“Great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Parador

You added Hotel Parador to your Saves list
Hotel Parador
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 284, Quepos, Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Chicago, Illinois
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

The hotel is one of the top notch hotels in the area according to our driver from the airport. The hotel itself was great and the rooms were wonderful. We were greeted with a lovely drink upon our arrival. The views from the property are just amazing. We were there during the green season so it was pretty deserted except for a handful of guests. I would recommend getting a suite room if you can. The suites are located in a separate building w/ a jacuzzi on your own private balcony. The room was pretty top notch.

Breakfast was really great with lots of different foods and drinks offered. The lunch menu was pretty decent also. Not sure if its just during the green season or what, but dinner at the restaurant in the hotel was pretty disappointing. The food wasn't that great and it was pretty expensive considering. Better bet to have a late lunch and then catch the happy hour at the bar.

There is a trail to the beach about 200 meters down the road. The trail is a bit rough at some parts, but the beach is pretty isolated. It would have been great to explore the area a bit as there were some interesting places to eat on the main road, but they were pretty far to walk to. There is a hotel shuttle that takes you to Manuel Antonio and back, but it would have been great if they made a stop in between the two locations for people to explore the area.

It was raining pretty hard 2 of the 3 days we were there so we stayed in and relaxed. The area is probably more exciting during the dry season, but since we went during the green season, it was pretty empty.

Room Tip: The suites have a really great view of the property, especially if you're on a higher floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
jrodriguezarroyo, Director of Sales at Hotel Parador, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
We love the green season, too, as things slow down a bit and we’re able to catch our breath—at least a little! The view from the suites is really unbeatable and there’s nothing like enjoying it from your Jacuzzi. We’re sorry you didn’t find our menu to your liking; did you have a chance to visit our other restaurants for dinner? We have a pretty extensive choice of dishes, hopefully you found something that caught your fancy. Manuel Antonio, by the way, is pretty laid back year round, so you really didn’t miss much. The excitement is in the beauty of the nature that surrounds us and in our many tours—especially with our star guide, Elias. We hope to see you here again soon, in any season!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I recently took a trip to Quepos and stayed at the Hotel Parador for 4 nights. While I was there I used many of the services ranging from the activities desk to arrange my various activities for each of the days, to using the spa, walking the natural trail on the property, and the pool.

Breakfast was included in with the room and was plentiful. And the food I experienced for other meals was flavorful.

The hotel provided shuttle service to and from Manuel Antonio park, but when I need assistance in getting dropped off in route to the park, they were happy to accomodate my request.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, including providing an assortment of recommendations on activities. The gift shop/sundaries was well stocked and I even was able to get a few great gifts.

The room was very clean and comfortable and while it was a garden room, I was able to see plenty, as well as hear various sounds of the area.

In addition to everything else, given the hotel is situated close to the Manuel Antonio park, they are very intune with not just the normal hotel water preservation efforts, but the larger eco-preservation initiatives.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Vallejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We like to have drinks by the pool every years we visit. The cocktails are very yummy and the view is outstanding!!! Nice gift shop too! The hotel is very clean and nice. Looked like they service a buffet for breakfast. See you next time for drinks!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Did you get a chance to enjoy our breakfast buffet?

We hope you did! We pride ourselves in the “yummy” selection of fresh fruit, freshly prepared omelettes, waffles and much more—just as tasty as our drinks! And we agree: the combination of good cocktails and a beautiful view is unbeatable. ¡Pura Vida!
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

As far as locations go, it would be hard to beat this hotel. The setting is pristine - you're on the edge of the rainforest overlooking the ocean. You feel like you're surrounded by forestry, which is great. The caveat is that there is no beach here. It's more like a cliff. You can walk 200 mtrs down the road and then 200 mtrs down a path, and get to something akin to a beach - but it's really a cove. If you're hoping for a "beach vacation," where you can lay on a sandy beach and be waited on, this is not the place for you. But otherwise the setting is gorgeous. Now on to the disappointing part. I was with a very large group (about 40). The staff seemed totally overwhelmed, especially when it came to dining - which is important, because this hotel is pretty isolated (you will need to drive in order to get to Quepos, the nearest town). On almost every occasion the service was lacking. It took a few times for them to get orders correct, and at times the wait staff was pretty rude. Probably the most annoying quirk about the place is their fixation on providing room numbers every single time you ordered a drink. They would ask for your room number before they actually delivered the drink. This is not a cheap hotel, and the people who stay here are not the kind of people who would walk a tab. But they really made you feel like you were! When I checked out of the hotel (again, another ridiculous inefficiency, in this day of express checkout), they asked if I had taken anything from the mini-bar in the room. I said that I took a bottled water the night before. The guy at the front desk made me wait while he called maid service to confirm that this was all I took! He literally made me wait for 5 minutes while they called him back. He was already about to charge my card about $700 for drinks/dinners I had put on the room during my stay, and he made me wait to confirm whether I had more than the bottled water (the contents of the mini-bar were were pretty modest, probably no more than $15 worth of stuff). It was offensive and ridiculous - again, treating guests like they're dishonest is not the final impression a hotel wants to leave. There were parts of the hotel that needed to be fixed. The hot tub wasn't working, and there were tiles missing from the swimming pools. The shower flooded the bathroom floor (some kind of design defect with the shower), and it was difficult to lock the sliding door that led to the patio. We asked for extra towels to address the shower situation, and they arrived only after having to request them 3 times. It's unfortunate that the hotel seems pretty poorly run, especially given its amazing location. If I returned to the area I would stay in another hotel in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear guest,

