand experience and I cannot say enough good things about this hotel.

Room Tip: The bungalows are unique and unforgettable.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Zephyrhills, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My daughter & I were given an upgrade to one of the bungalows. It was great, a little dated but still nice. Loved the balcony and L-shape chaise. It was nice to sit out there at night and listen to the sounds of the frogs and creek running through the property. We had a nice view of the pool and restaurant from our balcony. Front desk was very helpful in getting us excursions set up and taking luggage to room (there are a lot of steps to climb to get to the bungalows). Casino is real small, not like we would expect here in the states, but its ok. Both restaurants were good and the one upstairs always had some type of entertainment. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you don't mind climbing a lot of steps the bungalows are worth getting. Otherwise, I would g...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
seattle, washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on vacation and booked one of the bungalows. We were first placed in a bungalow (#7). We discovered that night that the bungalow had no hot water, there were some leaks in the bathroom ceiling. The phone in the room was very cheap and would lose connection. We would have to shake the phone in order to get a dial tone to call the front desk. The bathroom sink was a bit old with some of the paint chipping.

To be fair, the leaks were not bad and it was indeed the rainy season, so it is to be expected.

We stayed in Bungalow #7 overnight in hopes that the on-demand hot water would be available in the morning. However, our bungalow never had hot water. We would turn on the faucet or shower and there would be 30 seconds of hot water, and then it ran cold.

Byblos does have good customer service and when we called the front desk to advise about the hot water issue and they moved us to another bungalow immediately.

Bungalow #5 was heaven! Hot water, updated bathroom, no leaks, phone that worked.
Once we were moved, all of our expectations for our room were met.

Byblos Resort is located within walking distance to restaurants, bars, as well as the bus to go into the town of Quepos. Both restaurants at the hotel were good (actually really yummy pizza). The hotel was great in suggesting things for us to do and had a great map that helped us locate everything easily.

Breakfast was included and was tasty. Davy the bartendar was really nice and friendly.

My husband was happy there was the Bilfish Sportsbar onsite as he was able to catch up on his football games! This bar is a local hangout and it does get loud at night. You are able to hear music from this bar in your bungalow. Didn't bother us, but could be a problem for others.

We did enjoy our stay there once we were moved to the new bungalow.

Room Tip: Bungalow #5 is fabulous! Do NOT pick bungalow #6 or #7 as they share on-demand hot water and you may...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
DavisFromAustin, Owner at Byblos Resort & Casino, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
We would like to take a moment to thank these travelers for their candid review of Hotel Byblos and their kind understanding of some of the inconvenient issues we occasionally experience during our Costa Rica rainy season. We sincerely apologize for the oversights you experienced in your first room and are pleased our staff was quick to move you to a room that met the normal high standards we expect for our guests. Thanks to your helpful feedback, we have since changed the scratchy phone line, installed a new independent water heater to your room (no longer shared with another room), as well as adjusted the roofing to avoid further leaks that sometimes are present after workers have been up there removing leaves and other debris that fall in the rainforest. With the help of our valued guests, Byblos continues to strive to always meet your expectations and we genuinely look forward to hosting not only you, but your friends, family and all other travelers seeking an affordable jungle getaway in fabulous Manuel Antnonio, Costa Rica in the very near future!
Pura vida, Davis Henley
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We didn't stay at the hotel, but did visit the casino and bar a few times. Great place that locals hang out at - good music, fun atmosphere, decent bar food. Highly recommended for a fun night out! The casino has a bunch of fun games, and there are also a few slot machines and pool tables.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

This was a fantastic hotel, I loved it to bits. I had one of the bungalows in the rainforest, and had monkeys running around on the roof. It may. It sound it, but it was pretty cool.

Staff were exceptional, very friendly and accommodating.

The food was magnificent. Best fish I have ever had in my life. Of course it depends on when they got their fish. One say it was obviously fresh the same day. Two days later it was obvious our appetizer fish was from a few days ago, but thankfully our main course fish was so fresh a skilled veterinarian could have brought it back to life.

One day my buddy and I went fishing and brought back our catch which for a few dollars cooked it up four different ways and we had a huge feast with some friends we made down there.

The bar was quite busy at night, lots of people having a good time, and we loved it, and I know I would go back in a heart beat

Room Tip: Get a bungalow, they were great!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
DavisFromAustin, Owner at Byblos Resort & Casino, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Dear James,
Thank you for your kinds words. Happy guests make us happy! The menu’s, kitchens and administration of our restaurants have undergone quite a bit of change this summer and we are proud of the result. We wish you the best in all your travels and hope to see you back at Byblos.
Kind Regards, Davis Henley
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed three nights here and had a fantastic and enjoyable time. I felt that my rental vehicle was safe in their parking lot.
The room was comfortable with a fridge and microwave. Very cozy.
Lots of plant-life and tall trees on the property which attracted wildlife. Nice stream that flowed through the resort. This was perfect environment in which to see the frogs and harmless snakes if you wanted to walk about and peer in the plants at night-- lots of nocturnal nightlife in CR.
I loved the breakfast--especially the burritos. Nice pool but cool and no one seemed to be swimming. They were probably at one of the lovely beaches just down the road at manuel Antonio Park until dark. 50 cents will get you close to the entrance in less than 10 minutes.
I liked the fact that they had a bar with free pool tables and entertainment.
Happy hour offered BOGO free mojitos for $7 that were way watered down. Just stick with the beer and you will be happy.
Overall, a very clean safe place to stay.

Room Tip: The higher up you are the more monkeys you will see early in the morning and late afternoon. Or you...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Byblos Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!