“you don't get what you pay for” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Si Como No

You added Hotel Si Como No to your Saves list
Hotel Si Como No
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Manuel Antonio, Quepos, Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
midatlantic US
“you don't get what you pay for”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2007

Love the sounds of construction starting at 7 a.m. and running through most of the day just below the patio of your "deluxe suite"? Adore the sounds of buzz saws and hammers, love the feel of dust in your eyes and nose? Then by all means stay at Si Como No. We paid more than $300 for each of four nights and days of this experience (not including mediocre food, which is extra). Sure, you can see the ocean way, way, way down the steep hill. But you'll have to drive to get there -- there's no way to walk to it. More importantly, you'll have to just put up with "the construction experience." I spoke with several SCN staff members, including the manager, whose response was a pathetic: "sorry, but that's not our property." True, the construction is at a resort directly next to Si Como No. Perhaps the owners of Si Como No shouldn't be so greedy as to sell off every last extraneous inch of land. The least they could have done was to offer us a small discount on our hefty bill (they didn't). And they definitely shouldn't advertise their property as being anything remotely tranquil or relaxing. We would have been better off in a $50/night roadside highway hotel.

Stayed December 2006
Junglefan, Resident Manager at Hotel Si Como No, responded to this review, February 21, 2007
Management Response

We are truly surprised by the aggressive nature of this customer’s negative comments. While it is true that there was construction next door, it occurred for a short period and we took immediate steps to request that the noise level be reduced during the early morning hours, which our neighbors kindly did upon our request. We would also like to point out that, in contrast to this customer, 156 guests surveyed in December (+99% of surveys received), overwhelmingly recommended our hotel. Unfortunately, we are unable to contact this customer to address his concerns and ask that he contact the hotel general manager directly regarding his complaint. We sincerely apologize if he feels that our reception staff or any manager/supervisor did not address his complaints to his personal satisfaction. Again, this is not characteristic of our 14 years of pleasing our customers.

As to the other comments:

You may reach the beach by walking down the main paved road or by walking the dirt road in front of the Café Milagro, one block from our hotel. Because there are no sidewalks on the roads, we do not encourage our guests to walk to the beach. Instead, we offer free shuttle service to the beach 7 times a day, which the majority of the hotels in Manuel Antonio do not offer their guests.

The hotel has never sold any land to our neighbors and in fact, we represent the area’s only private wildlife refuge with over 22 acres, perhaps the largest tract of undeveloped real estate on the main corridor of Manuel Antonio. The customer’s statement is totally inaccurate, especially when you consider the track record of our conservation efforts for the community dating back to 1974!

We look forward to hearing from the customer directly to address his concerns in a satisfactory manner.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Scarsdale, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2007

If this is one of the better places in the area, I would hate to see the other hotels. We had reserved a honeymoon suite for ourselves and a deluxe suite for our teenage daughters. Our rooms were right near the dining area which had blaring music all day. We requested a change and ended up with two deluxe suites. The only difference with the honeymoon and the deluxe was a hot tub and an extra $30 a night. Not worth it, at all.
The rooms have a moldy feeling and the furniture seems old and worn. The blankets don't even go over the whole bed.
We were not happy there and switched to the Hotel Gaia which was one of the most beautiful hotels we've ever stayed.
We knew we would lose money in the switch but requested that the manager try and sell our rooms to walk-in guests. While he said that they can sometime sell the rooms, we later asked the front desk staff if he had passed on our request. No surprise, they didn't know anything about our wanting to sell the rooms. The manager had this strange affect and showed no interest in helping us.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brooklyn NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2007

1--unreliable reservations from this hotel;
2--unreliable communication regarding reservation policy;
3--VERY late notice of cancellation.

I saw a lot of positive reviews of this hotel and only 1 very negative, so I chose to ignore the negative review. Bad idea.
6 days after booking my hotel through Expedia I received a voicemail message saying that there was a minimum stay and because my booking did not meet it I could not stay there. I left the hotel a voice-mail message but have not heard back and am left wondering whether there will be a fight over return of my payment given the hotel's harsh cancellation policy. Book at your own risk!!!!!!

Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2007

Just got back a few weeks ago, and I just can't stop talking about how great the trip was.

Manuel Antonio (the park) is amazing. Some of the best beaches I've ever seen, and great for everything except snorkeling due to a lot of waves. Lots of wildlife, including monkeys and lizards, some of which we even saw at the hotel!

The hotel is great, and they managed to build 61 rooms with minimal disruption to the environment, mainly in small two-story buildings with 4-6 rooms apiece. This keeps things very quiet as well. I really enjoyed being able to walk outside and hear the sounds of crickets, birds, singing frogs and the occasional howler monkey very cool!

Breakfast was included with our rate, and it was excellent. Eggs cooked to order, fresh fruit, cereal, as well as plantains and rice and beans for a little bit of local flavor. My girlfriend asked for some ice for her coffee, and the waitress brought back a beautiful glass of iced coffee for her. Very cool.

Also, if you get up early for breakfast, check the big trees about 200 ft away from the restaurant for monkey activity. We had to get up early for excursions and our flight, and we say a troop of about 12 white-faced capuchin monkeys on a few occasions. Very cool, and a guilt -free pleasure since they're not interacting with people, being fed, trying to steal food (very bad for them.) They do, however, put on a great show!