We are glad you enjoyed our spectacular location—it’s definitely one of our calling cards—and we thank you for pointing out some details that we will definitely look into. We apologize you had a less than stellar experience with our service, as we strive to always offer nothing less than the best. Please know that myself and our groups coordinator were always on hand and checking in to take care of any issues, and we would have been more than happy to do so during your stay so as to ensure your final impression was a positive one. Should you come back to Quepos we hope you will give us the opportunity to make it right.
Santa Teresa, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

First let me start by saying that my husband and I visited CR for 9 days. Manuel Antonio was the last stop before San Jose and we didnt book a hotel due to it being green season-even though I really wanted to but my husband wouldnt let me. Thank god because the place that I wanted was a dump. We visited and toured six or seven hotels in the area and even though they were offering very low rates none compared to the Parador. The Suites is the way to go. It is the newest part of the property with its own pool and a fantastic view. The staff was amazing, very attentive and friendly. They have a private nature trail and a beach right on their property. The room was absolutely beautiful with a jacuzzi on the balcony and a fantastic view of the pacific ocean. The room was top notch, very clean and the bed was super comfy! We saw two types of monkeys and all sorts of birds. The only bad thing i have to say is the food was ok...but the drinks were great!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
jrodriguezarroyo, Director of Sales at Hotel Parador, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
We’re so glad you took a chance on us! Our guests love staying in Las Suites, with the amazing views and the privacy, it’s a winner all the way around. We’re sorry the food wasn’t to your liking—did you get a chance to try all of our restaurants? We have a very varied menu from sushi to steak and, of course, fresh seafood. As for the cocktails: ¡salud! We hope you enjoyed them with a side of sunset 
Northport, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We went a little off season and it was th ebest thing possible, the place was fairly quiet and the area surrounding was extremely so. No problem getting to see anything or explore. Everyone we met seemed to have time to spare. Hotel staff, amenities and atmosphere are top class. The views were amazing, loved CR in general.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a View suite, it is worth the money, rooms are excellent and very spacious
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Some of our guests prefer visiting in the “green” season for exactly the same reason: the hotel is quieter, but as in the “high” season, you never run out of things to do and see. Not to mention the rainforest animals are around all year! We’ll pass on your comments to our staff—they love to know when our guests leave happy. Come back soon!
Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

In early October I had the pleasure of staying at this wonderful hotel. I went with my father (67 years old) and my son (11 years old). From arrival the reception staff was excellent. The bedroom was clean and comfortable. Great view of the sea from the lovely pool. My son and my dad enjoyed the mini golf and the beach nearby, Biesanz. Excellent souvenir shops and good prices. Delicious food and affordable prices. Do not miss the sushi, the club sandwich, the excellent coffee and the breakfast incredible buffet.Mejor impossible!!! Our best experience in a while. All staff helpful at all times. My son left a valuable object forgotten in the pool and was returned by the waiter in the afternoon (we didnt noticed the abscence of the object at that time). The Spa excellent, I enjoyed a facial and a pedicure, I recommend both. Thank you http://www.ecogetawayscr.com/ who sent us to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Your story is a perfect example of how our hotel caters to the entire family—young and old! Thanks so much for sharing. We do our best to make sure our guests have a complete 5-star experience, from the accommodations to the food, the pool, the spa, and yes, our staff is a big part of it as well. We hope you had the chance to take one of the nature tours at Manuel Antonio or on our own grounds and took home many great pics of the local wildlife. We’re happy it was a memorable vacation for all of you in the very best way possible.

Been to Hotel Parador? Share your experiences!