“Amazing views, very good penthouse room, beautiful pool area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Mansion Inn

Save Saved
You added La Mansion Inn to your Saves list
La Mansion Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   P.O. Box 380, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
Special Price
20% off room rate
New York City, New York
“Amazing views, very good penthouse room, beautiful pool area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at La Mansion for 4 nights. The hotel is nicely situated within the Manuel Antonio area. The hotel is perched high on a cliff, which offers sweeping views of the Pacific and Manuel Antonio. Upon checking in, the hotel upgraded us to a better penthouse room. Also, we arrived by rental car from Adobe and needed to return it to Quepos. Within minutes, the front desk arranged for the rental car to be picked up at the hotel instead of us having to return it. After having spent several hours in the car, it was great to have this taken care of. We stayed in Penthouse #4. The room is spacious with a "living room area" that has a sofa and TV and a bedroom area where the bed is. There is also a table and chairs for 2 should you want to eat in the room. The thing that makes the room are the windows that span the length of the walls allowing for the amazing ocean and forest views. The bathroom was large, with a large shower and tub. The shower did splash out a bit onto the floor causing us to have to put towels on the ground around the tub. However, there never was any flooding as commented on by other reviewers. The room also had a balcony with 2 lounge chairs. The room overall was really great. However, there were a couple of kinks like no wi-fi in the room (works great in the lobby though) and once or twice where the cold water seemed to be lacking (The water seemed to correct itself after a little bit.). I also wish the room had a full length mirror in addition to the mirror in the room. However, none of these things had a negative impact on our stay.
The pool area is stunning and I concur with other reviewers who said they could sit there all day and soak in the scenery. The swim-up bar was always staffed during its open hours and was a great feature while lounging poolside.
The hotel staff was very helpful in booking tours, arranging taxis and helping us with our bags. The breakfasts and lunches were good and included in our room rate. We chose to eat out for dinner with many good restaurants a short taxi ride away. Overall, the staff at the front desk, the bar and food areas were always very friendly and helpful. It was clear they wanted us to have a great stay (and we did!). The hotel offers free shuttles to the beach, although we never used them. There were also a few sightings of monkeys, iguanas, a sloth and a crab on or in viewing distance from the property. If staying in the Manuel Antonio area, La Mansion is a great choice in accommodations, location and service. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family.

Room Tip: Depending on which room you stay in, there could be several staircases and hallways to walk down in...

703 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed at La Mansion Inn during the second weekend of March, and enjoyed it very much. It's a small hotel, but every room seems to have a great view of the ocean. If you head up to the pool and patio area, you'll see 360 degrees of spectacular views of the area.

A couple of downsides, for me at least: They don't have a buffet breakfast, instead you order off the menu, and it's all complementary. Also, if you have a rental car, the driveway and small parking area are very hard to maneuver. In fact, the whole Quepos/Manuel Antonio area seems to have a cramped feel.

Otherwise, the staff is very attentive and the rooms were very clean.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room but still had an excellent view of the ocean.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
La_Mansion_Inn1, Owner at La Mansion Inn, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your comments both positive and constructive. we are always interested in the feedback of our guests as our goal is to make decisions that manage to please the majority of tourists that pass through our hotel. As I'm sure you are aware it is always impossible to please everybody, however we love the challenge of trying!
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently spend a week and a half at La Mansion Inn. We are from Canada, and have previously travelled extensively through Central America and Costa Rica.
Overall we both loved it here. We arrived late one evening, so unfortunately did not receive a welcome tour. We stayed in one of the deluxe rooms here. We had an AMAZING view of the Manuel Antonio Beach, and tons of space to relax outside with our own private lawn and covered deck area- perfect for reading and relaxing. Our room was quite spacious with a comfortable king-sized bed. Bathroom was also nice and big. Air conditioner worked well-- definitely need it in this climate if you are not use to the hot weather!! We also had a small fridge that was alright, but a little bit smelly and leaky.
The pool area was quite nice- we usually went in the morning and had the whole pool to ourselves! Perfect for suntanning and reading. There is also a jacuzzi- which we used after it had cooled down in the evenings (but the temp of the water is not too hot)-- a bit messy with leaves from the surrounding plants, but it was nice to have.
My favorite part of the hotel was the amazing skydeck near the pool area--- wow!! Amazing views and a great place to relax. It was never crowded. It is also a nice place to watch the sunrise.
In terms of the food- breakfast is included. We tried many things on the menu and all were delicious!! My favorite was the gallo pinto. The waiters were very friendly, and tried to remember how you wanted your coffee. Again, the views were stunning!! We didn't try the dinners-- we wanted to explore more authentic places in Quepos and Manuel Antonio area, and we had a car, so it was easy to get out.
Wifi is available all over the hotel- did not really work in our room, but excellent speed outside as well as in the breakfast area, so great for catching up on emails and such.