Loved the staff. I speak virtually no Spanish, although my girlfriend is fluent. They were exceptionally friendly to both of us (and patient with me.) Everyone there speaks fluent English, but I really wanted to try out my broken Spanish, and they were nice enough to humor me. (GENUINELY friendly, too. Not Eddie Haskell friendly.) The front desk did a great job at setting up a canopy tour and an ocean kayak tour through a mangrove estuary (salt water, so no mosquitos!) I'd highly recommend both excursions, although folks with bad back problems should probably stay away from the kayaks.

There are two pools, one called the family pool, which has a water slide. The other one is the adult pool, and it is blissfully quiet. It's also the best place on the property to watch the sun set. It also features mankind's greatest invention, the swim-up bar.

We reserved really late (October) and were told that the property was sold out except for three small rooms (59, 60, and 61) that they kept available for walk-ins and seldom rented, but they told us we could reserve one for $150 a night. Hope I'm not giving away a secret, but this was an awesome deal for the week between Christmas and New Year for a slightly smaller room with all of the amenities. I'm saving to buy a condo, and it made the whole trip possible. The rooms were clean, and the bed was comfortable (a double, probably due to the smaller room.)

One piece of advice. We missed our connection to the Quepos airport from the International airport in San Jose. If it's going to rain, it seems to usually rain late in the day, so SANSA just schedules all of their flights before early afternoon. You might want to spend your first night in Costa Rica in San Jose to be sure you can catch a flight. And if you do, the Marriott is excellent too.

Stayed December 2006
Salem
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2007

My wife and I stayed 2 nights at the Si Como No and wished we had spent our entire vacation in Costa Rica at this hotel. We stayed in one of their standard rooms which is the least expensive but we still had a very nice room with a nice view. Paying more only gets you a better view. The hotel has two great restaurants with good food at reasonable prices. There are two pools beside which to relax and read a book. A troop of white-faced monkeys passed through on two occasions making you feel you really are in a tropical rain forest. The staff were very nice and welcoming.

San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2007

TripAdvisor is such a great resource, after reading the reviews here we booked a room using the link on the TripAdvisor reviews page which went through Expedia. We received a confirmation from Expedia a month before our dates. When we arrived at Si Como No they would not honor our printed Expedia confirmation & said they were full. It was very inconvienient to have to look for another room after driving 7 hours to get there. They said that we had not confirmed it even though we were holding the confirmation.

Upon our return home I see that somebody from internationalvacation.com had emailed & called our home the day before our scheduled arrival to say they were out of standard rooms but we could upgrade. Pretty late for that since we had been in Costa Rica for weeks by that time & could not receive the message.

internationalvacation.com also referenced our credit card number in the email. I have contacted Expedia in this matter & they indicated they only gave the number to the hotel itself, internationalvacation.com should not have been involved. Smells fishy.

BEWARE! This could be you.

new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2007

For our second trip to Manuel Antonio, my boyfriend and I decided to wing it and choose a hotel when we arrived. For our first trip we chose to stay at Tulemar Bungalows which were nice but I wanted to change it up for the second visit. We stopped at two other hotels before settling on Si Como No. We decided to upgrade a bit on the room since we really wanted a view so we went with a deluxe which we knew would be pricey since Manuel Antonio is MUCH more expensive than the rest of Costa Rica.

The room they showed us was clean, had a huge bathroom along with an amazing terrace and view. The decor is classic upscale hotel for this area but as far as high end furnishings don't go expecting the W. The bathroom was exceptional though-totally modern and high end! There wasn't a TV but many places we stay in C.R don't have one so it was no big deal.

The kids screaming in the pool nearby didn't even bother us because we could go to our own (adult) pool and enjoy ourselves. I am glad that management limits the guests on the grounds not only for security reasons but because we were able to enjoy the pool and lounge in peace! We sampled food from all of the onsite restaurants and discovered it was so good we could just hang out and be lazy instead of running all over the main road trying to find food options. One restaurant is right at the pool so you don't have to move a muscle. The public beach is right down the road and there is a free shuttle provided by the hotel if we did want to move.

We were so relaxed we booked a massage at the Serenity Spa at the hotel. We recognized this spa from other hotels and cities during our travels. I had no problems at all with my treatment, in fact it was the highlight of our stay. They even arranged it so my boyfriend and I could enjoy our treatments together. No products were pushed on me and the manager asked us exactly what we wanted out of our treatment. It was thorough, friendly and professional.

Dinner at Claro Que Si was lovely, especially when begun early to take advantage of the stunning sunset. I would suggest ordering the fresh seafood offerings on the menu.

Overall, we left Si Como No feeling totally pampered by the friendly staff and without any complaints. We especially enjoyed how lush and fragrant the grounds were, watching for wildlife and just unwinding. Since we have stayed in Manuel Antonio before I have to say the only thing that beats Si Como No is the private beach at Tulemar bungalows, complete with sea kayaks and a full bar. We would have missed the spa, pool and restaurant experiences we had at Si Como No, though. It all depends on what you are looking for!
Pura Vida!

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Si Como No? Share your experiences!