“My sixth visit” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Mansion Inn

You added La Mansion Inn to your Saves list
La Mansion Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   P.O. Box 380, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“My sixth visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I've seen some mixed and even negative reviews about La Mansion, but they all suggest the reviewers missed the opportunity to relax and enjoy and had unrealistic expectations. This is a beach town in the tropics, with all that entails. The staff is an exemplar of all that is good about Ticos, friendly and willing to go our of their way to make you comfortable. In six years, I have never had reason to complain about service. If you want all the amenities of a major chain resort, forget it, but that is not why you come to Manuel Antonio. Good restaurant and quick access to others close by. All for a reasonable price. I will be back in 2011 and I expect many years to come.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
La_Mansion_Inn1, Public Relations Manager at La Mansion Inn, responded to this review, July 30, 2011
I would like to thank you for your very kind review of our hotel.
We hope to see you back one day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Virginia, Arizona, Iraq
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

This is THE best hotel in Manuel Antonio. I was screwed over by a travel company and had to find a place to stay on my own the first two nights. I stayed at Arenas del Mar and Hotel Parador. La Mansion blew them both away. The resort grounds were gorgeous - the pool, jacuzzi, swim-up bar, internet room, the paintings, the decor, etc. There was nothing average about this hotel. The rooms were large and spacious. The balconies had rocking chairs that you could rock in at night to the sounds of the wild life. I wanted to stay there forever, but unfortunately I had to check out and go to Arenas del Mar. The food at La Mansion Inn was excellent and healthy ... best food I had in Costa Rica and the staff was pretty nice as well. The restaurant manager came out and talked to us during breakfast. She was American, and very sweet. I think they even gave us a free ride up the street, whereas Hotel Parador called a $10 cab for us for the very short ride between hotels. I wasn't too fond of Manuel Antonio or Quepos, but if I had to go back, I wouldn't stay anywhere other than La Manison. It's very cute and unique and not your standard hotel or over-sized resort!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
La_Mansion_Inn1, Public Relations Manager at La Mansion Inn, responded to this review, July 28, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time here on Tripadvisor to share with others your thoughts.
We are glad to hear that you had such a good time in our hotel.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

This is a wonderfully charming hotel from the location, views, facility and service. From the moment we walked in we were greeted so warmly and despite the cliche, felt instantly at home. The staff continually went out of there way to take care of us and make us feel comfortable. I don't know when I last didn't want to leave a destination because of the hotel.

We met several couples on their Honeymoon and can see whey as this is the perfect romantic spot. And yes, there were famalies too. As a gay couple, we were made to feel comfortable by everyone. We can't wait to go back! Thank you everyone!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
La_Mansion_Inn1, Public Relations Manager at La Mansion Inn, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your comment.
We look forward to your return vistit and so happy you enjoyed our love at first sight.
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Stayed here with some of our friends. From the moment we walked in we felt at home! The staff was extremely friendly upon arrival. They took us on a tour as our room was not quite ready yet. We ended our tour outide by the pool where the view is like no other. You have a view on all sides of manual antinio and is breath taking. We sat and waited for our room and were given a welcome drink and had some lunch. Lunch was great and not too pricey. The desk is a great place to see monkeys in the tree next to the hotel! We were taken to our room which was a junior suite and it was extermely clean and also had a great view. We went to the bat cave bar everynight before venturing out and Charlie and Octovaio were awesome and made great drinks! They were very helpful in giving us places to go to eat and even to go out at night. They went above and beyond! The hotel had shuttles which we did use and they picked us up and dropped us off right on schedule! My only complaint is that we had a lizard and small scoporian in our room which is due to us sitting outside at dusk and leaving the door open. Make sure you close the door!

Room Tip: Stay in the suites! We had rooms 22 and 23!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for posting and sharing your experience here on this Tripadvisor forum. And we welcome you back with open arms like home.
Frankfurt, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

We stayed in La Mansion Inn for 5 nights (Junior Suite; green season rate; 225 USD/night). The room was nice, clean and had a small balcony. Beds were good and the room service was fine.The view form the roof terrace was great. You can easily walk down to the beach within fiveteen minutes.

