“Loved the Si Como No!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Si Como No

Save Saved
You added Hotel Si Como No to your Saves list
Hotel Si Como No
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Manuel Antonio, Quepos, Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica   |
Special Rate
4 x 3
Boston, US
“Loved the Si Como No!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2007

I highly recommend Si Como No to anyone who is unsure where to stay in MA. The staff was fantastic, friendly, assisting, polite, doing an excellent job.

Pros:
The rooms are airconditioned, spacious, and include a little kitchen sink above the fridge. I especially appreciated the little details the cleaning staff did at our room. They organized all our belongings neatly to two stacks by category, one for me and one for my son. They even folded our socks decoratively and sprayed the room with a pleasant scent. What topped it for me, they neatly folded my dirty laundry! Thank you Zaida! I know it was you who folded them.

The hotel is situated on a gorgeous setting overlooking the pacific. The grounds are well maintained, clean, and organized. They actively support ways of operating their hotel in an eco-friendly environment. They have signs in the rooms supporting the energy-efficient ways of operating their hotel. For example they ask your permission to choose whether you wish your bed sheets or towels be changed daily or once during your stay.

The reception staff happily booked all our tours as we got there. I didn't need to pre-book in advance, as I was told that there is almost always availability to book during stay.

I loved the kids' pool surrounded by lush green vegetation looking exotic. It is attached to Rico Tico restaurant which has underwater seats for food and drinks.

Rico Tico has great food. I recommend the Nachos, the Mahi Mahi with shrimp sauce, and especially the guacamole dip (to die for). Their menu could use some expansion however. Every night they had a live 3-member band with very good musicians. There are other restaurants near by too so venture out if you want. Their breakfast has a good selection (try their fried bananas). And the view from Rico Tico to the Pacific is just so relaxing. I never tried Claro Que Si to comment.

Their gift shop is superb. It has a wide variety of gifts and art for sale. Their reading material for sale however (magazines) are WAY expensive though. I paid over $6.30 for Time magazine! Yikes!!!

Accross the street is an animal sanctuary: Butterflies, amphibians, reptiles. You will have to make reservations to go there and the reception will be happy to help out. You have to pay for admission but you get a complimentary entry for the butterfly sanctuary upon check-in at the hotel. You also get complimentary use of internet (in the gift shop) for the first hour of use.

Cons:
What I didn't particularly like was the bill breakdown. I was expecting a detail breakdown of everything we expensed but it was too general. Like the amount of gifts I bought at the gift shop were lump summed. The tours and food the same. Had I not kept accurate receipts I would have no clue what has been charged and what not. At the same time, on a few transactions during our stay, the staff told me that they keep all the receipts with them to add them all in the end. Ummm, what? I don't get to keep the yellow slip for my records? That's stupid. And ironically, I was talking to another guest the day we checked out and he commented how detailed their bill was. Go figure. Anyway. My advise is keep and request ALL transaction receipts and keep a good record of it.

What I really missed (but would NOT call it a "Con" against the hotel) is no TVs. I realize the objective of staying there is peace and tranquility, with the risk of some guests turning their TV up too loud (which is why no TVs are there) but I am so used to having TVs in every hotel I've ever stayed, I would have loved a bit of down time in the afternoons watching local channels or whatever else is on. Again, not a hotel flaw, but something I wish they had had.

Overall, Si Com No is a THUMBS UP hotel choice and a strong suggestion for anyone staying in Manuel Antonio.

• Liked — Great location!
  • Disliked — No TVs.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Cape Cod, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2007

Excellent family hotel. Beautiful rooms. Nice pool with slide for kids. Excellent food. Lots of activities. We did the Canopy tour which was outstanding. Well trained friendly staff. We also did the Kayak tour. I would pass on that. Everyone we met was incredibly helpful and friendly. We traveled with my 9 year old Aspergers child. He had an amazing time and staff went out of their way to engage him and entertain him. Expensive but worth it. We also flew on Sansa Air from San Jose....Nature Air is a better choice. The flight was short and a bit hair raising . We flew on Nature Air after Quepos to Osa...much better plane and flight.

• Liked — Clean, Well maintained, Great staff, Great food, Amazing beach
  • Disliked — Movies at night were only for adults....
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Huntington Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2007

Si Como No has wonderful grounds and the rooms were very nice and clean and some with kitchenette's. They also have Internet access from the Hotel Store. The wildlife including monkeys, birds, geckos and lizards just to name a few were abundant. The staff overall was very conscientious and helpful. We did have one incident with the maintenance guy and house keeper. My girlfriend had an IPod that was a gift from her parents and was engraved. We came back to the hotel to find the IPod missing. We spoke to the owner who is American, and all he could do was have us fill out a report. As we came home that day the maintenance crew was in front of our room because the rain washed part of the hillside onto the road that goes along all the rooms. Both the cleaning lady and maintenance guy denied taking the IPod. We were very disappointed and I offered them money to return the IPod. We were there two more days and did not want the cleaning lady in our room. On the last day before we left, the IPod showed up, they put it back into our room!! I was going to thank the cleaning lady and offer her a tip, however, upon checking out; the front desk said that we owed money for the two cokes we didn't drink from our mini bar...We believe the maintenance people took the cokes and IPod, however, the cleaning lady felt bad and put our IPod back. I wish we could have had a more pleasant experience. I believe this was an isolated incident and it all worked out in the end except for the $13.00 for two cokes that someone else drank from our room.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Shoreview, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2007

