“Great Resort with Amazing Views and Amenities” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Parador

Save Saved
You added Hotel Parador to your Saves list
Hotel Parador
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 284, Quepos, Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Great Resort with Amazing Views and Amenities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

My daughter and I stayed here and even though it was a rocky start (the pre-arranged transportation arranged through them was an hour late to come get us), the room was great, we had our own balcony in the garden, again room was not 5 star quality but still charming. The grounds are beautiful and they have their own private 'monkey trail walk' which has great views of the ocean. The food choices were great each day and it is very easy to get to the beaches with their shuttles. All activities booked through them were great and went without a hitch. Great place to stay and safe. Recommend to all! Great WI-fi through entire grounds.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Lydia G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Parador, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
We're so glad to hear you and your daughter enjoyed your stay at Parador! We hope you were able to take back with you plenty of happy memories and pictures of our local wildlife. Please come back and visit again soon—pura vida, amigas!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

If you want spectacular views to gaze at while drinking your Margaritas by the pool and you want to see wildlife you would never see back home, then this hotel is the place to be. An exquisite, old world Spanish tile with gorgeous tiles, wrought iron and hand-carved fixtures illustrate a beauty of an era gone by. I think Casablanca when I step into this resort. The resort itself is truly a gem. The rooms are fine, not great. They are on the smaller side, but clean (standard room) and the balconies are on the small side as well with only two chairs and a small table--hardly any room for a family of 4. Upon arrival you are greeted by friendly people who take your luggage and the concierge ladies (all who were extremely pleasant throughout our stay) were welcoming as well. I wish I could say the same for the check in people who need to follow in the concierge's welcoming disposition. As you check in someone brings you a warm towel to wash up and a cool drink. There are two adult pools and a huge family pool with a swim up bar. There is a Jacuzzi but it never was even remotely heated during our stay which was a huge bummer! Not sure why it didn't work. The views from the pool are breathtaking--you overlook the Pacific ocean and all its glory. We saw whales one day. The wildlife is abundant....just from hanging out in the pool while gazing at the ocean near the tropical plants, on 2 different occasions we saw a fluorescent hummingbird--so beautiful. We also saw monkeys upon our arrival in our room--they were jumping trees. Another time they jumped on our balcony roof. One night, while I sat outside to watch the rain I saw a sloth (so amazing). We also saw a raccoon ambling through the property--she didn't bother anyone--she was on a mission. While walking the trails we didn't see anything, but I was just as happy seeing it from my balcony. Note about trails--you really need hiking shoes. I wore tennis shoes and it was terrible. Also, it is very humid in the jungle...I didn't realize how overheated I got quickly. Now let's talk about the beach, I must have misunderstood the beach part of this resort, I thought it was nearby. The hotel staff says it is 200 meters away down, yes it isn't horribly far but you have to walk down a steep incline from the resort and 200 meters away is only to the gate or start of the path down (entrance) another steep incline, slippery at times with rocks of various sizes and it was very hard to get down and back up this path. I wouldn't even call it a path, I would call this being out in the remote area that needs hiking shoes. No flip flops--tennis shoes maybe, but hiking shoes would be better. I absolute caution anyone from taking young children, older people and pregnant women down this path to the beach. Parador being close to a beach in walking distance is very optimistic...if you are the Crocodile Dundee type you will have no problem, but I am a city person and this was totally unexpected. I just wish the hotel would be more communicative about it and what guests should expect. They do have the Manuel Antonio beach nearby but it isn't in walking distance--the hotel provides a free shuttle. Okay let's talk about the restaurants--I am very disappointed in the restaurant. The breakfast buffet included in our European plan was pretty decent...the croissants were freshly baked and they had some interesting dishes. Kudos to the chef. And I have to say the lady who works the made-to-order eggs is an absolute sweetheart---they should give her a raise because her job is hard and she is always friendly. So the other meals!! OVERPRICED big time for what they give you. On our last night we got the 3 meat buffet for around $29.00 per person and they told us it had a salad bar and desserts. We literally got 3 small pieces of meat, and the salad bar was like the lettuce at Subway (clearly not for a true salad) with dressings sitting out near a grill not on ice so they were already lukewarm, and the dessert selection (albeit very good desserts) was on ice either and they were things that needed to be. At one of our lunches I had "Comida Tipica" and that I would recommend--it was very good. Aside from the good buffet breakfast, I would recommend trying other area restaurants. I like Larador (expensive) and The Wagon (pizza place--less expensive). Also, there is a nice grocery store right up the road that we bought coffee from instead of paying almost $10.00 more at the gift shop and you can buy sunblock and other things you might need. Anyway, my overall opinion is this resort is very nice--I would love to see the resort change the minor complaints I had during my stay, but they were nothing terrible that would make me avoid staying at this resort next time I was in Manuel Antonio, great for families or couples alike. Enjoy the pura vida!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Lydia G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Parador, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review! We appreciate reading both the kudos and the observations—we always striving to improve our service and these details count towards making our best, better. Pura vida, amigos, and we hope to see you again in beautiful Costa Rica!
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

