“Couldn't fault this hotel and location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Parador

You added Hotel Parador to your Saves list
Hotel Parador
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 284, Quepos, Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Bath, United Kingdom
“Couldn't fault this hotel and location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for four nights in November 2009 as part of a small group tour with Bales travel.
It was beautiful and I couldn't fault it. The views are magnificent and the location idyllic. The pools are clean and warm and the service is first class. We were visiting at the end of the rainy season so it was not busy around the pool in November. The weather most days was beautiful and hot with a blue sky until around 2pm when it poured down. It did not spoil the holiday and often it cleared up by evening.
The room was spacious and spotlessly clean with a sound mosquito screen and large balcony. From the rooms we saw sloths, white-faced capuccin monkeys, racoons, birds, butterflies etc; the grounds are full of wildlife - best time to see it is sunrise.
The food was deliciously and reasonably priced for the status of the hotel and there is an excellent buffet breakfast which can be eaten on the terrace. The two shops were no more expensive than normal gift shops and sold a wide range of gifts.
A shuttle bus runs from the hotel to Manuel Antonio hourly although the ride is bumpy up to the main road. It picks up from under the hotel's front entrance under an awning so even if it is raining you do not get wet.
I would recommend this hotel and would certainly like to revisit.

• Stayed November 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Austin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2009

Hotel is beautiful. We requested a jungle room, and did not get it, even though I specified that it was my for my son's 16th birthday (and there was plenty of rooms available). The room we had was a superior room,and it was nice. The air conditioner worked great! There was lots of ants in the bathroom, but we are in the rainforest! Also, the drain in the bathroom sink didn't drain. The sink would fill up quickly, so be quick!! Housekeeping takes towels and never leaves enough, so you might want to keep what you had. They also do not leave cream for coffee, you have to ask for it. Beds are very comfortable. They are very stingy with laundry bags also. We asked for more and you would of thought we were asking for a free room. And they (front desk) are rude when they tell you anything. The bellboys are friendly and helpful. The breakfast is free and very good. There is only one restaurant and it is very expensive for lunch and dinner. Salads $15-$20 and very small, like a dinner salad. All of the entrees are very small and very expensive. I guess you are paying for the view. We never saw 1 monkey at the hotel. The monkeys are at Manuel Antonio Park. We saw tons of monkeys on our guided tour!! The pool at the hotel had 2 huge toads in it. My son had to get them out. The road is bad and bumpy getting to the hotel, but tolerable. What you need to be careful of is that ii is very narrow and huge tour buses fly down that road. We almost went off the side of the road because of a bus. There is NO beach at this hotel. You have to either drive or walk down the road to a path. Park your car on that narrow road, and walk down this long path. Honestly, the beach there is not worth it. It's small with dirty sand, and the ocean water there is gross. Go to Manuel Antonio beach, it's much nicer. All in all, the hotel is nice. We would stay again, and just consider the source of the people!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
syracuse ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

we stayed 4 nights in october hotel food staff outstanding chris our waiter was outstanding . we did the mangrove tour one of the best tours we have taken ever.now the bad part we had to go home .we will be back asap. phil cindy maureen.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
St. Thomas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

I stayed here in October 2007 for one week. I stayed in a premium room with 2 queen beds and views of the ocean and jungle below me.

Rooms:
The rooms were clean, and had internet/cable tv. The showers were large and had dual sinks. I had a adjoining small kitchen area if i wanted to cook in with sink and dining area, but i didnt use it, because the food there was so good.

Dining:
I ordered most of my food from La Galeria Restaurant. They have an al fresco dining area with beautiful views of the jungle/ocean. The breakfast buffett was plentiful, lots of local fruits and juices, great coffee, and typical costa rican items like rice and beans with eggs, and various breads/cereals. For lunch and dinner, try the fresh seafood and the sancho panza chicken, its a grilled chicken breast with bacon and peaches, i think i ordered that fish everyday for lunch.

Location:
Its on the top of the hill, if you want to visit the closest beach you need to walk down the hill about 1/4 of a mile and through the forest, passing chickens and farm animals on your way to the beach. Its about 100 yards wide and private for the most part. But the best beaches would be on a tour out of town.

Things to do:
I spent about $70 for the canopy tour (1/2 day), includes tranportation in a A/C van, typical lunch of rice, beans, and meat/juices, etc..you must do it! Also, there is a photographer on staff to record your journey and a CD can be purchased at the end of your tour for about $25.00.