The hotel is mainly booked by (honeymoon) couples which might be in the mood not to look exactly what they get for their money. Arriving at noon time we were advised that our room is not ready yet - "unfortunately" by emphasizing that the official check in time is 3 pm. So we were asked to wait on the terrace for the next two and a half hours. A welcome drink was not served - surprising for a five star hotel.
Talking to other guests which were also waiting for their room to be ready our impression was confirmed that there was some intention to make additional money by having some lunch.
Again, disappointing for a five star hotel was the breakfirst we had incluced in our booking. Out of a menue of eight extremely similar dishes we had one plate (7-10 USD each) free per person. Everything else ended up on the bill. Staff at breakfirst time had some room for improvement.
Additionally we only found some internet connection in the lobby - none in the room. This is three star.
Not to be misunderstood: The place itsself is really nice. Nevertheless the price level for the rooms/food etc. is not fulfiled by the things you find and experience.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
La_Mansion_Inn1, Owner at La Mansion Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2011
Five Star prices meet average level

Thanks for your comments and I do understand most of what you are trying to say. As former President of the International Press Center in Moscow, Russia and long-time General Manager and C.E.O. of the National Press Club in Washington I had to travel extensively and as you are finding out there is little comparison between a Five Star Hotel in New York, Washington D.C. or Chicago and a Five Star Boutique Hotel in Central America. When we were given a Five Star rating I was both ecstatic and at the same time very concerned. A five-star rating for me meant something much different as I compared this rating to the hotels I visited over a life time. However in Costa Rica, the Tourism Ministry applies somewhat different standards. What matters here more is the emphasis on personal service, location, room quality, amenities, etc. not the size of the hotel, warp speed internet, the number of restaurants and bars, the highest sheet thread counts, pillow menu’s, etc. There is also no comparison in rates of a Five Star Hotel in Paris, London or Moscow with rates at my hotel including the food and beverage prices.
We are wonderful family-run hotel that has a Motto “Come as a Guest and Leave as a Friend” with a great staff that tries to cater to every of our client’s wishes. We are small but very busy and as you can read we get some rave reviews. However, sometimes this backfires because a seasoned “Five Star Traveler”, after reading these wonderful comments sets his/her expectations unreasonably high before coming based on his/her experiences elsewhere in the world. This is Costa Rica, this is Jungle, this a wonderful place to visit and to embrace the nature experience. To avoid unreasonable expectations, we have worked extensively on our web site that includes lots of pictures; video and will soon offer a life-feed camera so people can see for themselves what my hotel is all about.
I am sorry about my staff missing the Welcome Drink and that shows that we are not perfect. The check-in time is 3 PM and I assure you that nowhere in the world in a Five Star Hotel one can automatically expect a free drink if the room is not available before the regular check in time. However, in small family-run Boutique Hotel you should have been given a complimentary drink because that is what makes my hotel special. For this do apologize. In regards to the breakfast menu we offer a full fruit plate, French Toast, Pancakes with Maple Syrup and Chantilly, Gallo Pinto, Omelette of your choice, Huevos Rancheros, Huevos Congo, Eggs Benedict with Ham or Salmon, Frittata and a selection of serials. While you list the prices all these items including breakfast beverages are free to our guests. We find this to be a very balanced selection. Besides, we ask our guests in our Welcome Letter if they want for our Chef to prepare something special or if they have any dietary restrictions. Although not a business hotel we are in process of wiring the entire 25 room hotel for internet. As you know free telephone service to the U.S. and Canada is also available quit uncommon in U.S. Five Star Hotels.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

We very much enjoyed our stay and the hospitality. While this is not my normal hotel (not quite as luxurious as I normally prefer), the uniqueness and location make it worth a visit.

What we loved:
- Location, location, location. Views were great.
- Service was very good, with everyone incredibly friendly, especially Beto and Adrian at the pool bar and the two guys at the front desk during our stay.
- On site restaurant food quality and service were both great, though music was SOOO depressing and melancholy.
- Included breakfast was great in that you allow options for individuals versus the typical bad buffet breakfast.

My only suggestions for improvements:
- Pool Bar is great but frustrating there is not really anywhere to sit for a drink at the bar if you are NOT in the water. could be a more social environment if their was seating on other side of the bar but I do not think this is possible.
- Would be great if there were onsite spa services but the front desk was very helpful at arranging spa services nearby.
- "VIP room" could use an overhaul. Not sure the value there.

We would recommend this place to others and hope to come back.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms get up close and personel with monkeys but lower floors have better pool access
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Revere, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

My husband and I went to La Mansion for our honeymoon and it was perfect!! The staff was so courteous and incrediably helpful! We did the honeymoon package and planned a few trips while we were there! The staff at the pool bar were fantastic!!! I would recommend every couple visiting La Mansion!!

Room Tip: The penthouse was unbelievable!! Amazing view from the your own private balcony!!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to La Mansion Inn? Share your experiences!