My room was very pleasant and the hotel itself was beautiful. All meals were excellent with themed nights from the restaurants. facilities great except considering the size of the hotel one would have expected a larger pool.
Arrival/ check in was slow and they insisted on taking a photocopy of your passport and couldn't explain why they did it.
The beach is a bit of a trek down the main road and then through the woods. They do however offer transport to and from the hotel to the wooded area. What a climb back up though- not for the feint hearted.
Took my meals in the room at night as i felt uncomfortable on my own in the restaurant which i have never before felt in a restaurant. Not a lot to do in the evenings for a solo traveller.
Average shop on site and the gift shop was extremely expensive.
Nice walks arond the grounds of the hotel with wildlife and birds aplenty.

Room Tip: Great if not travelling alone.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Lydia G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Parador, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thank you so much for your detailed review—we appreciate every comment as we are constantly striving to better our product. Our hotel does get rather quiet in the evenings, the excitement usually comes from our "Mysteries of the Night Tour," which we hope you had a chance to enjoy. We hope you had a pleasant trip back to England and were able to take home some nice memories of our country. Pura vida!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was our last accommodation for our tour group. What a beautiful hotel! Our tour operator really saved the best for the final leg of our tour. It's very classy with a touch of old world charm. We booked two adjoining rooms. One would have been enough for our family of four because the room is spacious with two queen size beds- very comfortable with fresh, crisp sheets and beddings. Bathroom is big and very clean. There's a balcony overlooking the garden. They also have premium suites with ocean view. Food served at the buffet is very good with nice variety. Having breakfast in the open veranda overlooking the ocean and the lush scenery around is such a treat. They have wonderful staff, very friendly and helpful. The hotel has two beautiful swimming pool that look almost like an infinity pool with the ocean as the background. Location is good, short drive to the park. It's a good base to explore the area.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your lovely review! We are happy you felt your tour operator "saved the best for last" and you could take home some extra special memories of our lovely country. We hope to see you again soon! ¡Pura vida!
Ely, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

We finished our honeymoon in this hotel so had a few nights to relax before heading home. Great hotel with lovely rooms, staff and facilities. We booked tours when we arrived and the staff were informative and friendly.
Overall we would definitely recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing us to end your stay in Costa Rica—it's always a pleasure to have honeymooners in our hotel. Congratulations on your recent nuptials and we wish you the very best on your new adventures together as a couple. ¡Pura vida!
Henderson, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Overall, we had a great stay at the Parador for the second part of our family vacation and I would recommend the property to others.

Arrival / check-in
Arrived after the long drive from Arenal. Was already excited to see monkeys on the road on the way up to the hotel! We were greeted by a cold drink and an ice cream sandwich for my little one – nice touch! Check-in was a breeze and they whisked us into a cart for the drive to our room. Along the way they showed us the various amenities of the property.

Room 3511
We were lucky enough to have a suite and it was beautiful. The room was very well appointed and very spacious. Our balcony provided an amazing view as well as a hot tub. One odd thing about the room was that the air conditioner (condenser part I guess) was right over where the sofa folded out. We used the sofa bed for my daughter so on the edge of the bed it was always a little wet. No big deal, but an odd design “feature.”