Spend a day at the Manuel Antonio Park, its a short taxi ride away and the beach is beautiful, the hike in the park is also challenging. the bars near the beach will soothe your achy feet.

Day trip to Punta Leona - Day trip to Jaco's beaches - Day trip to Isla Tortuga

Travel Notes:
1. Please consider flying in a small plane from San Jose to Manuel Antonio. I took a bus on my way there and it took well over 10 hours in a hot bus, that was stuck outside a bridge that was flooded. So I flew back to San Jose, it took 25 minutes and its a beautiful view at about 5,000 feet.

2. Bring bug spray

3. Always take extra socks if you go hiking, I hiked all day and it rained in the morning, then i didnt have a spare dry set, so take a couple pairs.

4. Talk to the employees, meet the locals, people are really friendly there and I spent a few days hanging out with them. Its good to know a local and can show you around.

5. Says pet's not allowed? Don't worry you'll have a monkey or two hanging around your room looking for some mango.

Hope that helps, have fun! Pura vida!

• Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
Honolulu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

There are many hotels in the Manual Antonio / Quepos area but Parador stands above the rest. Almost every other hotel I saw, even the ones costing more then Parador were basically right on the main road. None of them seemed even close to the elegance of the Parador. Parador is unique in that it is a 10 minute drive off the main road! There are a few other small hotels on this side road, but they are on the side while Parador is at the end, and what an end it is. It is a gorgeous, secluded location surrounded with wildlife and fabulous views. The hotel is spotless. My wife sat everywhere in white shorts and they stayed perfect. The pools are the most beautiful, warm, clean ones in the area. The food at the restaurant is excellent. Yes, a hamburger costs 11 bucks, but it is a beautiful burger, served elegantly on linen and china by wonderful staff on a beautiful table overlooking a fabulous coastline. Also that 11 bucks includes tax and tip! We tried a couple other restaurants around thinking, we can't just eat every meal at the hotel, but except for the truly local spots in town, the prices were the same or more and the food, service and locations just didn't compare. Wifi is fast and free. Parking is free and totally secure. The 10 minute road to the hotel is a bit rough. You don't need 4 wheel drive, but don't try it in a Yugo :)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Key West
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Parador about ten days ago. The place is extremely well-appointed, with extensive grounds which include a nature trail where we saw monkeys, a sloth, beautiful birds, a great variety of tropical trees, shrubs and flowering plants. The hotel buildings are set on promontory several hundred feet above the ocean, with sublime views.

This is definitely a five star hotel in terms of level of service and facilities. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Visit the website for photos.

We did not eat lunch or dinner at the hotel, because the menu offerings and the prices looked almost exactly like they do in Key West, where we live. The breakfast buffet, which was included with our room, was extensive both in typical Costa Rican food (gallo pinto, fajitas, etc,) and in North American breakfast food, including an omelette chef. Europeans would not feel left out, either. Breakfast is taken on the balcony overlooking the grounds and the ocean. Be sure to leave enough time for breakfast before your activity for the day.

One word of warning if you are driving here: The small road from the main road out to the end of the promontory where the Parador is located is in deplorable condition for about 2 km. An SUV with high clearance definely helps. We rented an SUV at the San Jose airport , and we were glad we had one.

The hotel has a van, most tour facility operators have vans, and there are plenty of taxis, at least at this time of year. It really is not necessary to have a car here.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

On arrival I was encouraged to upgrade my room to a premium plus for an extra $60 per night. I looked at the room and thought it beautiful so went ahead. Climbing the 124 steps to the room in the high heat and humidity of the day, I was told the elevator was being repaired and would be working in an hour. 3 days later their was still no elevator and my I was getting rather tired of climbing to the 4th floor after every meal or dip in the pool. The television also didn't work and after having it repaired once I gave up as I am did not really care about the tv very much. The spar treatments were very average and disappointing for the price, $90 for a 50 minute massage and $90 or a facial. The food was also pretty average, the dinner menu offering little for vegetarians. The pasta meal I ordered was so bad I couldn't eat it .
The staff were very pleasant but seemed to care little about our problems. I would have expected some compensation for 4 days with no elevator or tv in the room but none was offered. I will return to Manuel Antonio but not to this hotel. I do not feel it was good value for money.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Parador? Share your experiences!