“Loved Si Como No” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Si Como No

Save Saved
You added Hotel Si Como No to your Saves list
Hotel Si Como No
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Manuel Antonio, Quepos, Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica   |
Special Rate
4 x 3
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Loved Si Como No”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

We had a great time at Si Como No. The view from our room's balcony is one of the most beautiful I've seen. The hotel is in a great location to walk to many of the great restaurants nearby, and there is a regular shuttle operated by the hotel for transportation to the park. The service was very considerate, the room was spacious, and the two pools (one for families, one adults only) make it an ideal spot for families or couples wanting quiet.

• Liked — views, location, service
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Huntington Beach, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2007

We stayed at Si Como No for 3 nights on our honeymoon and loved it! The staff was friendly and and the view from our room was incredible. We ate dinner one night at Claro que si (The hotel restaurant) and it was some of the best food we had in our 2 weeks in Costa Rica. We highly recommend it.

• Liked — The Views
  • Disliked — The ants in our room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2007

I enjoyed my stay at Si Como No and would return again. Frankly, in contrast to other recent postings, I feel like I stayed at an entirely different hotel.

My stay was in early September and I locked in their green season rate on the Internet. All in, with taxes, it was just under $200 / night. This includes an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet. Also, keep in mind, tripadvisor notes the hotel class of this establishment as three stars.

The grounds were beautiful and my hotel room was very clean.

The pools were crystal clear and clean - there is a family pool with a waterslide attached to the casual restaurant and an adult pool with a waterfall and a swim up bar. It's a nice way to spend part of your day.

In addition, as part of the room fee, the hotel will give you two complimentary tickets to the butterfly reserve across the way. Definitely worth stopping in for a short time.... and it comes with the room, so you may as well.

A previous reviewer noted bugs throughout the breakfast buffet... I have to say I did not experience this during either of my breakfasts and I found the selection to be satisfying. The buffet had Americanized choices, such as home fry patties and pancakes. We ate lunch one day at the casual Rico Tico Bar 'n Grill (the location where breakfast is served) and dinner at the more formal Claro Que Si Restaurant. Again, both meals were enjoyable and I would return to either of those restaurants. Prices are on par with typical American hotel restaurants.

The location is on the main road from Quepos to Manuel Antonio, where most of the hotels for the tourists are located. It is easy to get around from. My friend and I did not have a car and the front desk was always helpful with calling taxis or with arranging transportation to the airport. In addition, there is a free shuttle that will take you to / from Manuel Antonio or the public beach at certain times.

Also, although your not in the room too often, it is noteworthy there are no TVs in the room. The hotel does offer a movie in its theater at 8 PM every night.

Other tips: It was fun to shop and bum around Quepos. Eat dinner at El Gran Escape in Quepos if you get a chance. Also, right before the park entrance there is a free public beach where people rent beach chairs and sell their goods (jewlery, towels, etc) surrounded by restaurants... Marlin's had great casual food. If you pay the nominal rate, you can tour Manuel Antonio, the reserve. There is a beach with swimming in the park as well - but it is all natural and you cannot bring in any beach accessories - no umbrellas, etc. Also, there is no food or beverage stand inside the park, so be sure to bring in a bottle of water before you get in.

• Liked — Great pool.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2007

Our experience at Si Como No was not what we had expected. Si Como No
is billed as a luxury hotel; our nightly room cost was over $300. For that amount per day, I expect a reasonable amount of service. Certainly I have stayed in many other hotels of a comparable caliber and have not encountered similar problems with service. The staff at Si Como No were polite enough. However, they did not really seem to want to be helpful. I felt like they addressed whatever question I had, but just enough to get me to go away. During our three day stay,
there were a number of occasions where the quality of service from the staff was lacking. Specific examples are as follows:

1. My son really wanted to go horseback riding on the beach. This is an activity that is described in the tour books as being available in
Manuel Antonio. I went to the staff person at the hotel’s concierge desk to ask if it would be possible to arrange for horseback riding on the beach. The staff person informed me that the only riding available was to the waterfall. We booked this trip, although this is not what we wanted to do. During the ride to the waterfall, the guide was talking with me about horseback riding trips available through his company. He told me that they offered a great trip riding
on the beach. I have no idea why the hotel staff told us riding on the beach was not available.