Grounds
The pools are lovely; however we did not try two of them since they were adults only. We spent a lot of time in the family pool – one side cool and one side warm. We also did the small mini golf course. On the last day we walked the trail around the hotel. It provided very nice views of the water. I didn’t see any animals on property, but my daughter did see a monkey run across the pool area one night.

We did not have a car so we basically just had our meals on property. The breakfast buffet was very good and included a number of great items. The other meals were just ok. The food was mediocre and the service was slow and a bit aloof at times. I didn’t come to Costa Rica for great food so this didn’t disappoint me too much. One night there was a wedding in progress so they had the more casual restaurant closed for the reception. We didn’t feel like anything fancy so they accommodated us by letting us order off the casual menu on the patio of the nicer restaurant.

Other
Manuel Antonio ( see separate review) – we took a tour with a guide and would highly recommend it. He spotted so many animals.
Internet was spotty so plan accordingly if that’s going to be a problem for you.
You are a bit isolated at this hotel so if you don’t have a car, plan on paying for taxis.

Room Tip: If you can afford a suite, go for it. you will be in a separate building that is quieter and provide...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Lydia G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Parador, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
We very much appreciate detailed reviews like yours, because it not only helps future guests to visualize their stay with us, but it also helps us to pinpoint where we can improve our service. Thanks for including the tip about a guide: they are trained to spot even the best-camouflaged animals you might otherwise walk right past. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again on your next trip to Costa Rica. Pura vida, amigos!
Worcester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

My wife and our adult son traveled to Hotel Parador in May 2014 and had an amazing time!

Room: We stayed in one of the vista suites that overlooked the suite pool, a good part of the property and the coastline. My son stayed in a premium plus room that had a great corner location and amazing views of wildlife in and among the trees.

Property: Fantastic property! Whether you just want to relax by a pool, or walk the grounds to take in the sites, Parador has it all. Howler, White-faced Capuchin and Squirrel monkeys were regular visitors to the property. Two- and Three-toed sloths were also sited several times.The birds were also amazing. The town of Manuel Antonio is a convenient location to visit other sites like the Manuel Antonio and Carrara national parks. I highly recommend the nite walk on the property...lots of cool sightings.

Food: Very good...it was the off-season when we were there, so some of the restaurants were operating on limited schedules. There are dining options and grocers off site if you choose, but plenty of variety on the menus on-site as well.

Staff: I feel the staff either make or break these types of vacations, and the professionals at Parador are among the best! From those at the front desk, to the wait staff in the restaurants, to the housekeeping and grounds crew, we were treated like royalty. Everyone was so warm and welcoming. I feel awful because I had written down all their names and since lost my notes.

Misc.: The drive from San Jose was fine. I understand the road used to be much more difficult to drive, but we found most of it rather well maintained and we experienced no problems with signage, etc. If you're reluctant, consider it part of the adventure. I found getting a car to be a good choice as it gave us the flexibility to get up and go anytime and anywhere we wanted. On the flip side, there is plenty to do there on the property, and if you want to venture off site they offer a number of excursions.

I can't say enough about Hotel Parador....beautiful views, friendly and helpful staff....strongly recommended!!! I thoroughly research vacation spots, and I read a number of the reviews. There will always be reviewers who choose to complain rather than find the good in the adventure. My last comment is somewhat of a testament to how wonderful the visit was. My wife is rather particular about vacations. My son and I like to go on adventures, and my wife likes to stay around the pool. I will surely hear about her disappointment if things aren't up to her standards. Well, I'm happy to report that she was glowing about Parador and the experience.

Hotel Parador won't disappoint!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Carlos C, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Parador, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Bill,

Thank you for choosing Parador Resort & Spa for your vacation in Manuel Antonio. We are thrilled to hear about your family's Parador experience including the amazing wildlife that surrounds the resort and are grateful for your kind comments about our staff, service, food, nature tours and amenities. Thank you for sharing our experience in this forum and we hope to welcome you back in the near future. Pura vida!

Been to Hotel Parador? Share your experiences!