We stayed here as part of a spring break trip to Costa Rica last year. Hotel was very nice, nestled into a hillside, overlooking the Pacific Ocean. It was very eco-oriented and wildlife and birds abounded.

Staff were friendly and very helpful with tours and quickly dealt with any issues. Restaurant was nice and the food was good. The morning buffet was especially nice with great selection of fruits. Pools and water slide was fun.

Can't recommend highly enough!!

• Liked — Location set into the rainforest
  • Disliked — Everything was great!
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2007

We are just back from an incredible week in Manuel Antonio. I couldn't decide on just one hotel for the week, so I booked two. One, was Si Como No and the other was Tulemar. Our stay at Si Como No was outstanding. We were in a deluxe room in building 12 with an incredible view of the ocean and lush landscape. The grounds of the hotel are maintained to the highest standards and the staff is very professional, kind and helpful. The breakfast buffet was awesome, they even froth your milk for your coffee, loved it. The selection of foods quite wide and quite good. The kids pool proved a winner with my kids. The waterslide and swim up bar (where they ordered Fresca's) was way cool. The giant lizards walking around was an added bonus. My husband and I escaped to the adult pool, while my children were supposedly reading in the room (no TV's). We kept in touch via walkie talkie's. I wanted to mention Karla Rodriquez at the front desk for being a huge help in planning our excursions in M.A. and for arranging our drive to and from San Jose. (Anthony our driver was excellent, he made stops at the crocidile bridge, market and a quaint roadside restaraunt for drinks.) A few notes of interest while you're in M.A. Go to Bambu Jam for dinner, our definite favorite of the trip. Cafe Milegra for lunch and don't do the park without a guide, this was another highlight. Thanks again for everything Si Como No, we'll be back!

• Liked — Great service
  • Disliked — Rooms could have been a tad bigger
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2007

I wanted to write a quick review to let everyone know my thoughts about Si Como No. My boyfriend and I went there for a week near the end of March. We had a wonderful time and I can't say enough great things about the hotel. I really don't have a single complaint. The room was very clean and adequate, the adult pool was great (especially the swim up bar). Views were amazing!! Everyone was extremely friendly and the property was very clean. There is a spa, great movie theatre that plays a show every night and several restaurants on property. The Claro Que Si restaurant served what I claim to be the best meal I had on the whole entire trip and the views were absolutely amazing (again!!). Also, if you are planning a wedding at this property, the Claro Que Si restaurant would be an ABSOLUTELY PERFECT location for a wedding reception. I'm not certain if they rent it out for private parties, but if they do it would be a great option. Please ask if you want some further details about it.

I wouldn't recommend taking a trip down to Quepos.. it is basically just a town and isn't very pretty to look at. You will see as you drive through it on your way to the hotel. The walk down to the beach is about 25 minutes in the other direction of Quepos, but of course the hotel has a shuttle that runs about every hour. Manuel Antonio National Park is beautiful. It is $7 to enter and has another three beaches inside it. They aren't secluded though so don't assume you are getting away from the crowds by going in to the National Park. There is another huge beach outside of the park that is of course free. Beach chairs will cost you though (about 3,000 colones or $6). For nightlife I recommend Bambu Jam (live music and dancing around 9 or 10pm) and for late night The Lounge. Take a taxi to Bambu Jam though as it would be a lonnng hike if you were going to walk.

I highly recommend Si Como No though. The hotel was great and the staff exceptional. Also, their morning breakfast is wonderful---there are many many options as it a full buffet.

One last piece of information. My boyfriend and I stayed in an economy room which was their least expensive type of room. They typically reserve these rooms for walk ins as they smaller and they don't really market them. You can also reserve this type of room prior to your arrival, so if you are looking for a cheaper option this is it. The room was great.. we still had our own patio with chairs the room just was a bit smaller but definitely still adequate.

The hotel is great for both families and couples. Again, I highly recommend it!

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2007

My wife and I stayed at Si Como No for 6 nights from March 16-22nd and had a great stay. Most reviews of the hotel on this site are good, but we did read a couple questionable reviews before going. After staying at the hotel, and in Costa Rica in genreal, not sure how someone could have a bad time unless they a very hard to please and don't like the sun, beach, cool activities and surroundings, and nice people.