2. One of the guests had told us of a good restaurant for pizza that was just down the road from the hotel. That evening, we asked at the concierge desk for a place to get pizza. We were told that the nearest pizza place would require a taxi. The concierge called a taxi for us and we went to a restaurant. On the taxi ride home, we noticed that there was a pizza place that we could have walked to from the hotel. I have no idea why the staff person did not provide accurate information.

3. The day before we left, I needed help to reconfirm the flight home. We had special reservations that could not be confirmed on-line. I asked at the front desk if someone could help me with this. The staff provided me with a phone number for the airline—it did not work. I went back to the front desk and told the staff that the number did not work. The response from the staff was a shrug of her shoulders and the comment that this was the only number she had. She said that everyone confirms flights on-line. I explained to her that this was not an option. She responded that there was nothing that she
could do to help.

4. When we checked in, there was a significant ant problem in the room. I understand that in the environment where the hotel is located, bugs in the room are not unexpected. What was an issue is that I had to call the front desk repeatedly to get someone to come to the room to deal with the problem. It took over an hour for someone to get to the room.

5. On the second day of our stay, the lock to our room began to stick. Every time we wanted to get into the room, we had to walk back to the front desk for help or try to find a maintenance person (I do not speak Spanish so communicating with the maintenance staff was a challenge). We finally gave up trying to get the lock fixed and
left the room door slightly open when we went out.

Stayed August 2007
Barcelona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

Very nice location very close to the beach.
Big confortable rooms with excelent Atlantic sea view. Good service all around the hotel. Good help for activities organisation
Nice meals in Rico tico restaurant
Sunbathing next to a iguana, an experience
Kids liked it also

Stayed August 2007
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

My husband and I ended our week-long trip to Costa Rica with two days at Si Como No. I was really looking forward to this portion of the trip as I expected it to be the most relaxing. Unfortunately - primarily due to the hotel and a particular member of the staff at the reception desk - this ended up being my least favorite part of the trip. The employee who met us at the reception desk was brusque, arrogant and unhelpful - he announced our room wasn't ready yet when we arrived but didn't offer to take our luggage or give us suggestions on what we could do in the meantime. We had to ask him to keep our luggage. Next the hotel rooms were a true disappointment - they were perfectly fine rooms BUT not what I would expect at a supposedly "first class hotel". The rooms are not up to par given the rates this hotel charges. There are also notes in your room and bathrooms about reusing your towel and sheets - although I understand the concept, it came across a little preachy and annoying. The breakfast was good but as another reviewer mentioned, there were bugs constantly swarming around the food and a number of times, saw flys in the food. (I did not have this problem at the other three hotels I stayed at in Costa Rica) Finally the place is not as spacious as the website would suggest - it is pretty closed in and all the trees that line the paths make it feel almost a little too congested. The three positives I would note are that -- aside from the rude guy at the reception desk (who was not helpful at all in terms of restaurant suggestions, didn't even bother to help us with our luggage on our way out, and didn't bother to say "bye" or hope you enjoyed your trip" as we left) -- the other employees were very friendly, restaurant prices were very reasonable, and you can see iguanas wandering around the resort. HOWEVER, there are plenty of hotels which are beautiful, comfortable, priced fairly relative to the rooms offered with friendly staff in Costa Rica so I wouldn't waste my time on this hotel. I am sad to say I couldn't wait to leave after my two days so staying at Si Como No almost made me happy that my vacation was ending!

• Liked — Fun to see igaunas walking around
  • Disliked — Rooms, the guy who greeted us at the reception desk, overall layout of the hotel
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
PR
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

My husband and I went there for our honeymoon. We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights to spend the rest of our vacations. Since the hotel got great reviews we booked it.

As soon as we arrived, I realized that it was not a fairly rated hotel. It looks more like a "Inn" and if you see the name- that is what it is. It is not really a hotel, in many ways.

I don't understand why people don't mention that the rooms have a kitchen but there is any food or even close to cook, no t-v, no room service. They offer breakfast but you need to be fighting against the bugs. Some of them are inside of food. Totally dissapointed.

Not to mention the fact that we paid around $250.00 per night. We also paid around $450.00 of extra charges. They ask almost $7.00 for a Pringles Potato Chips, plus the tax and service fee. Incredible. Specially when you drive around the hill and see similar hotels for half of the price.

We hope to help you in your decision.

• Liked — Transportation services
  • Disliked — Room
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Si Como No? Share your experiences!