The hotel is close to a smaller beach (Playa Biesanz) about a 15 min walk. There is hardly anyone else there, but it was quite rocky. You are also a short drive to the main beach, which is fantastic! There is also a shuttle that runs a few times per day starting at 9 am, but we found it easier to just drive ourselves, as we could have more flexibility.
You are quite close to everything, but the road that runs through Quepos to Manuel Antonio is still about a 10-15 min walk up a very winding road- that we felt was a bit dangerous to be walking on in the dark at night in case a car couldn't see us. We did have a rental car for the time there, but I think many people just used cabs and had no trouble.
You are very close to many activities- surfing, white water rafting, sunset sailing tours, etc. We booked these tours ourselves after doing some research on which companies we wanted to use, but the hotel was helpful in answering our questions and such.

I did not see any monkeys here during our stay, but did see a sloth and many lizards!

Now onto customer service... Overall, 95% of the staff working here were FANTASTIC! So helpful, always asked us how our trip was going, offering directions, ordering in food when the hotel restaurant was closed for the night etc.
HOWEVER, there was one gentleman who worked at the front desk who was always quite rude towards us. He would give us one-word answers when we asked questions (he spoke perfectly fluent English; there was no language barrier), and scowled at us when we asked if we could have beach towels. He also asked for our keys the minute we walked in the door one evening (no greeting, no hello, no hola, nothing), and when we asked why, he said "To fix the awful parking".
Unfortunately, he was working at the front desk the morning we checked out. Our travel plans had changed due to a cancelled flight, so we had to leave to San Jose a day earlier than originally planned. We knew that we would have to forfeit the money paid for the night, but we had no choice as our flight was very early in the AM. We told several of the other workers 4 nights prior that we planned to check out a day early, and even our sever at breakfast knew that it was our last day. When we got down to the front desk (after this worker watched my boyfriend and I struggle to carry our suitcases down the stairs), he said sternly, "Why are you leaving today, you didn't inform us, you are supposed to leave tomorrow." We are unsure why he was so angry at us, as we didn't even ask for a refund for our night (as it was booked through expedia), and we explained this to him.
Then, he gave us a receipt for the extra taxes that are not included in the breakfast (you must pay the service tax, which works out to be about $2 a day)- they give you a receipt daily and you simply sign it and pay at the end. We discovered that there were a couple days in which we were charged an "extra tip" in the amount of 4 USD in addition the regular tax (hospedaje). We did not put this on our bill (there is an extra space if you wish to add this extra tip). So we were a bit disturbed that this may have been added by one of the breakfast servers AFTER we had signed it. When we asked about it at checkout, we were abruptly told, "It's an extra tip. You added it. You probably forgot." We weren't prepared to argue over a few dollars, so we let it go.
We were also asked to fill out a paper review of the hotel on checkout, so I did this while my boyfriend loaded up all of our luggage into our car. NO OFFER from this worker to help load our many suitcases or even an offer to hold open the door.
I had the feeling the worker was looking over my review as I filled it out. Then, after I finished it, I handed it to him, and told him that I really enjoyed my stay here, and that the hotel was excellent. He frowned at me, and said "I need your credit card again".
NO "thank you for staying, hope you return" that we received from the other staff.