Just Costa Rica in general is such a great place, we will definitely be back to explore other parts and more of the Manuel Antonio area. If you are considering going, stop thinking and go, you will love it.

As for the hotel specifically, here is how we would rate/summarize a few key items:

Hotel Location and Appearance:
The hotel is built into the jungle and side of the hill/mountain that overlooks the Pacific Ocean. It is a little bit of a walk to the beach but the hotel supplies a shuttle to take you to and from the beach/main park area (maybe 5 min.). Most hotels around Manuel Antonio are in the same area and not right at the beach. You want to be on the cliff overlooking the ocean.

The hotel and rooms are very well maintained and everything looks clean and new. We had a smaller room as we were more interested in the activities and being outside, but even it was very nice and clean. We were able to look in some of the bigger rooms and they all looked very well maintained as well with all or most having a view of the ocean. Si Como No seemed to be one of the nicer places in the area and we are glad we picked it. You will not be disappointed.

Now I will remind you that you are surrounded by nature and there will be monkey, birds, geico the gecko's friends and family, etc. outside your room on a daily basis, so if you don't like nature maybe this isn't the right place for you (not just the hotel the area). We had a few ants and the occasional mosquito get into our room when we left the door open, but it was to be expected considering our surroundings. Again think about where you are located, you're not in the middle of the city. I think most hotels here will have this problem. And just so no one is surprised none of the rooms have a TV.

Hotel Amenities:
There are 2 pools, both very nice and can see the ocean, one even has a water slide if you have kids or the "kid in you." The adult pool is a little quieter and relaxing, but we prefered the family pool. Both have pool bars.

There are 2 restaurants on the hotel property as well. We tended to eat mostly at Rico Tico which serves B-fast, Lunch, and Dinner. Food is great and selection and prices good as well. The other restaurant is open for dinner and a little more expensive/nicer, but both are great places to eat. There are a few restaurants/hotel restaurants nearby you can go out to as well.

By the way B-fast at Rico Tico is included and has a good variety of food, not your typical continental you see in the states, much better. New food replenished from 6:30-9:30, no need to worry it will run out. Drink the Coffee, Costa Rican coffee is nice.

If you want to hang out and partake in the bottle past 10-11 at night you will probably need to head out to some bars down the street or in Quepos, but you will probably want to rest up for the next days activities instead.

In addition a recent Movie is shown each night around 8:30PM in an on-site theater that sits probably 40-50 people. We watched a couple nights.

There is a spa next door to the hotel (didnt try) and also a gift shop (a little more expensive than some of the shops near the beach, we recommend heading down there for souvenirs but just our opinion). The gift shop also has an internet cafe.

Staff:
The entire staff (front desk, concierge, restaurant, drivers, cleaning services, etc.) we are all very nice and helpful. Most if not all spoke Englsih and Spanish and were very patient with all the guests.

The waiting staff at Rico Tico restaurant were great. We can't say enough about them.

The concierge desk was very helpful and has a list of tours and will help you reserve them (usually you can book the day before). You may be able to save a little bit of money booking yourself (we are only talking about a few dollars), but they make it easier and you know you can trust the tour groups you are going with. Transportation is usually included.

Hotel Price:
The prices seemed competitive with other similar quality hotels in the area (for example it seemed to be similar in cost to La Mariposa). You can probably find a better price in some of the smaller places in the area, but it will not be quite as nice and we felt it was worth it.

By the way, if you are just looking for a place to sleep and dont need a very big room, just a nice bed and nice shower (really nice by the way), ask if the economy room is available. Its a little cheaper than some of the regular or big rooms. Just depends what you are looking for, we still had a nice private view of the ocean.

Getting There:
We took Sansa charter flight from San Jose (~$50 each) and had the hotel pick us up at the Quepos airport with a $5 shuttle. Nature Air also does the flight from San Jose for around the same price. There is also a bus from San Jose, but hear it takes 3-4 hours. The plane was a little scary since we went through a rain storm, but only took about 25 minutes and felt safe most of the time. Your call.

Activities:
We did zip line, horseback, catamaran sunset sail, atv tour, and took a tour of Manuel Antonio Park We would recommend all of them. Make sure you check out Manuel Antnoio Park and go to the beaches there for at least 1-2 days. We wanted to surf, but ran out of time, and water water rafting we heard is good but in March the river is a little low/quiet b/c it is the dry season. Ask the front desk for advice on tours and things to do, they were honest and gave great recommendations.

All in all you cant go wrong with Costa Rica and Si Como No is a great place for couples and families to stay.

Chris & Sibel
NY, NY

P.S. - check and see if the momma and baby sloth are hanging out in the trees next to reception.

• Liked — Location, near a lot of activities/sites and it was built into the jungle hillside without disturbing too much of the area around it, was still very nice.
  • Disliked — Not much, were some ants/mosquitos in the room, but expected it given where we were.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Si Como No? Share your experiences!