So overall, we had a great stay here, but it is unfortunate we had such a bad check-out experience as this really tainted our stay at La Mansion Inn.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
La_Mansion_Inn1, Owner at La Mansion Inn, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
My heartfelt apologies for the terrible check-out experience and just as an FYI, I did convene a meeting immediately to discuss the 5% of your constructive criticism with the entire front desk staff. As you can see by other comments these are not the usual check-out procedures that we have gotten accustom to here at the La Mansion Inn. Our front desk staff usually receives commendations and even some raves for their professionalism. As a little compensation for this embarrassment, allow me to invite your back to the La Mansion for a complimentary two-night stay and to show you that we have dealt with your observations effectively and professionally. There is no excuse for this behaviour on the part of my staff.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Amazing views from this hotel. We could just sit on the balcony or in the pool for hours. We booked specials through trip advisor and got a deep discount with breakfast included. The staff was very friendly and when we found out that they threw away soda bottles that we were saving for our daughter that collects them, they dug through their trash to retrieve them. Loved the service at check in with the tour and fruit drinks by the pool. I didn't have much fun trying to drive our car up and down their tight windy driveway, but it was well worth the pain. Would absolutely go there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Before I begin to tell you how spectacular this place is, I must apologize for not specifically thanking each person by name. I did write it down but the paper got wet. Hence, to the staff at the front desk, the bell boys, the restaurant staff, the cleaning staff, the pool people, housekeeping. To all the staff, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. You were critical to making our stay so utterly magnificent.
We went the end of February for my sons wedding. We were 13 people plus a toddler and an enfant. We covered the age rainbow in ages from 5 months to 86 years. Everyone had a wonderful time. Our group would walk around saying "we're clearly in heaven". Yes, the beach is beautiful, our rooms spectacular, the views, magnificent, the wildlife, restaurant, walks, everything simply tantalized every atom in your body.
If you chose to look at the view, read a book, engage in activity, you were guaranteed a wonderful, blissful experience.
Would I go back, OH YESSSSS!!!
There is nothing more that you could ask for, there is nothing more that you would want.
Given the wide age range, we were expecting some challenges. Not even. The only hurdle we had was that our travel agent neglected to tell the hotel that we would require a crib. Since the hotel is not exactly geared to children, the called and called to get us a crib. Within an hour, we had one in the room, set up with baby sleeping soundly.
The staff here could write the book highlighting Customer Service. They eat it, breath it and live it. Friendly, efficient, courteous, professional. They are a perfect example of people who take pride in their work to make sure that the customer has the best possible experience.
Again, i apologize for not remembering everones names. To the manager and owner, you have a lot to be proud of - your staff reflects outstanding levels of customer service.
Now, the rooms. - okay, it comes down to budget, either way, you will not be disappointed. We had 4 regular rooms which were huge and all had their own private garden patio. We also had Penthouse 4 which included a glass wall that over looked lush vegetation and the pacific ocean. In addition, room #12 (i think). Recently renovated and geared to the needs of someone in a wheelchair ---OMG, chandeliers, dining room with normal size fridge, washroom the size of some bedrooms, balcony overlooking vegetation and a the entrance (my room). Well WOW!!!
Now, the patio. This is where the wedding took place. side - side Pacific Ocean, Front back, flowers, wildlife, lush colorful vegetation under a sun screen to protect our delicate skin.
To put this place in simple terms, a must for your bucket list.
Everyone was very very happy - thank you to everyone for making our stay so unforgettable.

Room Tip: cannot comment about fitness and childrens activities. fitness comes from walking around, the beach...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
I would just like to let you know that Trip Advisor Reviews usually do not make me cry, however this one did. These are the type of reviews that I hope that every small hotel owner receives because these type of comments makes being in the difficult hospitality business completely worth while. I look forward to seeing you again soon at La mansion Inn.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Over the course of the years, I have said just about everything I can about La Mansion. And every year, they do something to make it better. The setting is gorgeous, the rooms are comfortable and clean with great views, the food is good, the service is excellent, but most of all the staff is incredible. I'm disappointed when some of my favorites move on, but there are always new, equally friendly and attentive, replacements. Don't visit La Mansion if you are looking for the latest appointments, the amenities, or the sterility of a chain resort. You are likely, for example, to have a gecko visit your room. Do visit if you want to experience all that coastal Costa Rica has to offer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Canyon Lake, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We spent from March 2-8, 2013, at this small but very nice hotel. Its an adult only property and only has 22 rooms. The staff is very attentive and can handle any activity you want to book. Costa Rica Tours handled out trip and it went without a hitch. We were met at the airport in San Jose and walked thru and into a air conditioned new van. Delivered to our hotel with a stop for lunch along the way. We were picked up on time for every activity. Costa Rica tours arranged for us a flight from the Quepos airstrip back to San Jose. That was a little scarey but we made it.

Room Tip: WE heard from several people who were staying at the Mariposa that it was wonderful.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to La Mansion Inn? Share your experiences!